Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#231BrenbennPosted 3/10/2013 3:33:27 AM
I'm an old fart that was around for the time when games were played via cassette tape on a commodore 64. If you think piracy has suddenly become an issue recently you are out of your mind.

While piracy is simple now it was still much easier and rampant (compared to percentage of gamers at the time) in the past.
It didn't take a wizkid to copy a:\*.* c:\freegame and vice versa in the days of floppy disk... (or b:\ if you go back that far :-p)
Doom and doom 2 are still two of the most pirated games in history and it wasn't piracy that killed ID, it was the shoddy graphic engines marketing demo's thinly advertised as games that they made later on that killed them.
Piracy is just the excuse companies use to cover their asses and explain away the low production quality and thus lower than expected sales that is far too common in recent times.

This game didn't need DRM to combat piracy at any rate, the game content is stored on remote servers, the effort required to get the code required to host a public server people could use is far more trouble than it is worth and those that bother to do so would barely dent sales.

I still maintain the second hand market does more damage than piracy anyway. A pirate may never have bought a game and may have downloaded it just to fill time (low likelyhood but it happens). Someone who physically travels to a store but picks up a second hand game that is 3 metres away from a new copy because it is slightly cheaper is a 100% lost sale.

In short this topic is plain silly and born of ignorance.
#232Cloudzer00Posted 3/10/2013 5:46:15 AM
The Witcher and The WItcher 2
Funny how it sells millions with no DRM
#233KarmicDragon1Posted 3/10/2013 7:08:39 AM
Imagine if all of a sudden, you'd have to call a certain number to start your car and talk to someone who would then determine if you sounded drunk or not. Sometimes it would be busy or even put you on hold for a few hours, which would prevent you from driving your car.

Do you think people who would never drive under the influence would appreciate this system?
---
My favourite D3 board posters: BonnabinTheDire, PenguinKoala ,TheJCBand, ChronoAce, GuyIncognito_, jake-sf, DAntiprodukt
#234KHWyvernPosted 3/10/2013 2:08:36 PM
midgar posted...
Funny. I'd have BOUGHT this game, if it weren't for the DRM.

You and me both. Always on DRM will put me off from buying any game. Shame really, cause I wanted to play this.
---
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock
#235bojacko9Posted 3/10/2013 2:34:31 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#236MaverickXeoPosted 3/10/2013 2:41:58 PM
It WILL be cracked. There is NOTHING that is 100% secure.
---
--- MaverickXeo ---
#237benjjjaminPosted 3/10/2013 5:13:22 PM
What do you mean YOU PEOPLE???
---
What the typical internet poster thinks it is: 90th percentile. What it really is: 90 IQ.
#238wyndmanPosted 3/10/2013 5:48:16 PM
If it wasn't for a long history on the PC of PC gamers cracking, pirating, cheating, duping items, hacking and/or otherwise breaking the EULA/ToS of many games, companies like EA, Activision, and Blizzard wouldn't have been FORCED to add highly restrictive DRM, always-online restrictions, and other redundancies.

The culprit is and always has been the 'entitled' PC gamer, who wants to play games but not pay for them, and wants to cheat and win quickly when he does play those games.

SimCity should be a wakeup call not for EA, but for what PC gamers have done to the PC gaming market.

So what's it like being a EA shill?
---
In Loving Memory of Steve Irwin
RIP 9-4-06
#239king_maddenPosted 3/10/2013 6:02:24 PM
MaverickXeo posted...

not for a long time though, and thats devs main concern, pirated games can affect new sales, if they have something in place that can stall pirating long enough to get through the first few months or weeks or whatever where the highest amount of sales happen, then its a partial victory.
#240ViraugePosted 3/11/2013 9:42:41 AM(edited)
king_madden posted...
MaverickXeo posted...

not for a long time though, and thats devs main concern, pirated games can affect new sales, if they have something in place that can stall pirating long enough to get through the first few months or weeks or whatever where the highest amount of sales happen, then its a partial victory.

The problem is with this logic is the initial 24 hour release sales won't change. Theoretically, if they can stall the game from being cracked a whole week they will increase sales X% and make more money. On paper it's a good idea.

Reality is after the first 24 hours, the people who bought it are warning people to not buy this game. The DRM is making it unplayable. That is slowing down sales considerably. Reviewers and youtube commentators are warning people about the unplayability of the game. These are people who normally help sales, are now hindering sales.

I watch a few channels on youtube of commentators and usually buy my games accordingly. I watched a video a couple of days ago of Simcity, of which I was planning on buying, and the commentator got disconnected 4 times in a 20 minute video from the game server. Why would I want to buy a game that won't let me play?

EA is slowing own their own sales on Simcity. Their next online-only DRM games they will probably have a stall on it like APB had. Nobody is allowed to review or comment on the game until a week after release. This way you cant find out what a POS it is before you buy it and after the first week they don't care. This isn't a move that is beneath EA.