I went back and played SimCity 2000... (A letter sent to EA)

#21DadansterPosted 3/18/2013 11:16:09 PM
Do you think if I have SC4 deluxe 2000 or 3000 would still be worth a shot?

Also in regards to everything you've said, I've seen posts on reddit I agree with that are similar. There's simplification of things to make them more fun, or to streamline them, or to even try a different style. But the simplification in Simcity just took away the things that made the other games fun and challenging. It's as if Maxis doesn't believe it's "fans" are smart enough to handle what they've done in the past, so they just removed it.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3qchfkw http://i.imgur.com/5vUHL.gif
#22PHOENIXZEROPosted 3/19/2013 12:18:43 AM
I had the PS version of SC2000, played the crap out of it.

roos1046 Reborn posted...
nice wall of text

That's not what a wall of text is, it's broken into paragraphs and not huge ones either.
---
Search engines are awesome, you can find the answer to the question that's been asked a hundred times before in a manner of seconds, more people should try it.
#23thetravelerPosted 3/19/2013 1:48:59 AM
roos1046 Reborn posted...
nice wall of text

you don't know what a wall of text is do you? Wall of text means there are no paragraphs and its a solid chink of words with no indentations. if you are going to troll at least have the common decency to do it properly.
---
PSN: Daswoot025. Bring it.
#24Neo_HeartlessPosted 3/19/2013 2:51:49 AM
How does the SNES version of SC2000 compare to the PC one? I played the SNES Sim City, and it was a good part of my childhood too. I remember abusing a glitch that paused the clock so that I could prevent the Nuclear Meltdown in.. Boston I think it was, from ever happening. Fun times.

I never got to play much of 2000, but I remember enjoying the terraforming, and placing rivers flowing downhill so that I could build Hydroelectricity dams for power. There was so much you could do. Nintendo needs to stop slaking off and release SNES virtual console games on the 3DS with those two games.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#25dark lancerPosted 3/19/2013 3:54:48 AM
I don't think the complexity of Sim City 2000 would allow it to succeed as well as it did if it came out now. This game is perhaps simplified because today's gamer doesn't have the patience for a game like Sim City 2000.
---
"Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, there's always laughter and good red wine!" -- Hilaire Belloc
[Papal Crusaders]
#26FizixManPosted 3/19/2013 4:17:00 AM(edited)
SimCity 2013 to me is comparable to the original original 1989 SimCity in terms of city size, scope and simplicity. Maxis was doing something new to revitalize the franchise, make it accessible to a new audience, and construct an entirely new simulation/graphical engine for it.

I suspect that the next iteration will take the style/advances and we'll see the kind of complexity and scale that we saw in 2000 take shape in the GlassBox engine. Yes, in some ways SimCity 2013 is a step backward, but it's probably a good investment which will move forward further than continuing to iterate on the same 24 year old model.
#27Felicia_catladyPosted 3/19/2013 4:16:32 AM
Nice letter. I agree with it 100%. Simcity 2k was amazing, maybe a bit complex for today's gamers, but at the time it was a fantastic game! I remember I bought it when it was released. I was still a kid, but could play the game without problems. SC3k is better in most aspects, but SC2k is still more addicting. In fact, even nowdays I still play it (using the Dosbox emulator).

Fun fact: Years later, I bought Sim Copter, and was amazed at the fact that you could do missions and fly a copter on cities that you created yourself. :p

Neo_Heartless posted...
How does the SNES version of SC2000 compare to the PC one? I played the SNES Sim City, and it was a good part of my childhood too. I remember abusing a glitch that paused the clock so that I could prevent the Nuclear Meltdown in.. Boston I think it was, from ever happening. Fun times.

I never got to play much of 2000, but I remember enjoying the terraforming, and placing rivers flowing downhill so that I could build Hydroelectricity dams for power. There was so much you could do. Nintendo needs to stop slaking off and release SNES virtual console games on the 3DS with those two games.

The Snes version is quite simplified, but its not bad. In fact, I would say that 90% of the PC version's features are in the Snes version.

But the Snes one is painfully slow when scrolling, and has worse graphics. Getting the PC version to play on the Dosbox emulator is better. ;)
---
Marcy.
:3
#28mstop_4Posted 3/19/2013 11:20:23 PM(edited)
I got SimCity 2000 Special Edition when I was a kid, which came with SCURK, a bunch of bonus cities and additional scenarios. I probably spent just as much time in SCURK creating custom tilesets as I did in the actual game.

Also, typing "vaudeville" = dancing arco!
---
blog.quadolorgames.com - My game dev blog
"Put it in H!"
#29DraconisRexPosted 3/20/2013 3:54:10 AM
Lord_Vader posted...
True. This game is much more simplified than it's predecessors. It might be a good game on its own (once all the bugs are fixed) but it really isn't the SimCity we all knew and grew up with. This is pretty much SimTown.

It's basically designed to be the T-Ball of God Games. Everybody gets a hit. Everybody gets a trophy.

They did this with Spore. Promised a complex game where we could influence the evolution of our microbes into a space-faring civilization, what we got was creationism in five mini-games that didn't really flow together.

Sims3... They did to it what they did to SimCity....

And so it goes... Churn the franchise. Burn the customer.
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
#30USERGameBoyBluePosted 3/20/2013 12:54:14 PM
I've picked up Simcity 2000 aswell. I realized I much prefer the playstation version over the pc one. Better music, full screen. The playstation one is the way to go.