Free Nissan Leaf charging station announced

#1occonoPosted 4/2/2013 4:01:28 PM
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/2/4176018/ea-sponsored-items-simcity-nissan-leaf
---
3DS FC: 3050 7562 3560
I'm "occono" on Steam and PSN, "occono2" on XBL.
#2Lord_VaderPosted 4/2/2013 4:48:46 PM(edited)
I can see where they are going with this. This is going to be exactly like the Sims 3 where there are store items that you'll be able to get for free or buy them for a hefty price. Pretty soon we'll get regular expansion and stuff packs too. Personally I hate that business model because once all the expansions and DLC are released, you end up having to spend $500 or more to get the complete experience. I know the DLC is optional but many other companies don't do this micro DLC crap (i.e. Rockstar). The ones that do employ micro DLC do it in a user friendly fashion, sell DLC that doesn't provide gameplay benefits, or sells DLC in a way that's it's cheap for the consumer (i.e. TF2, Total War, Guild Wars). Don't get me wrong. I'm all for additional content for a game including micro DLC and regular expansions. But when it costs $500+ to get everything out of a game there's something seriously wrong. I'd much rather prefer if they would release a few $30-40 expansions with a bunch of content like in the old days, but we know that's not going to happen because this is EA.

I do like the fact that the Nissan charging station is free and that they're promoting green energy, which I'm a big fan of.
---
Live long and prosper.
#3HyperShadow4321Posted 4/2/2013 7:15:16 PM
Yeah, I think it's pretty nifty. It's free anyways and provides extra happiness to your residents.
#4MikeH7186Posted 4/2/2013 8:02:41 PM
So I downloaded it, plopped one down for a moment then went back to sleep. Can it only supply 5 cars per station put down? Also I can tell they put no effort into this because when you look at the building, the charging station has a green/red light that alternates constantly. You'd think it would stay green while a car is charging, and then red when nothing is in place but no, it flickers like a christmas tree.
#5fluffycowPosted 4/4/2013 1:34:42 AM
If it's only available for the next six months does that mean it will be removed from our cities after six months?
---
My manga list http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/flufffycow
Current US debt http://www.usdebtclock.org
#6SoulTrapperPosted 4/4/2013 2:06:45 AM
Free advertisement that even further breaks the games balance by providing free happiness without any negative effects?

Great to see a company care about our future by advertising these fantastic technologies that will save the world!

Thanks EA™!
I'll be placing lots of these Nissan™Leaf™ stations in my city!
---
PSN: El_Coon
#7rikvanoostendePosted 4/4/2013 2:39:07 AM
Hey if Fallout 3 featured Coca Cola instead of Nuka Cola and the game was sold for half price because of avertisement revenue, who am I to complain? This is the least annoying way to keep games affordable/profitable.
---
'The last game was a lot better. This one is just a dumbed down spinoff, unworthy of its title, made for casual gamers.'
- Any 'hardcore' gamer on every sequel
#8SedatedPosted 4/4/2013 3:28:41 AM(edited)
rikvanoostende posted...
Hey if Fallout 3 featured Coca Cola instead of Nuka Cola and the game was sold for half price because of avertisement revenue, who am I to complain? This is the least annoying way to keep games affordable/profitable.

What? So Simcity is being sold at half price because of this advertising revenue? What are you even on about...

With that said advertising in video games doesn't bother me one bit in the proper context, in some cases it can add to the realism.

Now obviously if a game had a 3 minute cutscene where characters went on and on about the refreshing taste of mountain dew I would probably smash someones face in with my 360 controller.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#9SoulTrapperPosted 4/4/2013 4:07:37 AM
rikvanoostende posted...

Problem would be that the Coca cola wouldn't have the negative effects (radiation) Nuka Cola has, because it would be bad for it's reputation.
Same as this charging station costs nothing, not even power.

It would be nice in some instances and if it's not too forced, especially if it would help keep prices down, I agree with that.

On an unrelated note: My family used to have a vacation house in Oostende, had a lot of fun there as a kid. Must be a nice place to live, as well.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#10rikvanoostendePosted 4/4/2013 4:32:12 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
rikvanoostende posted...

Problem would be that the Coca cola wouldn't have the negative effects (radiation) Nuka Cola has, because it would be bad for it's reputation.
Same as this charging station costs nothing, not even power.

It would be nice in some instances and if it's not too forced, especially if it would help keep prices down, I agree with that.

On an unrelated note: My family used to have a vacation house in Oostende, had a lot of fun there as a kid. Must be a nice place to live, as well.

Never been there myself, honestly. Yet. It's just my last name and a three hour drive from where I live ;)

I agree with you, on the point of keeping it balanced but EA did the same with British Petroleum in Simcity Societies and . They just slapped their logo on everything 'green' like windmills and solar panels, but they didn't make them free or OP or anything. (Guess that was before the Great Oil Spill)

@Sedated: I'm not talking about the game as a whole; you and Toast wrecked enough topics doing that. I was just talking about game developers using advertisement instead as a source of revenue.
---
'The last game was a lot better. This one is just a dumbed down spinoff, unworthy of its title, made for casual gamers.'
- Any 'hardcore' gamer on every sequel