Real Talk: The reason EA has tons of DRM in games is because you people PIRATE

#81Iceman228433Posted 3/8/2013 2:14:29 PM
This is all true it's the reason why Diablo 3 on consoles wont have the always on drm, it is because ppl pirate games they are doing this.
#82kyleh614Posted 3/8/2013 2:14:56 PM
A good example of no DRM is Torchlight 2, which has sold over 1 million copies.
#83Virtue777Posted 3/8/2013 2:19:12 PM
I understand why they do it, but I don't have to agree with it.

I feel really bad for the "innocent" gamers, some of which are clueless as to what has been happening in the PC industry. My dad has been pretty excited for this game, he's going to scratch his head at the always-online requirement (which won't be a problem for him, but still). This will be the first PC game he has purchased in probably 10 years lol, I'm sure there are others like him though not as fortunate to have a decent connection.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#84Mocking CrowPosted 3/8/2013 2:24:08 PM
PRNDL posted...
No, people pirate because they don't want to deal with DRM.

Thats like saying police/guards/security came before criminals....

I can promise you, CRIME came first, the "security", which in this case, is the DRM, is a response to the crime, aka PIRATING. There is absolutely NO REASON for a DRM, if there was no piracy. It costs money to develop/maintain these DRM(cd checks, online verification, server side data. etc.)

Common sense... get some.
---
Normal was defined by an arrogant or closed minded man who knew too little.
#85Rone8822Posted 3/8/2013 2:25:19 PM
Thieves will justify what they steal to themselves no matter what you argue, its a lost cause.
#86TommyD758Posted 3/8/2013 2:26:28 PM
So you're saying they're going to punish the honest people that buy their games with this practise? Yeah makes total sense.
#87poppen695Posted 3/8/2013 2:27:43 PM
PRNDL posted...

No, they pirate because they don't want to pay. They are thieves. They can try and justify it with all manor of stupid excuses and altruistic bull crap but at the end of the day they are just common thieves. DRM is just an excuse to sidetrack the real issue. Piracy has been around since before DRM was even a concept. Video games are not yours to take and try, they are the intellectual property of a company, who has the right to charge whatever they want for the game, and if you don't like it, you don't have a right to steal their product, no matter how cool you think you are..trust me, no one important in this world thinks you a better person for becoming an easy chair pirate. You are no different than a guy who breaks a car window and steals a car because he was too lazy or stupid to go work for and buy his own.
#88The Amazing ViperPosted 3/8/2013 2:30:09 PM
Teremei posted...
lol. Yet DRM free pay to own sites like gog.com seem to be growing and doing very well.

Problem is, offering little value for your money. EA releases bare bones base sets, then charges you additional full priced games just to add to an incomplete game. I say the problem is lemmings like you who have been brainwashed into being the puppets of large corporations who don't use the motto "customer first". If EA released a DRM free offline game that was like the spiritual successor to Sim City 4 it would sell like mad and EA wouldn't have to DRM it at all. EA has made a **** ton of money off SIMS and SIM CITY despite pirating. You have no ******* clue, you sound like a brainwashed fox news watcher spouting talking point nonsense about things you have absolutely no knowledge of.

This. And if pirates are the reason, then why do it for consoles that are already hard for just anyone to pirate. You sort of have to know what you're doing to pirate 360 and ps3. I believe its just pure nickel and dime greed on EA. Like others said, they release games that half way finished then charge to complete the game. Pirates pirate because of things like this and game designers do this to prevent pirates. This seems like a cycle that will work.
---
The Rodney Dangerfield of the POW... Formerly the GSB
The Amazing Viper is your new board savior - MantleNotMouse
#89TFHDeathUA709Posted 3/8/2013 2:31:02 PM(edited)
Mocking Crow posted...
PRNDL posted...

Thats like saying police/guards/security came before criminals....

I can promise you, CRIME came first, the "security", which in this case, is the DRM, is a response to the crime, aka PIRATING. There is absolutely NO REASON for a DRM, if there was no piracy. It costs money to develop/maintain these DRM(cd checks, online verification, server side data. etc.)

Common sense... get some.

And always online DRM is like that same security guard walking beside you with his hands in your pocket constantly to make sure you don't steal from the store even if you have no history of theft. All the while criminals are sneaking in the back door and getting the products for free and faster than you are and each time it happens the security guard just puts his hands deeper into your pockets until you feel like you have to cough.

Most people are fine with some security measures. It's the level that EA has taken it to that is the main issue.

"Common sense...get some"
---
The last time a Tiger took a beating this bad his wife had a 5 iron.
Roll Tide
#90Devil_wings00Posted 3/8/2013 2:30:57 PM
Funny thing is in the goal of preventing piracy they have done more damage to Simcity then piracy EVER could have. They have destroyed the games reputation, drove people to refunds and probably completely gimped any great sales in the future. People don't forget a clusterf*** like this one easily. Remember how the launch of windows vista sucked? Sure the OS is fine these days but Vista will forever be remembered for it's awful launch alone because people abandoned it then and never bothered to come back.

So don't give me this DRM BS argument when it has done more damage to this game then any pirate ever could have. Even if they fix Simcity at this point the damage is done and it can't be fixed.

Make a great product and they will come. You are never going to stop piracy just like you are never going to stop people from smoking weed despite throwing them in jail in crazy numbers. Difference here is the only people getting hurt are paying customers. EA is to blame, not pirates. If they just had faith, made a great product and quit worrying about the sales they probably wouldn't have gotten in the first place, from pirates, everyone would be happy. You know what pirates do when they can't get a game? They don't buy it, they just go and pirate something else. Nothing is gained on EA's end with draconian DRM like that of simcity's and in this case far worse then nothing.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).