Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SimCity
  3. Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

User Info: squidney2k1

squidney2k1
3 years ago#201
If they are going to have an always-on requirement, then it should ****ING WORK! Plain and simple. End of story.

I pay...yet I can't play. No excuse. Period.
\m/ (O_o) \m/ Alan Wake deserves a full sequel. Xenosaga Deserves a full sequel. Dark Cloud deserves a full sequel.

User Info: macheteman

macheteman
3 years ago#202
macheteman posted...
But diablo 3 wasn't a singleplayer game....

Are you being sarcastic?

Maybe.

Well if you weren't being sarcastic, then I would say to you "Neither is SimCity. You can't say Diablo 3 wasn't a singleplayer game, then say SimCity is, when their DRM is identical and previous iterations had singleplayer components. "

If you were being sarcastic, then I would say to you "I guess what youre trying to say is that Diablo 3 is an MMO that is meant to be played ONLY online, and therefore can't be cracked (similar to other MMOs, ignoring private servers). Well, if you want to change a games' genre from Diablo 2-> Diablo 3 and say all of a sudden D3 is an online only MMO, then I can just as easily change SimCity's genre from offline strategy game to an online only strategy MMO and use the same reasoning to defend its DRM."

So I argued both sides. Yay.

User Info: derrate

derrate
3 years ago#203
The funniest part is this game is already cracked and their DRM does nothing to prevent piracy.

User Info: Kant_Remoob_Eht

Kant_Remoob_Eht
3 years ago#204
macheteman posted...
macheteman posted...
But diablo 3 wasn't a singleplayer game....

Are you being sarcastic?

Maybe.

Well if you weren't being sarcastic, then I would say to you "Neither is SimCity. You can't say Diablo 3 wasn't a singleplayer game, then say SimCity is, when their DRM is identical and previous iterations had singleplayer components. "

If you were being sarcastic, then I would say to you "I guess what youre trying to say is that Diablo 3 is an MMO that is meant to be played ONLY online, and therefore can't be cracked (similar to other MMOs, ignoring private servers). Well, if you want to change a games' genre from Diablo 2-> Diablo 3 and say all of a sudden D3 is an online only MMO, then I can just as easily change SimCity's genre from offline strategy game to an online only strategy MMO and use the same reasoning to defend its DRM."

So I argued both sides. Yay.

But tell me, do you actually own the game? If EA goes under/drops the servers for this game, will you even be able to still play this game?
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....

User Info: TheDocktor144

TheDocktor144
3 years ago#205
And the reason I got a refund was because of their Draconian DRM. Mind you I still like the game, but DRM like this does nothing but punish honest customers.

User Info: squidney2k1

squidney2k1
3 years ago#206
derrate posted...
The funniest part is this game is already cracked and their DRM does nothing to prevent piracy.

No it hasn't been, just like Diablo 3 those cracks are fake. To this day, I don't think there D3 has had any significant piracy (if at all).
\m/ (O_o) \m/ Alan Wake deserves a full sequel. Xenosaga Deserves a full sequel. Dark Cloud deserves a full sequel.

User Info: Virauge

Virauge
3 years ago#207
So basically EA uses DRM to prevent people from pirating the game within the first 24 to increase initial sales. 95% of games are cracked within the first 12 hours or so. After that the millions of dollars EA spent on new DRM methods for that game has cost the development and a small fraction of the people who paid for the game can't play it because of the invasive DRM.

So wasting money on something that only works for less than a day against piracy and making paying customers suffer because the protection makes the game unplayable, then not fixing it for days. Yeah seems like a really well thought out plan. Punish people who pay, inconvenience those who pirate..

User Info: Kant_Remoob_Eht

Kant_Remoob_Eht
3 years ago#208
Virauge posted...
So basically EA uses DRM to prevent people from pirating the game within the first 24 to increase initial sales. 95% of games are cracked within the first 12 hours or so. After that the millions of dollars EA spent on new DRM methods for that game has cost the development and a small fraction of the people who paid for the game can't play it because of the invasive DRM.

So wasting money on something that only works for less than a day against piracy and making paying customers suffer because the protection makes the game unplayable, then not fixing it for days. Yeah seems like a really well thought out plan. Punish people who pay, inconvenience those who pirate..

In all honesty, if someone wants to pirate a game hard enough, they will find a way to do it, DRM or no DRM.
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....

User Info: KHWyvern

KHWyvern
3 years ago#209
TheDocktor144 posted...
And the reason I got a refund was because of their Draconian DRM. Mind you I still like the game, but DRM like this does nothing but punish honest customers.

The DRM is the reason I haven't bought the game.
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock

User Info: Dadanster

Dadanster
3 years ago#210
Posted this in another thread but I think it fits here too

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114391-Valves-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem
http://tinyurl.com/3qchfkw http://i.imgur.com/5vUHL.gif
  1. Boards
  2. SimCity
  3. Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived