Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#201squidney2k1Posted 3/8/2013 10:40:06 PM
If they are going to have an always-on requirement, then it should ****ING WORK! Plain and simple. End of story.

I pay...yet I can't play. No excuse. Period.
---
\m/ (O_o) \m/ Alan Wake deserves a full sequel. Xenosaga Deserves a full sequel. Dark Cloud deserves a full sequel.
#202machetemanPosted 3/8/2013 10:40:17 PM
macheteman posted...
But diablo 3 wasn't a singleplayer game....

Are you being sarcastic?

Maybe.

Well if you weren't being sarcastic, then I would say to you "Neither is SimCity. You can't say Diablo 3 wasn't a singleplayer game, then say SimCity is, when their DRM is identical and previous iterations had singleplayer components. "

If you were being sarcastic, then I would say to you "I guess what youre trying to say is that Diablo 3 is an MMO that is meant to be played ONLY online, and therefore can't be cracked (similar to other MMOs, ignoring private servers). Well, if you want to change a games' genre from Diablo 2-> Diablo 3 and say all of a sudden D3 is an online only MMO, then I can just as easily change SimCity's genre from offline strategy game to an online only strategy MMO and use the same reasoning to defend its DRM."

So I argued both sides. Yay.
#203derratePosted 3/8/2013 10:47:13 PM
The funniest part is this game is already cracked and their DRM does nothing to prevent piracy.
#204Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/8/2013 10:50:36 PM
macheteman posted...
macheteman posted...
But diablo 3 wasn't a singleplayer game....

Are you being sarcastic?

Maybe.

Well if you weren't being sarcastic, then I would say to you "Neither is SimCity. You can't say Diablo 3 wasn't a singleplayer game, then say SimCity is, when their DRM is identical and previous iterations had singleplayer components. "

If you were being sarcastic, then I would say to you "I guess what youre trying to say is that Diablo 3 is an MMO that is meant to be played ONLY online, and therefore can't be cracked (similar to other MMOs, ignoring private servers). Well, if you want to change a games' genre from Diablo 2-> Diablo 3 and say all of a sudden D3 is an online only MMO, then I can just as easily change SimCity's genre from offline strategy game to an online only strategy MMO and use the same reasoning to defend its DRM."

So I argued both sides. Yay.

But tell me, do you actually own the game? If EA goes under/drops the servers for this game, will you even be able to still play this game?
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#205TheDocktor144Posted 3/8/2013 10:55:58 PM
And the reason I got a refund was because of their Draconian DRM. Mind you I still like the game, but DRM like this does nothing but punish honest customers.
#206squidney2k1Posted 3/8/2013 10:59:41 PM
derrate posted...
The funniest part is this game is already cracked and their DRM does nothing to prevent piracy.

No it hasn't been, just like Diablo 3 those cracks are fake. To this day, I don't think there D3 has had any significant piracy (if at all).
---
\m/ (O_o) \m/ Alan Wake deserves a full sequel. Xenosaga Deserves a full sequel. Dark Cloud deserves a full sequel.
#207ViraugePosted 3/8/2013 11:03:50 PM
So basically EA uses DRM to prevent people from pirating the game within the first 24 to increase initial sales. 95% of games are cracked within the first 12 hours or so. After that the millions of dollars EA spent on new DRM methods for that game has cost the development and a small fraction of the people who paid for the game can't play it because of the invasive DRM.

So wasting money on something that only works for less than a day against piracy and making paying customers suffer because the protection makes the game unplayable, then not fixing it for days. Yeah seems like a really well thought out plan. Punish people who pay, inconvenience those who pirate..
#208Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/8/2013 11:05:54 PM
Virauge posted...
So basically EA uses DRM to prevent people from pirating the game within the first 24 to increase initial sales. 95% of games are cracked within the first 12 hours or so. After that the millions of dollars EA spent on new DRM methods for that game has cost the development and a small fraction of the people who paid for the game can't play it because of the invasive DRM.

So wasting money on something that only works for less than a day against piracy and making paying customers suffer because the protection makes the game unplayable, then not fixing it for days. Yeah seems like a really well thought out plan. Punish people who pay, inconvenience those who pirate..

In all honesty, if someone wants to pirate a game hard enough, they will find a way to do it, DRM or no DRM.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#209KHWyvernPosted 3/8/2013 11:41:08 PM
TheDocktor144 posted...
And the reason I got a refund was because of their Draconian DRM. Mind you I still like the game, but DRM like this does nothing but punish honest customers.

The DRM is the reason I haven't bought the game.
---
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock
#210DadansterPosted 3/8/2013 11:41:37 PM
Posted this in another thread but I think it fits here too

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114391-Valves-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem
---
http://tinyurl.com/3qchfkw http://i.imgur.com/5vUHL.gif