Traffic jams and emergency services

#1loupargentPosted 3/9/2013 6:00:49 PM
I created a similar topic a couple days ago, but I really can't seem to figure out this problem.

It's basically come to the point where emergency vehicles, particularly firefighters, can't get anywhere because of traffic. I'm sitting on 100k residents, and I don't know what to do.

I'm thinking part of my problem might stem from the fact that I barely use any avenues except for the beginning, but surely there are things I can do. Bus stops are NOT helping either =/
---
"You're like a major power not getting the H-Bomb because it's only fair if you fight with muskets." - Greatherthan3, Demon's Souls
#2happyscrub1Posted 3/9/2013 6:09:05 PM
Sound like your road infrastructure layout is bad if you said you barely had any avenues.

Make sure you have bus stops at key places your poor and med wealth people need to go.

Make a carpark for bus stops near the residents

upgrade your roads.
---
Happyscrub's league of legends rank is higher than 95% gamefaqs posters. This is why gamefaqs jealous of him. That's why they troll him. So sad, So bad, so mad.
#3loupargent(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 6:28:51 PM
Well, here is what my city looks like:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l125/Katherwin/SimCity/Spark_2013-03-09_19-16-55.png

I know it's kind of a mess, I don't really have a structure in mind when I build my city...
---
"You're like a major power not getting the H-Bomb because it's only fair if you fight with muskets." - Greatherthan3, Demon's Souls
#4spankytheslothPosted 3/12/2013 11:27:01 AM
I usually divide my city into 4 with avenues so that there is a big + through my city, then I divide the rest up with streets. Make sure your high traffic buildings open out onto the avenue too. I am still having problems with traffic though at about 180k pop. Also my fire helicopter got stuck and a bunch of buildings burned down. The traffic problems made it so trash and recyclables weren't being collected either. I also have the big bus depot with max busses and a streetcar depot with max streetcars. Don't know why traffic is still so bad. They need to tweak it IMO.
---
Brushes with death are like snowflakes; each one is unique, and if you have enough of them you can make a snowman.
#5squidney2k1Posted 3/12/2013 11:41:44 AM
loupargent posted...
Well, here is what my city looks like:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l125/Katherwin/SimCity/Spark_2013-03-09_19-16-55.png

I know it's kind of a mess, I don't really have a structure in mind when I build my city...

Try to follow a grid pattern as much as possible. It helps tremendously, even if it's unoriginal and uninspiring.

You're also lacking a lot of paved roads in general. Avenues should run the length of your city in a + or H pattern, and then smaller streets that connect. But you want to avoid as many 4-way intersections as you can, as those traffic stop will clog things up in a heartbeat. The best thing is to try to alternate between a series of 4-way intersections and then L shaped intersections that only turn one way. For the Avenue that runs the full-length of a city, a dev recommended 5-6 intersections with regular high-density streets, as anything less with cause problems elsewhere, and anything more will clog up the Avenue.

Also, the Traffic AI needs some serious work (admitted by Maxis), and trucks/busess will frequently get "stuck" or go bonkers. So until it's adjusted, there will be more traffic problems than usual. And you must also consider what time of day it is (virtual rush hour) and that once a city hits 100K+ population, you will always have traffic problems, especially with Visitors (tourists and residents coming for work/school). One of my cities has a pop of 139K and 190K+ "Visitors" per day, and it's a transportation nightmare during peak hours.
---
\m/ (O_o) \m/ Alan Wake deserves a full sequel. Xenosaga Deserves a full sequel. Dark Cloud deserves a full sequel.
#6ZaishiPosted 3/12/2013 12:59:05 PM
Following a grid only helps you pack more buildings in which only makes things worse. A city map filled edge to edge with high density buildings in a grid is just not going to function at all because the traffic wont be able to go anywhere, no amount of public transportation will help. What you want to do is spread drivers around, know where they are going and where they are coming from and try to split them so they arrive from different directions. Make effective use of medium streets which only use stop signs where needed (high density streets and avenues use traffic lights which tend to make things worse in actual high traffic areas). You also need to keep certain buildings very close together, commercial should not be in a big block in the middle of your map, you should have it spread out inside of residential areas in walking distance, other jobs should surround the residential when possible so they head to work in different directions with as little distance traveled as possible.

Beyond that, you really need the police and fire helicopters, and the hospital upgrade that doubles the time ambulances can take to arrive before an injured sim dies.

Traffic is the biggest obstacle to a city in the game right now. It's hard to tell if that's by design or is due to bad AI.
#7leoking99Posted 3/12/2013 1:18:23 PM
That's an interesting city layout. It looks nice, but it does seem that you should have a few more of your roads connecting. For instance, where you have those 3 parks lined up in a row in the top right center, and underneath there is just one house on a corner, there should be a road connecting that street either to the north or south.
#8BufkusPosted 3/12/2013 1:20:41 PM
Avenues are actually bad if you have a lot of them, since they force a traffic light at every intersection. what you want are well placed density roads of varying degrees (not just all full). Higher roads get precedence over the lower roads, so there will only be stop signs at those intersections, allowing traffic to flow much more smoothly.

It's a PITA and I didn't even know about it until I saw a youtube video explaining it.
#9spankytheslothPosted 3/13/2013 2:28:34 PM
Bufkus posted...
Avenues are actually bad if you have a lot of them, since they force a traffic light at every intersection. what you want are well placed density roads of varying degrees (not just all full). Higher roads get precedence over the lower roads, so there will only be stop signs at those intersections, allowing traffic to flow much more smoothly.

It's a PITA and I didn't even know about it until I saw a youtube video explaining it.

There's actually traffic lights at intersections of high density roads as well, same as avenues. Best is to make streetcar avenues and space out the intersections some. Also a bus depot will cut down on road traffic a lot too
---
Brushes with death are like snowflakes; each one is unique, and if you have enough of them you can make a snowman.