is this SUPPOSED to happen?

#1ULT1MAPosted 3/7/2013 4:49:35 PM
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6753/helpoq.jpg

The area circled on the left (in white has houses from residential zone.

The area on the right (in red) does not, even though it has been there for a VERY long time, and they demand more zones.

Why wont people move into that area? Sorry I just got this game today.
---
DFI BloodIron | Q6600@3.2 GHZ | EVGA GTX 460 1GB Superclocked | 4 GB Corsair | NZXT Nemesis | Vista 64 Bit
#2EvalastPosted 3/7/2013 4:52:01 PM
that land is used up, just tiny houses take the space up. Need to build in blocks to get apartment buildings and eventually high rises.
#3ULT1MA(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 4:54:10 PM
Any way you can explain to me what "building in blocks" means?
---
DFI BloodIron | Q6600@3.2 GHZ | EVGA GTX 460 1GB Superclocked | 4 GB Corsair | NZXT Nemesis | Vista 64 Bit
#4TheWayOfTheGunPosted 3/7/2013 4:55:56 PM
I'm digging the circle streets but yea, you need blocks because the zone lots are only so big.

I wish we could import real maps because it would be awesome to try and recreate DC with all the circle streets.
#5ZaishiPosted 3/7/2013 5:49:27 PM
They should be moving into that red area, at least small houses, there's enough room. Only thing I can think of is maybe it's too close to the border.
#6ULT1MA(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 5:51:17 PM
Anyone? "Building in blocks?" Means...?
---
#7GOGOPLATAS_WiiPosted 3/7/2013 6:02:30 PM
Building in blocks means building your streets in a grid pattern. It allows you to place buildings more efficiently.

What you have is inefficient... But yes, houses should be forming there. That must be a glitch. People telling you to "build in blocks" are not addressing your problem lol
#8ZaishiPosted 3/7/2013 6:08:01 PM
He was talking about something not related to your current issue. He meant using roads to create blocks on the suggested guidelines, this gives buildings the correct amount of space to upgrade into higher densities. If you build a circle, the outer ring might upgrade if given the space, but the inner ring is going to be stuck on low density unless the circle is really big. Looking at your setup I can tell most of those buildings are never going to upgrade to medium density.

I should also mention that the "pathfinding" for both traffic and sewage can't really handle circles. They get stuck in them often, or sometimes go around and around for no reason. Overall circles just don't work in this game.