Origin won't launch sim city

#1MattbobmanPosted 3/8/2013 2:27:50 AM
I have installed Sim City, limited edition via origin. After downloading alarmingly fast (does it usually download in about two minutes?) I tried to launch it, and nothing happens. I can't press launch again after I have pressed it once because origin thinks I am playing the game and on my task manager I can see a process called simcity.exe using 180k memory that cannot be canceled, but apart from that nothing. I have tried restarting my computer and uninstalling and re installing the game. any advice?
#2Lord_VaderPosted 3/8/2013 2:48:39 AM(edited)
Mattbobman posted...
I have installed Sim City, limited edition via origin. After downloading alarmingly fast (does it usually download in about two minutes?) I tried to launch it, and nothing happens. I can't press launch again after I have pressed it once because origin thinks I am playing the game and on my task manager I can see a process called simcity.exe using 180k memory that cannot be canceled, but apart from that nothing. I have tried restarting my computer and uninstalling and re installing the game. any advice?

Get a refund. This game is broken and the game may or may not be fixed within the next few days/weeks. It is having many launch issues up to the point where you may not even be able to connect to a server. And when you are able to connect, there is a high chance of you getting disconnected or the game crashing. There are other bugs as well such as the city connections not working. I would get my money back and not buy this game until they fix the issues and/or the price is reduced to $30. If you bought it through Amazon then they will issue refunds. If not then contact and hassle EA Live Chat employees till they give you your money back.
---
Live long and prosper.
#3Mattbobman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 2:57:31 AM
I bought the game directly via origin.
I was hoping for some advice if I didn't want a refund, I also noticed that after I launched sim city I couldn't shut down my computer unless I turned up off physically
#4SenatorLifestonPosted 3/8/2013 3:05:44 AM
This game is not broken. There were certainly server issues but they're being ironed out from what I can tell. I've been able to play at any time during the 7th with no issues. This was vastly different from the 6th during which I could not play at all. I was not disconnected at all yesterday or so far this morning. This did happen on launch night to me although it did regain connection to the servers that night, I did not lose any progress.

To be entirely honest, I'm having a great deal of fun with this game. The connection issues were certainly frustrating the 5th / 6th but today has been great. As to your specific issue of not being able to run once installed, I'm honestly not sure. I know for me it took a few minutes to install the CD version and probably another five for updates. It sounds like some part is not installing correctly. Did you ever install the Beta? I recall reading in one of the threads that can be an issue.
#5Mattbobman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 3:07:49 AM
I have no beta version installed, I downloaded the game digitally straight from origin. :)
#6SenatorLifestonPosted 3/8/2013 3:15:11 AM
Well, as you haven't seen it yet I'll say this. The game launches a front window similar to WoW or SW:ToR. This window is actually what checks the game and ensures it is up to day. It may be that window that is trying to launch. You might try running the application as an administrator. Not having installed the digital version I am not a ton of help, sorry.
#7Mattbobman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 3:18:42 AM
I'll click "play" and the initial window comes up saying that it is preparing to launch sim city, and then that disappears followed by nothing.
#8SenatorLifestonPosted 3/8/2013 3:23:02 AM
Yes, you click play in Origin and then that launches another small window. That is the launch window I was referring to. How long do you wait before closing the program?
#9Mattbobman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 3:25:53 AM
I don't close anything, Sim city simply doesn't move onto the nest window. That window comes up, then closes and then nothing happens no matter how long I wait
#10SenatorLifestonPosted 3/8/2013 3:29:03 AM
Try launching whatever is installed directly. You should be able to find the SimCity folder wherever you had it installed (I believe it's in the Origin folder by default.) Once there perhaps try launching it as an admin. Also, the full game is 2.15G when fully installed.