Homeless and Jobs

#1spankytheslothPosted 3/21/2013 4:06:38 PM
So I've been trying to balance demand for jobs in my city, and I noticed a couple things.

First, my unemployment is at 0, yet there are 73 homeless people in my city and numerous buildings complaining about not having any money.

Second, service buildings create way more jobs than they should. My 100k pop city had 8,000 jobs from services alone, and since the work force is only 10% or 10,000, this leaves barely any workers for industry and commercial buildings. I can't get my industry demand down no matter what I try.

Anyone know how to at least get rid of the homeless people?
---
Brushes with death are like snowflakes; each one is unique, and if you have enough of them you can make a snowman.
#2mikurubeamPosted 3/21/2013 4:32:34 PM
Lower your taxes and increase land value. Best way to do the latter is have amphitheaters with park addons.
---
i7-3930k, Asus RIVE, 3x Sapphire 7970, G-Skill 16gig DDR-2133, Corsair AX1200 & H100, 4x Samsung 830, Asus Essence STX, Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440
#3CrazyMammothPosted 3/21/2013 4:34:36 PM
to remove homeless you have 2 options

1 make low wealth low density industry, so they can get a job or

2 make a public transit bus station so they can go to another city
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: CrazyMammoth1
#4spankythesloth(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 4:35:37 PM
I also noticed after clearing my entire city that I am somehow spending $4 an hour on water and have a 2.9kgal demand. I checked for those little structures industry creates but can't find any. There are also apparently 400 school desks available from some phantom location (none of the other cities I'm connected to have that number of free desks). Then there's the supposed 5000 people commuting in to an empty city, 136 commercial goods being produced, 8,640 freight orders, and 7 homeless people (in a city with 0 population). Again, I checked the other cities I'm connected to and none of these numbers make sense. My friends city actually has -432 students enrolled, lol.
---
Brushes with death are like snowflakes; each one is unique, and if you have enough of them you can make a snowman.
#5SedatedPosted 3/21/2013 4:39:18 PM
So basically the stats are saying that your city has homeless people who have jobs....makes sense to me.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#6spankythesloth(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 4:39:26 PM
mikurubeam posted...
Lower your taxes and increase land value. Best way to do the latter is have amphitheaters with park addons.

Wouldn't that mess with job demand by changing wealth levels of residents? Besides the homeless people are filling the parks I have making them useless. Seems like a vicious cycle.
---
#7spankythesloth(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 4:44:14 PM
CrazyMammoth posted...
to remove homeless you have 2 options

1 make low wealth low density industry, so they can get a job or

2 make a public transit bus station so they can go to another city

I've got 2 bus terminals with 16 buses each so that can't be the problem. Are there even wealth levels of industry? All it shows you is tech level, and I can't really reduce that without demolishing my university and community college. If it says there are 0 unemployed people then they already have jobs, so creating more industry won't help anyways.
---
#8mikurubeamPosted 3/21/2013 4:46:15 PM
spankythesloth posted...
mikurubeam posted...

Wouldn't that mess with job demand by changing wealth levels of residents? Besides the homeless people are filling the parks I have making them useless. Seems like a vicious cycle.

That was my best solution I don't have a single homeless in my city and land value is dark green in 80% of the residential area. I have my taxes at 9%.
---
i7-3930k, Asus RIVE, 3x Sapphire 7970, G-Skill 16gig DDR-2133, Corsair AX1200 & H100, 4x Samsung 830, Asus Essence STX, Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440
#9spankythesloth(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 5:21:08 PM
mikurubeam posted...
spankythesloth posted...
mikurubeam posted...

That was my best solution I don't have a single homeless in my city and land value is dark green in 80% of the residential area. I have my taxes at 9%.

I tried lowering my residential taxes from 9% to 8% and the number of homeless went up to 113 :/

I don't really get how this game comes up with these numbers. Same thing with school enrollment too. There's been times when 100% of my students were enrolled, yet right now only 3800 out of 9100 are enrolled even though there are 4200 extra desks, tons of school buses, and total coverage with school bus stops.

I have a feeling crime might be to blame, but I can't do anything about that because of traffic, buses bugging out at stops and blocking the street, and the police cars themselves driving around in circles instead of going to the crime.
---
#10spankythesloth(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 8:03:34 PM
I just looked at one of my commercial buildings and this is what it said:

What makes me happy: Lots of shoppers!
What makes me unhappy: No shoppers...

Lol SimCity.
---