Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#1KingRajeshPosted 3/8/2013 10:56:27 AM
If it wasn't for a long history on the PC of PC gamers cracking, pirating, cheating, duping items, hacking and/or otherwise breaking the EULA/ToS of many games, companies like EA, Activision, and Blizzard wouldn't have been FORCED to add highly restrictive DRM, always-online restrictions, and other redundancies.

The culprit is and always has been the 'entitled' PC gamer, who wants to play games but not pay for them, and wants to cheat and win quickly when he does play those games.

SimCity should be a wakeup call not for EA, but for what PC gamers have done to the PC gaming market.
---
Prophet of the Church of Wilson-ism #GoHawks #NoTimeToSleep
NFLB's 2012-2013 Best Fan - Seattle Seahawks
#2masterdantePosted 3/8/2013 10:57:23 AM
Thanks, officer!!!
#3AnonUnknownPosted 3/8/2013 10:58:21 AM
Okay.
#4Southpaw89Posted 3/8/2013 10:58:28 AM
I completely agree. Yes EA deserves blame for not being prepared with their servers but I don't blame them at all for their anti-piracy stance that has led to this. Gamers who pirate now or did in the past are to blame.
#5PRNDLPosted 3/8/2013 10:59:46 AM
No, people pirate because they don't want to deal with DRM.
#6WhenZebrasgobadPosted 3/8/2013 11:01:05 AM
But at least Steam doesn't spy on me.

We all know origin is pretty much legal corporate spyware.
---
orc
#7ShieftainPosted 3/8/2013 11:02:25 AM
Hahaha, what a story Mark!
---
Now I'm motivated!
#8CrazyRosscoPosted 3/8/2013 11:02:47 AM
"Real talk"

Vomit.
---
Don't suffer from insanity, enjoy it.
#9KingRajesh(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 11:03:54 AM
PRNDL posted...
No, people pirate because they don't want to deal with DRM.

So when people were using CD-key generators for Diablo II, Starcraft way back in the day... they didn't want to deal with DRM?

Sure, people TODAY pirate because they don't want to deal with DRM, but that's not the whole picture, and is asymptomatic of the short-sightedness of the PC gamer. Their actions in the PAST created the DRM monster.
---
Prophet of the Church of Wilson-ism #GoHawks #NoTimeToSleep
NFLB's 2012-2013 Best Fan - Seattle Seahawks
#10ManiusPrimePosted 3/8/2013 11:04:08 AM
I don't pirate and look at the Facebook posts and Twitter. The Pirates would of altered the game to play offline. Which is exactly what people wanted.

Steam although online it doesn't require you to play in a multiplayer game. I got around it by just playing private games. I can see people turning to pirates simply because they paid for a game and cannot play that game.

If EA would fix their problems with Steam. It might have gone the other way. SC might not be getting hammered as the most botched launch of 2013. I can't see any company doing a worse job.
---
Manius
Imperator