So when the servers eventually shut down in a few years...

#31Jbach82Posted 3/23/2013 9:49:42 AM
I'm assuming none of you guys have ever purchased an MMO before. Based on the comments in this thread, never do that, because you may end up killing yourselves.
#32spankytheslothPosted 3/23/2013 9:58:06 AM
Like it or not, that's the future of PC games, thanks to piracy. Whether or not DRM works is moot; it was created because of piracy.
---
Brushes with death are like snowflakes; each one is unique, and if you have enough of them you can make a snowman.
#33MadigariPosted 3/23/2013 10:08:51 AM
Jbach82 posted...
I'm assuming none of you guys have ever purchased an MMO before. Based on the comments in this thread, never do that, because you may end up killing yourselves.

I can't entirely articulate why I feel that MMOs and this SimCity should be treated as entirely different beasts, but I feel that way, regardless.
---
Gamertag is Madigari, for both Xbox 360 and PSN.
If you can't get what you want, then you come with me.
#34MadigariPosted 3/23/2013 6:45:11 PM
spankythesloth posted...
Like it or not, that's the future of PC games, thanks to piracy. Whether or not DRM works is moot; it was created because of piracy.

Thinking on this a bit more, I don't know if it's fair to call the efficiency of DRM a moot point. If DRM was made to combat piracy, yet piracy still continues to happen regardless, then DRM has no actual purpose outside of annoying legitimate consumers.

If DRM doesn't work for its intended purpose, it shouldn't persist. That seems like the most obvious train of thought.
---
Gamertag is Madigari, for both Xbox 360 and PSN.
If you can't get what you want, then you come with me.
#35mrjhwarPosted 3/28/2013 10:41:16 AM(edited)
spankythesloth posted...

Online only is not because of piracy. It doesn't really stop it. There is online only because of the game itself like an MMO which is cool. There is online only also because companies want to control the legitimate buyers by selling them DLC and features and by closing the servers and forcing them to buy the new version of the game. Or quite simply they do it because it makes them more money which is also technically okay since it is their game. It's just annoying when they lie and say they do it because of piracy instead of just shutting up (They can't just go and admit that they do it for money for obvious reasons).
---
Are you wearing garbage, Batman?
#36Cobra1010Posted 3/28/2013 12:02:47 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]