Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#71DrFeelgood1984Posted 3/8/2013 12:54:15 PM
KingRajesh posted...
If it wasn't for a long history on the PC of PC gamers cracking, pirating, cheating, duping items, hacking and/or otherwise breaking the EULA/ToS of many games, companies like EA, Activision, and Blizzard wouldn't have been FORCED to add highly restrictive DRM, always-online restrictions, and other redundancies.

The culprit is and always has been the 'entitled' PC gamer, who wants to play games but not pay for them, and wants to cheat and win quickly when he does play those games.

SimCity should be a wakeup call not for EA, but for what PC gamers have done to the PC gaming market.

DRM only punishes paying customers. Pirates will always pirate, the game will be cracked and downloaded illegally hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of times. The DRM will not effect the people downloading illegally, but will continue to be inconvenient for the people that paid retail price. How is it fair to give your paying customers an inferior product while pirates get the superior product?

Pirating is a fact of life for developers and publishes putting games out for PC.
#72kyleh614Posted 3/8/2013 12:57:03 PM
There is no proof that piracy is at all an issue in the game industry. Does it exist? Yep, is it actually hurting sales? No.
#73kyleh614Posted 3/8/2013 12:57:14 PM
There is no proof that piracy is at all an issue in the game industry. Does it exist? Yep, is it actually hurting sales? No.
#74Grey_Wolf_SifPosted 3/8/2013 1:04:04 PM
Becouse DMR it isnt pay to play its pray to play.
#75MadDogV2Posted 3/8/2013 1:06:20 PM
The cigarette and clothes analogy doesn't really hold water. When you buy the carton of cigarettes, it's out from behind the case forever; when you buy the shirt, the tag is removed and you never have to deal with it again. This is not equivalent to always online DRM which is a permanent part of the product that you have to deal with every single time you use it. This is more like say, after you've bought the carton of cigarettes, you still can't open the carton yet because you need to register it on the tobacco company's website to receive a secure code to type on a pinpad attached to the carton and you must revisit the website to get another code for each time you want to take an individual cigarette out of the carton.
---
PSWii60 owner GT/PSN/Steam: MadDogV2
#76goldenr2Posted 3/8/2013 1:07:33 PM
You guys are funny.

This is just a step - a small step in a worse direction. The ease of pirating, the inability for younger people to simply NOT enjoy something they refuse to pay for, and the prices charged for services are leading to one simple solution:

Virtual machines. Think it's bad now that you have to wait for cracks for games to play them offline? Server emulation?

How about when you have to use a browser-type product to play games. No files on your computer. OnLive on steroids.

If I wanted to force people to buy my game, that's what I would do. Think about OnLive exclusive titles - no way to play them but through their portal. Impossible to pirate because nothing exists outside of their machines and servers. There can always be leaks, but nothing like what's available now.

Back the companies into a corner, refuse to pay for services, and this is what we are going to get. Being ok with "pirates gonna pirate" is simply something they cannot afford, as much as you may not care about them. Just like real life protects valuable things from thieves, EA is not going to simply factor in "piracy" as a cost of doing business without a fight.

It's only going to get worse, so please continue not caring about whether or not people pirate and defend them for doing so.
#77myusernameislamePosted 3/8/2013 1:12:32 PM
You guys are funny.

This is just a step - a small step in a worse direction. The ease of pirating, the inability for younger people to simply NOT enjoy something they refuse to pay for, and the prices charged for services are leading to one simple solution:

Virtual machines. Think it's bad now that you have to wait for cracks for games to play them offline? Server emulation?

How about when you have to use a browser-type product to play games. No files on your computer. OnLive on steroids.

If I wanted to force people to buy my game, that's what I would do. Think about OnLive exclusive titles - no way to play them but through their portal. Impossible to pirate because nothing exists outside of their machines and servers. There can always be leaks, but nothing like what's available now.

Back the companies into a corner, refuse to pay for services, and this is what we are going to get. Being ok with "pirates gonna pirate" is simply something they cannot afford, as much as you may not care about them. Just like real life protects valuable things from thieves, EA is not going to simply factor in "piracy" as a cost of doing business without a fight.

It's only going to get worse, so please continue not caring about whether or not people pirate and defend them for doing so.

OK I'll start being mad at pirates, so now they'll stop, right?
---
www.grenadetreegames.com
#78Grey_Wolf_SifPosted 3/8/2013 1:13:03 PM
Heres example. I bought mass effect 3 from origin. It didnt work becouse origin wouldnt let me play it for some reason. I cracked it and it worked perfectly. When it comes to EA pirated games work lot better
#79meiyukiPosted 3/8/2013 1:13:49 PM
goldenr2 posted...

Market forces won't really let them do this. For example people have been getting annoyed at publishers sucking developers dry and taking away their creative freedom. Well we got kickstarter from that which is letting a lot of indie devs get their projects made. They'll try to do things like you're describing but there's going to likely be as many people going in the opposite direction.
#80Ants236Posted 3/8/2013 1:13:56 PM
Strangely, some of the best companies have little to no DRM. It hinders more than it helps. Pirates find a way most of the time anyway, so people like Ubisoft and EA just end up screwing over the customer.