Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#191blue calxPosted 3/8/2013 9:41:40 PM
A lot of times, game companies will make a sub-standard turd of a game all while drinking enough Kool Aid to convince themselves they are making God's Gift To Gaming.

Then when sales flop, they're still drunk on the Kool Aid enough that they'll scapegoat whatever they can find to blame poor sales on anything besides their own incompetence and lack of professional ability.

Piracy is that scapegoat. Always has been, always will be.
#192BigTlovesBEERPosted 3/8/2013 9:52:31 PM
But pirates will still crack this game like they do all of EA's games. The problem is DRM just screws over the people that legit pay and want to support the developers.
#193ghostmaker650Posted 3/8/2013 9:54:51 PM
SlickRacerPrime posted...
Always-online single player DRM isn't going to result in pirates buying instead of pirating.

If the pirate is smart, he waits for server emulation software. He might also see the launch day disaster and be turned off from ever playing the game.

If the pirate isn't so smart, he decides to buy the game because it's the only way to play. However, the DRM turns out to make for a horrible experience, and now he is even less likely to buy games.

Nobody benefits from always-on DRM. Not even EA will, in the long run.

Exactly.

The last game I've purchased was skyrim the day it came out. Every game since then let's just say I borrowed from a friend. Then a few days ago out of nowhere I discover that there's a new simcity, and it's just released too! No way I can wait around till my friend has it available to share. So the fact that I didn't want to wait AND it's a franchise that i'm glad to support with my money, I spend $80 and buy it.

Moral of the story? I'll probably never spend my money on the simcity franchise or any EA game again. But that doesn't mean I won't be playing their future games ;) So enjoy my 80 bucks EA, you won't be seeing another cent from me. I look forward to your future releases though.
#194machetemanPosted 3/8/2013 10:12:39 PM
“DRM doesn't stop theft of games, let's make that clear,” Longino told Destructoid. “It's a false argument to say it does. Every game that came out this year -- every single one regardless of the kind of DRM on it -- was pirated.

Of course it was pirated...because the DRM was crackable. People don't pirate an uncrackable game....it kind of defeats the purpose.

Why don't you ask all those pirates playing a cracked Diablo 3.....oh wait. DRM success. Anyone and everyone that wanted to play Diablo 3 has purchased it. No pirated copies floating around.

If you STILL say "I'd buy it if it didnt have DRM", you're just kidding yourself. You aren't buying it because you don't really feel like spending money on an "average" game you didn't have a lot of interest in in the first place.
#195Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/8/2013 10:14:48 PM
macheteman posted...
“DRM doesn't stop theft of games, let's make that clear,” Longino told Destructoid. “It's a false argument to say it does. Every game that came out this year -- every single one regardless of the kind of DRM on it -- was pirated.

Of course it was pirated...because the DRM was crackable. People don't pirate an uncrackable game....it kind of defeats the purpose.

Why don't you ask all those pirates playing a cracked Diablo 3.....oh wait. DRM success. Anyone and everyone that wanted to play Diablo 3 has purchased it. No pirated copies floating around.

If you STILL say "I'd buy it if it didnt have DRM", you're just kidding yourself. You aren't buying it because you don't really feel like spending money on an "average" game you didn't have a lot of interest in in the first place.

But diablo 3 wasn't a singleplayer game....
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#196machetemanPosted 3/8/2013 10:18:22 PM

Are you being sarcastic?
#197RavianisPosted 3/8/2013 10:21:44 PM
And yet you fail to cite ANY sources that corroborate your theory.

Well played sir well played.
#198machetemanPosted 3/8/2013 10:23:46 PM
And yet you fail to cite ANY sources that corroborate your theory.

Well played sir well played.

Are you talking to me?
#199Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/8/2013 10:23:52 PM
macheteman posted...

Are you being sarcastic?

Maybe.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#200RavianisPosted 3/8/2013 10:33:16 PM
That was for OP.