Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#161ShatteringGlassPosted 3/8/2013 6:08:50 PM
Late to the party, not going to read the 160 posts, but I'm gonna say that the amount of pirates compared to actual paying customers has to be fractional.

All DRM does is piss off the loyal customers.
---
"Women... they smell nice, but they are soul murderers" - William Murderface
NY Giants 2012: 9-7. No Playoffs. Ugh.
#162Psycko101Posted 3/8/2013 6:09:28 PM
Spread the word....xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBH4g_ua5es
---
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."-Dr Samuel Johnson
#163crazyrabbitsPosted 3/8/2013 6:17:50 PM
The moment the OP retorted someone's argument with the line "Life is FULL of DRM" is the moment I realized he was either trolling or hopelessly misguided.

Here's some "real talk" for you: piracy has always existed, and always will exist. If you create a product in any shape or form, chances are extremely high that someone, somewhere will take the steps to pirate it. Why they do this is myriad: people who don't want to pay, people who are redistributing their disposable income, people who want to "try before they buy", people who can't buy a copy legally in their own country, etc.

Books were being pirated in the 17th and 18th centuries. Cassette-trading was huge in the early 90's (and, in fact, piracy gave rise to groups like Metallica), MP3 sharing was huge in the late 90's and early 00's, etc, etc. No matter what medium you publish in, you will have people pirating your product. The difference between the companies that succeed and the ones who fail are whether they innovate and/or make buying their products easy for consumers. Pirates have also been shown (through studies) to be some of the largest buyers of products they pirate, apparently because can see the product they bought and can make an informed decision about buying similar products in a greater amount.

This is not to glorify piracy, but simply to point a number of flaws that people who decry it often make.

EA is an example of a company that has hindered the gaming industry via their backwards and draconian practices. As said above, DRM hurts no one but paying customers. It is exceedingly easy to crack or bypass DRM by going online and downloading a patch for it. Ubisoft tried the same model with their proprietary DRM, and games like Assassin's Creed II were pirated even more than they normally would have been as a result.
#164madmatt243Posted 3/8/2013 6:39:47 PM
KingRajesh posted...
ManiusPrime posted...
I don't pirate and look at the Facebook posts and Twitter. The Pirates would of altered the game to play offline. Which is exactly what people wanted.

Steam although online it doesn't require you to play in a multiplayer game. I got around it by just playing private games. I can see people turning to pirates simply because they paid for a game and cannot play that game.

If EA would fix their problems with Steam. It might have gone the other way. SC might not be getting hammered as the most botched launch of 2013. I can't see any company doing a worse job.

If there was cracked offline play, then a pirated version with the cracked already cooked in would be up on Pirate Bay within the hour, and EA wouldn't make a dime.

But only because of the DRM. Sure some might pirate it, but a number would buy it. Maybe if Origin wasn't utter crap, people might buy from it. I know numerous people who have pirated less now that they can buy cheap games on Steam
#165MaverickXeoPosted 3/8/2013 6:41:52 PM
No, people pirate because they don't want to deal with DRM.

Thats why Ive done it in the past. Most times, with steam, I just buy the games on steam. WAY nicer and a lot easier to deal with (in terms of DRM). I havent actually pirated a game in years due to steam.
---
--- MaverickXeo ---
#166nivenvPosted 3/8/2013 6:42:24 PM
I'm pretty sure, this game WILL get pirated, and more people will actually pirate this game in retaliation. DRM has never really done anything to piracy.
#167DadansterPosted 3/8/2013 6:44:41 PM
In all honesty, DRM has probably cost EA more sales than piracy ever has.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3qchfkw http://i.imgur.com/5vUHL.gif
#168ImpurePariahPosted 3/8/2013 6:48:26 PM
spraynardtatum posted...
ImpurePariah posted...
spraynardtatum posted...
Alamyst_ posted...
DRM only gives game a short life. When the game server closes the game is gone. The next of the series is sure to be released around that same time and the process will continually repeat.

Game corporations are setting record profits and posting larger sales numbers than Hollywood or the music industry. Yet they continually claim that pirates are hurting their profits.

I see a ton of game studios closing too. Where is all that money going?

The trading market hurts video game companies wayyyy more than piracy.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2357388242x0x631762/8f3be597-532c-4b4a-9f49-a19ac588659a/Q3FY13_EarningsSlides_FINAL.pdf

I just found this and it looks like their full year 2012 digital revenues amounted to $1,227,000,000 and their operating expenses were $70 million lower than GUIDANCED.

I'm sure that the trading markets and piracy hurt them a little bit but they made over one billion dollars in digital revenue just in 2012.... they're doing more than okay with it.

Revenue is before expenses. Also their expenses were 70 million lower than predicted. I didn't read far enough to see what the actual expenses were.

My comment was about console games. You cannot trade in computer games. And digital revenue has nothing to do with console games, and the used game market.
---
http://www.shadowbrotherhood.org
PSN: ImpurePariah GT: Fieryballs
#169ImpurePariahPosted 3/8/2013 6:52:37 PM
crazyrabbits posted...
The moment the OP retorted someone's argument with the line "Life is FULL of DRM" is the moment I realized he was either trolling or hopelessly misguided.

Here's some "real talk" for you: piracy has always existed, and always will exist. If you create a product in any shape or form, chances are extremely high that someone, somewhere will take the steps to pirate it. Why they do this is myriad: people who don't want to pay, people who are redistributing their disposable income, people who want to "try before they buy", people who can't buy a copy legally in their own country, etc.

Books were being pirated in the 17th and 18th centuries. Cassette-trading was huge in the early 90's (and, in fact, piracy gave rise to groups like Metallica), MP3 sharing was huge in the late 90's and early 00's, etc, etc. No matter what medium you publish in, you will have people pirating your product. The difference between the companies that succeed and the ones who fail are whether they innovate and/or make buying their products easy for consumers. Pirates have also been shown (through studies) to be some of the largest buyers of products they pirate, apparently because can see the product they bought and can make an informed decision about buying similar products in a greater amount.

This is not to glorify piracy, but simply to point a number of flaws that people who decry it often make.

EA is an example of a company that has hindered the gaming industry via their backwards and draconian practices. As said above, DRM hurts no one but paying customers. It is exceedingly easy to crack or bypass DRM by going online and downloading a patch for it. Ubisoft tried the same model with their proprietary DRM, and games like Assassin's Creed II were pirated even more than they normally would have been as a result.

I cannot speak for all people who download, but when I download a CD, I don't go out and buy it the next day.
---
http://www.shadowbrotherhood.org
PSN: ImpurePariah GT: Fieryballs
#170anonymous4everPosted 3/8/2013 7:10:07 PM
From what I understand, pirates have already circumvented the DRM and are up and running well ahead of legitimate customers.