Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#11supervegito24Posted 3/8/2013 11:04:27 AM
PRNDL posted...
No, people pirate because they don't want to deal with DRM.

What came first? Pirating computer programs or DRM?
---
See whatever is up there^? Yes that. It's a lie. Oh wait you already knew that? Well in that case all of it is completely true.
#12Cloud_Ultima_91Posted 3/8/2013 11:04:55 AM
Yeah since people steal IRL I think we should have cops following everyone any time they're out in public to make sure they don't do anything bad. It's all our fault, we bring it upon ourselves.
---
3ds friend code
2423-1888-2537
#13SlickRacerPrimePosted 3/8/2013 11:06:26 AM
Always-online single player DRM isn't going to result in pirates buying instead of pirating.

If the pirate is smart, he waits for server emulation software. He might also see the launch day disaster and be turned off from ever playing the game.

If the pirate isn't so smart, he decides to buy the game because it's the only way to play. However, the DRM turns out to make for a horrible experience, and now he is even less likely to buy games.

Nobody benefits from always-on DRM. Not even EA will, in the long run.
---
This post is 98% water.
#14KingRajesh(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 11:11:33 AM
ManiusPrime posted...
I don't pirate and look at the Facebook posts and Twitter. The Pirates would of altered the game to play offline. Which is exactly what people wanted.

Steam although online it doesn't require you to play in a multiplayer game. I got around it by just playing private games. I can see people turning to pirates simply because they paid for a game and cannot play that game.

If EA would fix their problems with Steam. It might have gone the other way. SC might not be getting hammered as the most botched launch of 2013. I can't see any company doing a worse job.

If there was cracked offline play, then a pirated version with the cracked already cooked in would be up on Pirate Bay within the hour, and EA wouldn't make a dime.
---
Prophet of the Church of Wilson-ism #GoHawks #NoTimeToSleep
NFLB's 2012-2013 Best Fan - Seattle Seahawks
#15Drippy89Posted 3/8/2013 11:12:16 AM
The real reason is EA is greedy and wants every single dollar they can get from people. They combat piracy by alienating their real customers. Besides, "stealing" is part of business. It happens in all type of settings. People steal food from grocery stores all the time, but you don't see the stores making it 300 times more difficult for their real customers to by food. People steal clothes as well, but you don't see those businesses requiring an access card to enter their store.
#16KingRajesh(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 11:14:55 AM
Cloud_Ultima_91 posted...
Yeah since people steal IRL I think we should have cops following everyone any time they're out in public to make sure they don't do anything bad. It's all our fault, we bring it upon ourselves.

This doesn't logically follow from my premise. While I don't expect much logical thinking from entitled PC gamers who don't believe that past pirating actions have ANY effect on what companies do today, this is just terrible.

When people steal IRL, companies lock the product (video games) behind glass (DRM), or use alarm tags, or use camera to stop thieves. This is what DRM does. DRM doesn't troll through your computer, watching and reporting every time you visit Pirate Bay.
---
#17TeremeiPosted 3/8/2013 11:15:02 AM
lol. Yet DRM free pay to own sites like gog.com seem to be growing and doing very well.

Problem is, offering little value for your money. EA releases bare bones base sets, then charges you additional full priced games just to add to an incomplete game. I say the problem is lemmings like you who have been brainwashed into being the puppets of large corporations who don't use the motto "customer first". If EA released a DRM free offline game that was like the spiritual successor to Sim City 4 it would sell like mad and EA wouldn't have to DRM it at all. EA has made a **** ton of money off SIMS and SIM CITY despite pirating. You have no ******* clue, you sound like a brainwashed fox news watcher spouting talking point nonsense about things you have absolutely no knowledge of.
---
B2FC: 3268 4276 3305 last $$: Persona 4 Golden LE, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Harvest Moon ANB
Playing:
#18boochyPosted 3/8/2013 11:15:59 AM
We pirate, so EA decides to not let paying customers play. Brilliant!
---
Xbox Live GT/PSN ID - Duck Tales LOL/DuckTalesLOL
Steam ID: DuckTalesLOL
#19mcxar2000Posted 3/8/2013 11:16:32 AM
People that pirate a game would not have bought it anyway, how many years of piracy did game developers and music have? 15? 20? maybe more, in that time multi-billon dollar companies have been born like EA, Blizzard, Ubisoft, Bethesda, etc.

Even with piracy they made billons, but its piracy what is the perfect scapegoat for their almost illegal practices and bad management, we have been feed the same crap for years now.

Just like with movies, the making millons anyways, and they get away with horrible movies, the ammount of crap that comes out of hollywood is off the charts! but people continue going to the cinema to see that crap, so whats the natural response of big companies? make more crap.

The day you people stop purchasing out of impulse and companies have to actually see what pile of dung they are going to release because no one will buy it otherwise, that day is when things will change, meanwhile enjoy your leased games and invasive DRMs.
#20KingRajesh(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 11:18:15 AM
Drippy89 posted...
The real reason is EA is greedy and wants every single dollar they can get from people. They combat piracy by alienating their real customers. Besides, "stealing" is part of business. It happens in all type of settings. People steal food from grocery stores all the time, but you don't see the stores making it 300 times more difficult for their real customers to by food. People steal clothes as well, but you don't see those businesses requiring an access card to enter their store.

Lol. EA is "greedy"? They're a corporation, which is LEGALLY BOUND to their shareholders to do whatever it takes to make money. Calling EA greedy is basically saying that all corporations are greedy, which would be true, but isn't something that is exclusive to EA.

And while people steal food from Grocery stores, the more expensive things, like razor blades, condoms, cigaretes are all locked behind the counter (REAL LIFE DRM). Same with clothes, which all have ink tags that explode and ruin the clothes if you try to remove them. Same with video games, where all of the video games are taken out of the box, and hidden behind the counter to stop theft.

Life is FULL of DRM.
---