Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#221midgarPosted 3/9/2013 9:09:16 PM
Funny. I'd have BOUGHT this game, if it weren't for the DRM.
---
[This sig has been stabbed by Ray Lewis]
#222ps2man617Posted 3/9/2013 9:11:22 PM
While I think pirating is definitely an issue I don't think that is stopping EA and other big companies from making a profit. EA and other big companies just want MORE. It isn't that they aren't getting enough, they just want more money. But can you blame them? It's their job as a corporation to make money. I just think they are going about it the wrong way though. Always on DRM like this isn't necessarily the right answer.
---
Xbox Live GamerTag: PannicC
"In the Country of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King" H.G. Wells
#223bleedingelitePosted 3/9/2013 9:20:01 PM
I like that things are so bad these days that people are actually trying to defend companies who punish paying customers for the sake of fighting piracy. F*** you.
#224machetemanPosted 3/9/2013 9:49:42 PM
This game would probably been one of the most pirated games of the year if it wasn't for the DRM. Let's look why:

1. People think the the online aspect isn't necessary, so buying to play multiplayer isnt required.
2. People hate EA
3. People are uneasy about spending $60 on a game that they don't know whether or not will be good/bad (last SimCity was 2003...)
4. People hate EA

I'm willing to bet many of you are just angry because you can't pirate this game.
#225bleedingelitePosted 3/9/2013 10:31:14 PM
macheteman posted...
This game would probably been one of the most pirated games of the year if it wasn't for the DRM. Let's look why:

1. People think the the online aspect isn't necessary, so buying to play multiplayer isnt required.
2. People hate EA
3. People are uneasy about spending $60 on a game that they don't know whether or not will be good/bad (last SimCity was 2003...)
4. People hate EA

I'm willing to bet many of you are just angry because you can't pirate this game.

I'd say a majority of pirates did not buy this game for the exact reasons that you listed. They're just waiting for a crack, and I'm sure they'll get one soon enough. The rest of us get to deal with the DRM.
#226Lord_VaderPosted 3/9/2013 10:47:24 PM(edited)
bleedingelite posted...
macheteman posted...

2. People hate EA
4. People hate EA

I'd say a majority of pirates did not buy this game for the exact reasons that you listed. They're just waiting for a crack, and I'm sure they'll get one soon enough. The rest of us get to deal with the DRM.

There's already one out apparently. I just did a quick google search. Who knows if it's actually legit.

And anyway DRM doesn't stop piracy. It actually enhances it: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090528/1123165044.shtml

In the end, the only person who ends up getting hurt for this always online DRM is the legitimate consumer. People who pirate the game weren't going to buy it in the first place, so it's not really a lost sale. It's not like they went to Walmart and stole an actual physical copy. Only good games and a supportive user interface like Steam which offers offline functionality and massive sales can stop piracy and will even make you have loyal customers.
---
Live long and prosper.
#227CaliburnalPosted 3/9/2013 10:49:46 PM
So the solution to piracy is to punish people who pay for the game (in advance in many cases) with a game whose functionality is limited on release day because "Always Online DRM" never anticipates the user load? Then a few years down the line when they realize how much money they are hemorrhaging money keeping the DRM Servers up they will kill them and compensate their users with a "free game" (much like they are doing now because of their failure). This game absolutely should not use the Always Online DRM, unlike Diablo 3 (the only really comparable Online DRM game still actively in use) this game has no commodity market for endless numbers of Korean and Chinese players to farm out for real cash that then pads the bottom line of the developer.

You want to combat piracy? This isn't the way. It detracts from the game experience and punishes your most loyal customers, you know the ones who shell out hundreds of dollars for Special Editions and Collectors Editions and DLC with NO GUARANTEE that the said items will be even worth it.

How about this for a twist, instead of charging $60 for a game on release day and $80 or more for the "Collector's Edition" halve those prices and make Collector Editions actually worth it (none of this special figurine crap). The main reason most people "pirate" games is because the game costs too damn much on release day and who wants to dump $60 on a game that could totally suck (as this one has so far)? They'd rather wait a month or two for the price to drop to $30 and read some reviews on the game to see if it is worth buying. So why not do yourselves a favor and just start the pricing more reasonably so that gamers don't: A. Feel ripped off when your game sucks or B. decide to pirate the game because its too expensive to risk on.

Activision/Blizzard should have proven to everyone that the Online Only DRM is not going to work until developers learn to anticipate that a game launch is always going to be hectic. If you think 50 million people are going to play your game on day 1 then you need to prepare for 100 million to be online. What is happening to SimCity now is exactly what happened to Diablo 3 a year ago and that should have been a lesson they took into consideration but obviously didn't. Not to mention the fiasco with Darksiders II and its eventual extinction due to the DRM regulating.
---
"It is better to die on my feet, than to live my life on my knees."
-General Zapata
#228Goregasm17Posted 3/9/2013 11:14:09 PM
The funny part about the whole ordeal is YOU CAN STILL PIRATE THE GAME even with fake online-only "restrictions."
#229MaverickXeoPosted 3/10/2013 2:22:24 AM

you make a great game with no DRM, and some will buy it, and some will pirate it.

make a great game with DRM like this and some will buy it and much fewer will pirate it.

...But the problem is, the DRM like this is causing people NOT to buy the game. I LIKE simcity, and was going to buy it. I will not now. There are tons of people saying that. Heck, look at the reviews; the game had a TERRIBLE launch, and THAT sets the 'mood' of people on the fence about the game. Those who were going to 'maybe' buy the game will not now. They may not pirate it, but they wont buy it either.

In a way, though, pirating could promote sales, in a skewed way. Person A pirates a game, likes it, and tells Person B about it. Person B goes and buys it, likes it, and tells other people about it. Person A realizes the game was really good, and buys the sequel to it on launch.
---
--- MaverickXeo ---
#230Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/10/2013 3:09:20 AM
Is it weird that I think EA dropped the ball more with this game than Gearbox/Sega did with Aliens Colonial Marines?
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....