Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#151Mocking CrowPosted 3/8/2013 5:30:29 PM
Shaidon posted...
Heff228 posted...
Has nobody here heard of cause and effect?

And what are the causes of piracy?

Look, I'm not "defending", just trying to get all the points of view, before jumping into conclusions.

Causes of piracy are people who just dont want to BUY the software... thats pretty self explanitory, and because its so easy to accomplish, its a growing trend.

There is plenty of over priced software out there, not counting just games, but plenty of fairly priced software that MILLIONS have "stolen," simply because. Even the people who hack the games specifically state "if you like it... BUY IT!" Most dont buy it, even when they put it in more than enough hours.
---
Normal was defined by an arrogant or closed minded man who knew too little.
#152Kitchen SinkPosted 3/8/2013 5:31:22 PM
So companies like EA and Blizzard wanted to send a message to thousands who pirate and instead, negatively affected the millions who purchase the game.

Yeah real smart on that one
---
Flanders - I think we hit something
Homer - I hope it was Flanders
#153GastroidPosted 3/8/2013 5:33:49 PM
its a weak argument, but you linking ONE guys comment is a weak argument as well.

That one guy = the CEO of a profitable software and video game publisher. Stardock may not be as large as EA, but it consistently posts a profit year over year. It's not into the hemorrhage money and consolidate properties business that EA likes be a part of.
---
Arbitoid
Fourth Generation Nanite-based Android Series
#154ShaidonPosted 3/8/2013 5:37:09 PM
Mocking Crow posted...
Causes of piracy are people who just dont want to BUY the software... thats pretty self explanitory, and because its so easy to accomplish, its a growing trend.

There is plenty of over priced software out there, not counting just games, but plenty of fairly priced software that MILLIONS have "stolen," simply because. Even the people who hack the games specifically state "if you like it... BUY IT!" Most dont buy it, even when they put it in more than enough hours.

K, this is your opinion, but how are you certain of this?
---
50% of the challenge is made by the game. The other fifty, by the player.
#155CBratePosted 3/8/2013 5:41:33 PM
If games were more affordable people wouldn't be so prone to pirate. Works for iTunes, Steam and Netflix.
---
To all the trolls out there, I have 180 users on my ignore list. Come at me. My list needs to grow...
The latest ignoree: AceAndJunpei
#156SudiekenPosted 3/8/2013 5:43:24 PM
There are a hundred reason EA games deserve to be pirated that have nothing to do with DRM.
#157spraynardtatumPosted 3/8/2013 5:43:43 PM
ImpurePariah posted...
spraynardtatum posted...
Alamyst_ posted...
DRM only gives game a short life. When the game server closes the game is gone. The next of the series is sure to be released around that same time and the process will continually repeat.

Game corporations are setting record profits and posting larger sales numbers than Hollywood or the music industry. Yet they continually claim that pirates are hurting their profits.

I see a ton of game studios closing too. Where is all that money going?

The trading market hurts video game companies wayyyy more than piracy.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2357388242x0x631762/8f3be597-532c-4b4a-9f49-a19ac588659a/Q3FY13_EarningsSlides_FINAL.pdf

I just found this and it looks like their full year 2012 digital revenues amounted to $1,227,000,000 and their operating expenses were $70 million lower than GUIDANCED.

I'm sure that the trading markets and piracy hurt them a little bit but they made over one billion dollars in digital revenue just in 2012.... they're doing more than okay with it.
---
Happy birthday Spray! I'm disappointed in you!
#158P00DGEPosted 3/8/2013 5:46:37 PM
Steam does just fine without the ludicrous protections EA is using. EA is just evil. The PC market is lucrative, and the majority of the playerbase are NOT pirates.
#159ETS_ZeroPosted 3/8/2013 5:52:36 PM
Your logic broken since DRM DOESN'T stop pirates (barely slows them down) BUT it DOES stop paying customers often soooo fail
#160GastroidPosted 3/8/2013 6:06:29 PM
Steam does just fine without the ludicrous protections EA is using. EA is just evil. The PC market is lucrative, and the majority of the playerbase are NOT pirates.

At the very least Steam allows for offline mode play of games.
---
Lithos Mech Hektor
Horseman of the Apocalypse - Famine