Game Observations (48 Hours of game Play no Sandbox)

#1xoxide124Posted 3/25/2013 10:12:05 AM
Ok .. i started a new map this weekend since i have played around with the game and have a half way decent feel for it at this point.

Slow and Steady makes a difference in game play.. but i have made some observations and would like some feed back

I have been fighting traffic obviously like everyone else.

So.... Circles have been more of my hub choice.. It helps.. HOWEVER.. in someways it seems to confuse the engine..

Circles with Streets off of them are lucky to sometimes get electric unless you OVERPOWER your city (generate more than needed)

I went nearly half of my game play with no bus's / public transportation

Main feed to city via off map freeway was jammed packed

so i made some additional changes.. to my circle and cut one little part of it to make a U shape

connected 2 more AVE's to the main Feed ..

INSTANTLY traffic started moving better.. circles again..not sure what to think

I THEN added bus system.. noticed that they complain about it all the time.. then i noticed and had never used the park and ride..

by adding park and ride nearly 2/3 of my cars were off my roads and traffic was better

so i connected the main circle road and completed it again..

continued my game

I noticed also that there are a few mile stone points and hard to get over HUMPS in the game at normal pace. 11999k and 35000k, points with a functional city making 100 - 1000k an hour.. seems to struggle in growth..

some of the items that i need to unlock and see how the game progresses will be by adding tourism and unlocking some of the better parks for improved property values

however i was able to get a university up and running and upgraded my electric grid.. killed some of the wind power ( to make room for more residents) .. map size still really makes it hard to grow fast or at all

noticed that if you go slow and steady the game seems to advance better with less - drops in income..

anyone else?

jeff
#2iRoNsamurai420Posted 3/25/2013 11:16:49 AM
Slow and steady is the way...trial and error helps a lot...Let the city grow without overburdening it. Bonds help along the way. If you have a uni look to start moving into electronics. You'll need to have some capital to import but honestly you can start with just turning a profit off your recycling by using the alloy and plastic to make processors. TVs are where its at.

Traffic is only a problem if you have a city square with one lane off the outside highway coming in. If you choose your map wisely it isn't an issue. Whitewash Valley is awesome for Single player as 4 out of 5 city squares have the highway coming through the city rather than outside.
---
I do have a haircut like you...just not on my head...
#3I Like ToastPosted 3/25/2013 11:36:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBCQxjnZwaA

talks about some optimization, in praticular about keeping residential and commerical close together to increase the chance people walk instead of drive to reduce traffic.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
Review: New SimCity
#4cns1977Posted 3/25/2013 12:23:55 PM
Slow is the way to go with it. I also try to make sure that I keep all my Sims employed. The only problem I really have is traffic and also the ungodly amount of unfilled jobs. I almost think that it is a glitch because I have 3000+ jobs available and no one is unemployed. Also, no businesses have gone under (I exclude factories) and are thriving very well. I haven't really seen any real change with the traffic either. Ambulances, cop cars and fire trucks still obey the rules of the road.
#5xoxide124(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 1:27:03 PM
cns1977 posted...
Slow is the way to go with it. I also try to make sure that I keep all my Sims employed. The only problem I really have is traffic and also the ungodly amount of unfilled jobs. I almost think that it is a glitch because I have 3000+ jobs available and no one is unemployed. Also, no businesses have gone under (I exclude factories) and are thriving very well. I haven't really seen any real change with the traffic either. Ambulances, cop cars and fire trucks still obey the rules of the road.

thank you all for some of your feed back

has anyone figured out if there is a way to FORCE build construction other than placment of objects to create layout variations?

I so wish they had one way traffic
traffic circles are something i'm trying to use a little so much.. they help and hurt at times

anyone else with some circle designs.. i have seen a few out there with different patterns and distribution of RCI

my ratios seem to be 6/10 ths = res 3/10ths industrial and 1 /10th commercial

at least in this current city with 48 hours..

jeff