Freight Terminal

#1carporamaPosted 3/8/2013 8:32:19 AM
Why do they let you buy and place it when you can't use it yet(must meet requirements in trade HQ or Metals HQ)?
#2ZaishiPosted 3/8/2013 8:37:37 AM
It works for normal freight from the start. Hook it to rails or water and can send loads of goods to your commercial districts (cities) with ease.
#3carporama(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 8:41:29 AM
Zaishi posted...
It works for normal freight from the start. Hook it to rails or water and can send loads of goods to your commercial districts (cities) with ease.

Then it's broke in my city. The trains just roll right on through the terminal. Or it's because factories won't deliver freight to them. Seems even trade depot freight storage stays empty unless you drop it right next to your factories and that makes no sense.
#4ZaishiPosted 3/8/2013 8:45:51 AM
If your storage is staying empty it's because all of it is being consumed. If you aren't moving that much of it around, and it's only going to a city next door, the normal trucks can handle it over the highway. The freight terminal is likely not doing anything for you then.

It's a pretty important building for linking cities not connected by road, or for moving really large quantities of freight and resources.
#5carporama(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 8:55:05 AM
Zaishi posted...
If your storage is staying empty it's because all of it is being consumed. If you aren't moving that much of it around, and it's only going to a city next door, the normal trucks can handle it over the highway. The freight terminal is likely not doing anything for you then.

It's a pretty important building for linking cities not connected by road, or for moving really large quantities of freight and resources.

Freight is messed up in general. I have industry closing down because of nowhere to ship freight while my freight storage lots stay empty.
#6ZaishiPosted 3/8/2013 9:06:55 AM
I've had industry heavy cities that relied heavily on freight storage and transportation and it seemed to all work for me at the time. Not sure what could be making it not work for you.
#7carporama(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 9:17:29 AM
I'm going to mess with my current city. Bulldoze an outlying depot and rebuild it next to some industry that keeps going under because of nowhere to ship freight. I am a noob to SimCity and much of it either seems to not make sense or just doesn't work right yet. Two nights in a row I've been up to 5AM playing. Guess that's a positive comment for the game from the noobs perspective. thanks for your thoughts on the freight
#8jonasfPosted 3/12/2013 9:58:50 AM
I'm buiding a factory/production city and here's my experience with depots so far:
Open the factory map/layer and you'll see yellow and blue delivery trucks moving about(follow them to inspect what they do). Factories also have yellow bars showing freight available for shipment. If you have enough commercial buildings plus trade depots/ports there should be very little to no freight built up in the factories. The trade depot isn't used for storage, if it builds up it means demand is too low for the produce of your industry. To add demand you can add more commercial buildings or add more freight storage in depot/port/airport. Depot freight storage functions as a global demand or in other words commercial buildings outside your city. The more storage you add the more commercial volume of demand from the outside world for your products. For resources depots function as storage to be traded later, not so with freight. With freight depot, storage functions as a way to add commercial demand for industry products, like building more commercial buildings. Imagine a low wealth city with lots of industry, the workers themselves cannot afford buying that much from local industry, so have to ship to commercial buildings outside their city. But in order to do this demand from the outside world has to be created, which is what you do when you add freight storage in depots/ports. I get this message about nowhere to ship freight even though there is no freight built up in the factories(no yellow bars) and my advisor says freight is doing great! So it's a bug, you need to watch the factory layer and build depots or commercial buildings to create demand to soak up the yellow bars. If you see no yellow bars and no freight built up in depots you're doing great and should see strong profit and demand for workers at your factories.

BTW, I imagine depots for a commercial, consumption based city is the equivalent of adding factory production from factory buildings outside your city. I will test this when building a consumption based city later, but it makes sense to me. Instead of building factories you could build depots/port/airport with freight storage to to make up for the lack of industry buildings. Maybe someone who's building a commercial/consumer based city can provide more thoughts on this?
#9spankytheslothPosted 3/13/2013 5:29:47 PM
I'm having the same problem with a trade depot right around the block. I am guessing it is due to heavy traffic, but since there is nothing we can really do about the traffic problems right now, I'm stuck.
---
Brushes with death are like snowflakes; each one is unique, and if you have enough of them you can make a snowman.