Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#51KejeLLPosted 3/8/2013 12:09:47 PM
I think most people here arenīt against DRM mainly but rather how it inevitably greatly hurts the paying customer and not the pirate. Sure the pirates might have to wait a few weeks for their free copy, but itīs us paying customers who get shafted. I've spent $60 and I can't use the service I paid for because of EAs incompetence, not because of pirates
---
http://totalrevue.com/
#52TFHDeathUA709Posted 3/8/2013 12:12:49 PM
Pretty sure Chris Brown said something similar to the topic title when he talked to Rihanna.

"I'm not doing anything wrong. You just make me mistreat you."

"Our online requirement DRM isn't wrong. You paying customers just make us do this."
---
The last time a Tiger took a beating this bad his wife had a 5 iron.
Roll Tide
#53El_ZaggyPosted 3/8/2013 12:15:21 PM
KingRajesh posted...
If it wasn't for a long history on the PC of PC gamers cracking, pirating, cheating, duping items, hacking and/or otherwise breaking the EULA/ToS of many games, companies like EA, Activision, and Blizzard wouldn't have been FORCED to add highly restrictive DRM, always-online restrictions, and other redundancies.

The culprit is and always has been the 'entitled' PC gamer, who wants to play games but not pay for them, and wants to cheat and win quickly when he does play those games.

SimCity should be a wakeup call not for EA, but for what PC gamers have done to the PC gaming market.

the real reason is because its easier to access the microtransaction shops and online dlc shops so they can sell litteraly more junk, quickier. Think about it a little. accessing in game real money item that you can buy, then buy it fast makes the buyer think about it less, maxing the profit of EA.

Its not even about pirating. The pirating is just an excuse so EA can push down junk into our throats. They always pressing the citrus till no juice left and they always have their hand on your wallet.

That is why I now pirate all EA games. the more they do this, the more I will pirate them. They dont deserve my money. And Sim City sucks anyway.. They will probably want to sell more map space in game for real money.

And btw I dont pirate when the gamers are respected. For example, CD Projekt Red games.
#54Rydis-ShikoPosted 3/8/2013 12:15:37 PM
Yet somehow DVDs are still very profitable.. yet prone to the exact same thing. Somehow knock offs just can move into the market of name brands. This type of behaviour has always been around...with or without the restrictions. So yeah..no
---
If good things come to those who wait - arn't they just the leftovers of those who got there first?
There is not good or bad, just perspective and opinion.
#55TheSpectrePosted 3/8/2013 12:18:16 PM
Real rap raw!
---
http://picard.ytmnd.com/
#56chaoslordisgoodPosted 3/8/2013 12:19:46 PM
KingRajesh posted...
Teremei posted...
lol. Yet DRM free pay to own sites like gog.com seem to be growing and doing very well.

Problem is, offering little value for your money. EA releases bare bones base sets, then charges you additional full priced games just to add to an incomplete game. I say the problem is lemmings like you who have been brainwashed into being the puppets of large corporations who don't use the motto "customer first". If EA released a DRM free offline game that was like the spiritual successor to Sim City 4 it would sell like mad and EA wouldn't have to DRM it at all. EA has made a **** ton of money off SIMS and SIM CITY despite pirating. You have no ******* clue, you sound like a brainwashed fox news watcher spouting talking point nonsense about things you have absolutely no knowledge of.

Nice Ad Hominem attacks, really lends credence to your argument.

Gog.com is an indie site that no AAA games are released on - why? Because AAA games cost $100 Million + to develop, and releasing a game like that with no DRM is suicide, at least on the PC, where 'entitled' PC gamers will happily pirate the game and pay nothing, leaving developers with no profits.

EA has a great marketing set for the casual gamer -> Releasing a barebones base, and charging for what you want to add to it after you get hooked is a staple of the mobile phone/tablet market, and nobody seems to be complaining about that.

If EA released a DRM free "Sim City 5", there would be MILLIONS of downloads on The Pirate Bay, and few actual sales. The rallying cry of the PC gamer - "Why buy when you can pirate?"

Gog is owned by CD Projekt, the developers of the Witcher games. While the first might not qualify as "AAA" (a moronic label), the second game certainly does and was released on gog simultaneously with steam and retail. The game flopped so hard it outsold the first witcher, and the third witcher game is getting a bigger budget and will follow the same release pattern.
---
Lik-Sang was a criminal organization - C4111
#57blankempathyPosted 3/8/2013 12:19:57 PM
El_Zaggy posted...
KingRajesh posted...
If it wasn't for a long history on the PC of PC gamers cracking, pirating, cheating, duping items, hacking and/or otherwise breaking the EULA/ToS of many games, companies like EA, Activision, and Blizzard wouldn't have been FORCED to add highly restrictive DRM, always-online restrictions, and other redundancies.

The culprit is and always has been the 'entitled' PC gamer, who wants to play games but not pay for them, and wants to cheat and win quickly when he does play those games.

SimCity should be a wakeup call not for EA, but for what PC gamers have done to the PC gaming market.

the real reason is because its easier to access the microtransaction shops and online dlc shops so they can sell litteraly more junk, quickier. Think about it a little. accessing in game real money item that you can buy, then buy it fast makes the buyer think about it less, maxing the profit of EA.

Its not even about pirating. The pirating is just an excuse so EA can push down junk into our throats. They always pressing the citrus till no juice left and they always have their hand on your wallet.

That is why I now pirate all EA games. the more they do this, the more I will pirate them. They dont deserve my money. And Sim City sucks anyway.. They will probably want to sell more map space in game for real money.

And btw I dont pirate when the gamers are respected. For example, CD Projekt Red games.

They don't deserve your money yet you're willing to play their games. Its just a convenient excuse for you. How about finding a company you like and playing their games? There is definitely no shortage of videos games produced by other companies out there.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#58boottarPosted 3/8/2013 12:20:18 PM
EA Doesn't deserve money, They overprice everything and hold back on downloads to release them later for a rediculous price.
---
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bottar1/
League of Legends (EUW): bottar1
#59myusernameislamePosted 3/8/2013 12:24:33 PM
Drippy89 posted...
Lol. EA is "greedy"? They're a corporation, which is LEGALLY BOUND to their shareholders to do whatever it takes to make money. Calling EA greedy is basically saying that all corporations are greedy, which would be true, but isn't something that is exclusive to EA.

And while people steal food from Grocery stores, the more expensive things, like razor blades, condoms, cigaretes are all locked behind the counter (REAL LIFE DRM). Same with clothes, which all have ink tags that explode and ruin the clothes if you try to remove them. Same with video games, where all of the video games are taken out of the box, and hidden behind the counter to stop theft.

Not all companies are greedy. Just as Gearbox when they made Borderlands. They purposely did not put DRM. Why, because they said it doesn't work and pirates will cracked the game anyway. BTW there is a difference between making money and squeezing every last penny out of the market.

Where do you live? I can go to a store right now and find condoms in a normal aisle with no case. Same goes for razor blades. I just have to go to the aisle and grab one. And ink tags aren't "DRM". DRM makes it harder for real life customers to play games. Ink tags in no way affect how a real person uses the item. As far games...again....that in no way affects how a person plays the game.

Your missing the point. DRM makes it harder for people to PIRATE games, and locking cigarettes behind glass cases, putting anti-theft tags on clothes, and locking all copies of video games behind a counter in a store all make it harder for people to STEAL things, i.e., REAL LIFE DRM. If you accept that you have to go to a counter to buy cigarettes in order to deter theft, why not accept the fact that games are going to be always online to deter piracy?

Please explain how locking things behind counters affects consumers after they buy them.
---
www.grenadetreegames.com
#60KHWyvernPosted 3/8/2013 12:37:13 PM
Haha, no, just no.
---
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock