Sooo when a mining city runs out of resource...

#1ChibiAsuranPosted 3/9/2013 8:20:35 AM
Is it best to just go full freight and industrial? because by the time a city like that runs out of resources, it has an insane amount of High wealth/density sims. Also, is switching to tourism a viable solution as well?
---
"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." - Arthur C. Clarke
PSN: JJFatS-2384
#2ZaishiPosted 3/9/2013 9:29:33 AM
I don't think mining -> tourism works well. Tourism cities need to be heavy commercial, while a mining city is probably going to be heavy industrial. Once you run out of resources though you can keep it as heavy industrial then create a new zero industrial city next door for tourism.
#3cardicianPosted 3/9/2013 11:27:38 AM
I will just add that one of the in-game tips states that when you run out of resources, it's time to start another city.

Nice implementation huh? Imagine if real cities did that. Oh, we're running low on coal. Close the city down and kick everyone out. This game definitely has some flaws that people seem to have just glossed over.
---
#4cch8Posted 3/9/2013 11:30:58 AM
Our ancient ancestors migrated elsewhere when that particular place ran out of resources... nomads?
#5HydroCannabinolPosted 3/9/2013 11:31:16 AM
cardician posted...
I will just add that one of the in-game tips states that when you run out of resources, it's time to start another city.

Nice implementation huh? Imagine if real cities did that. Oh, we're running low on coal. Close the city down and kick everyone out. This game definitely has some flaws that people seem to have just glossed over.

rofl the blind hating is hilarious. If you should stop spouting nonsense out of your ass for two seconds and actually READ the tip it says it's either time to start a new city OR change your specialization in the city..

which is what TC is saying.
---
PSN: Mind Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#6MysticB121Posted 3/9/2013 11:34:47 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
cardician posted...

rofl the blind hating is hilarious. If you should stop spouting nonsense out of your ass for two seconds and actually READ the tip it says it's either time to start a new city OR change your specialization in the city..

which is what TC is saying.

It is kinda sad how quick a city will run out of resource though. I have an oil city with 2 wells with maxed out pumps and the well is nearly dry after about 6 hours on a city. And this is with "Cheetah Speed" disabled so I haven't even been playing the city very long.

This was a city with maxed out Oil on the resource meter too.

Seems to be they didn't really make the game for longevity. More casual - pick up and play a city for a day.
---
Visual Studio 2008 has stopped responding! Would you like to open Visual Studio 2008 to debug?
#7OblivionSeptimPosted 3/9/2013 11:53:38 AM
Once you run out of the resource, make sure you have a headquarters for it and change your trade depot to import the resource and refine it into fuel or refined metal etc. and export that for huge profit
#8BobbyDigitalPosted 3/9/2013 12:00:00 PM
cardician posted...

Have you ever heard of Detroit?
---
Sarcasm: Intellect on the offense.
#9GaizokubanouPosted 3/9/2013 2:06:55 PM
cardician posted...

Oh wait, real cities have done that. Not the kick everyone part but pretty much getting abandoned by major businesses and being ran down to poverty part.

To TC, do you have DoE in your region? If so, plop community college and try to convert to high tech industry. Only resource it needs is water and power yet it can maintain high wealth and density.

Switch to tourism is probably too inefficient and will just burn through your cash before it becomes profitable since you may have to tear down lot of zones to plant attractions.
#10ZaishiPosted 3/9/2013 2:20:25 PM
cardician posted...

Uh, there are ghost towns all over the world. Many of them sprang up around mines and when the mines dried up everyone left. This should be common knowledge. Gold rushes should immediately come to mind, but even in places like upstate New York there are abandoned towns rotting away in the woods because the graphite or coal in mines underneath ran out.