Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#41meiyukiPosted 3/8/2013 12:47:08 PM
spraynardtatum posted...

Steam has some great policies that they could learn from.

How about this quote from Gabe Newell:

"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the U.S. release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty."

That helps, true, but a lot of it is the value of the product. Look what had the biggest effect on reducing music piracy. Was it some sort of crazy drm they came up with? No, it was itunes. A large amount of piracy is because companies are charging more than the value of a product.
#42Alamyst_Posted 3/8/2013 12:47:32 PM
DRM has nothing to do with pirating games.

It has to do with giving games a short life time and forcing the next in the series quicker.

What happens when EA shuts down the server to the game that is only online: You can never play it again.
---
psn Alamyst
#43McJephPosted 3/8/2013 12:47:49 PM
meiyuki posted...
spraynardtatum posted...

Steam has some great policies that they could learn from.

How about this quote from Gabe Newell:

"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the U.S. release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty."

That helps, true, but a lot of it is the value of the product. Look what had the biggest effect on reducing music piracy. Was it some sort of crazy drm they came up with? No, it was itunes. A large amount of piracy is because companies are charging more than the value of a product.

...They reduced music piracy?

...When?
#44McJephPosted 3/8/2013 12:48:49 PM
Alamyst_ posted...
DRM has nothing to do with pirating games.

It has to do with giving games a short life time and forcing the next in the series quicker.

What happens when EA shuts down the server to the game that is only online: You can never play it again.

Also.. this.

By "buying" the game you are essentially buying a service with an expiration date and not effectively playing a game you can play whenever you want - like other games.
#45clowningPosted 3/8/2013 12:49:28 PM
Theft and piracy of all kinds has always existed. It is normal and expected for owners of property to take reasonable measures to protect said property. However, such measures can go beyond the pale, becoming unreasonable and causing more harm than benefit. This is the case with various DRM schemes such as EA's scheme with this game.

When DRM becomes a liability, it is irrational to pursue it further. There is a balance between security and convenience for the customer. EA has broken that balance be become overly fearful of piracy.

Does piracy cause DRM? I suppose, just like we have locks on our doors. But at the same time, draconian DRM creates more pirates.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#46GreenEarthPFCPosted 3/8/2013 12:49:42 PM
The real reason why I give Steam so much of my money (at least one hundred dollars a year), is because of those damnable Steam sales. They make my frugal tail end a lot less frugal...
---
Ponies.
Ponies Everywhere.
#47Mr_SociopathPosted 3/8/2013 12:49:56 PM
Wait

Why would someone who was gonna pirate this game hang around a bunch of people who are waiting for servers to work, and thus obviously not pirates? Who is TC even talking to?
---
Perhaps it was my poor grammar that led the lead mod to not restore my prostitute killing post. - rabid
#48GreenEarthPFCPosted 3/8/2013 12:51:54 PM
Mr_Sociopath posted...
Wait

Why would someone who was gonna pirate this game hang around a bunch of people who are waiting for servers to work, and thus obviously not pirates? Who is TC even talking to?

I don't even own the game (I did own Simcity 3000, though). I just like the discussions and I try to bring some calm to the storm of people who are absolutely furious at what is going on.

We don't have to be so mad.
---
Ponies.
Ponies Everywhere.
#49IVPaleRiderIVPosted 3/8/2013 12:53:17 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#50GaraiPosted 3/8/2013 1:06:18 PM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/05/file-sharers-are-content-industrys-largest-customers/

Piracy is a convenient scapegoat.

As for the rest of your post, if I buy a game I can do whatever I want with it as long as it doesn't have any impact on other people.
---
"The problem with MMOs is that they are full of people."
-SW:ToR forum poster