Why do medium density intersections?

#1call of dutyPosted 4/4/2013 2:12:54 PM
I just don't understand what makes the medium density intersection better?

If you don't understand what I mean, this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV6PrEjaH8Q) makes the ends of all his high density road intersections into medium density. Why did he do that?
---
Number of people who claim that I'm an idiot because of my username, even though they weren't even born when I created my account nor played the first CoD: 5
#2oooooooo_toastyPosted 4/4/2013 2:40:20 PM
I remember hearing in a video on here earlier today that medium density roads give way to avenues, so all traffic on the avenues moves, and then the intersections are the bits get backed up, allowing important things to move freely in and out.

If I'm remembering correctly.
---
"wtf is a sephiroth" - scarecrowshand
'I've been on this board about one day and you're already pissing me off' - tranquilizerrr to Xeeh_Bitz
#3xoxide124Posted 4/4/2013 2:43:35 PM
road density has to do with building density but i have yet to figure it out..
i have a map with a single main road no interections.. just buildings and all agents go to the end of the map to build on the opposite side of the street

i have seen / heard that building residential on med size roads helps.. but i have not seen any changes

and in circle only cities i built .. agents can't get to the details within the circles easily for electric or water.. i'm hoping 2.0 fix's that but i have to wait and see

i really do not know yet myself what the difference is yet
#4rikvanoostendePosted 4/4/2013 2:45:35 PM
That way, all sidestreets (HD) ending in the long streets (MD) get traffic lights and the long streets don't. As such, the MD long streets are really fast.
---
Let's agree to disagree.
#5xoxide124Posted 4/4/2013 2:49:52 PM
rikvanoostende posted...
That way, all sidestreets (HD) ending in the long streets (MD) get traffic lights and the long streets don't. As such, the MD long streets are really fast.

but if your intersections are to close together you still get road jams .. forgot that lights were the major difference

would be easier with one way streets and optional lights and stop lights turn only ..

not sure i find one street better than the other.. anyone? have you noticed residential building better off of med den over high den?
#6rikvanoostendePosted 4/5/2013 7:26:44 AM
xoxide124 posted...
rikvanoostende posted...

but if your intersections are to close together you still get road jams .. forgot that lights were the major difference

would be easier with one way streets and optional lights and stop lights turn only ..

not sure i find one street better than the other.. anyone? have you noticed residential building better off of med den over high den?

DLC will give us one way streets, roundabouts, over-/underpasses, optional streetlights...
Have you noticed that the city specialization buttons are grouped in the center of the menu while the roads leave plenty of room for additional buttons? Smart money says you'll get the Advanced Roads DLC in about five months.
---
Let's agree to disagree.
#7TheVillageIdiotPosted 4/5/2013 7:47:13 AM
Low or medium density roads intersecting with high density avenues do not result in a traffic light so the flow on the avenue will never have to stop (in theory). In practice they will sometimes due to emergency vehicles, cars waiting to turn, glitches, etc.

High density roads (streets and avenues) also allow for high density buildings to be built. If you have only low/medium density roads you will not see the tall skyscrapers because those are high density. Using the smaller road types makes it easy to control if building density will upgrade and by extension, control the population. Even if you think your roads can handle all the new residents, you do not want a mad rush of hundreds of moving/construction vehicles into your city all at once, so upgrade roads piecemeal to help keep a handle on traffic.

Something else I think will work but never tried myself is to de-zone the area and then upgrade the road. If it's not zoned any longer, then they *should* not build new buildings. If that works, then you could end up with low or medium density buildings on high density roads.
#8call of duty(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 7:59:35 AM(edited)
So I should always make my connections medium density if I want avenue traffic to take precedence??
---
Number of people who claim that I'm an idiot because of my username, even though they weren't even born when I created my account nor played the first CoD: 5
#9TheVillageIdiotPosted 4/5/2013 8:56:28 AM
I tend to do that, but eventually the traffic turning onto those lower density streets will back up due to the fact that the throughput is lower, occasionally stopping the avenue traffic anyway. Making little one tile pieces of medium density street connect to the road followed by high density road behind it is not something I have ever done, but sounds like a good idea in theory. It could still end with a backup in the other direction, meaning the cars trying to get to the avenue are bottlenecked, but I think that is better than having the avenue stopped.

No matter what I do, all of my cities have ended up with serious traffic problems somewhere when the population gets up to about 125-150k. Whether it's at the city entrance, on the main avenue, in the residential areas, in front of my college, etc. I know how to solve each of those problems individually, but I cannot seem to solve them all at the same time (except for making one long snaking road, which is my most successful city by far, seriously).
#10call of duty(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 5:08:21 AM
I tend to do that, but eventually the traffic turning onto those lower density streets will back up due to the fact that the throughput is lower, occasionally stopping the avenue traffic anyway. Making little one tile pieces of medium density street connect to the road followed by high density road behind it is not something I have ever done, but sounds like a good idea in theory. It could still end with a backup in the other direction, meaning the cars trying to get to the avenue are bottlenecked, but I think that is better than having the avenue stopped.

No matter what I do, all of my cities have ended up with serious traffic problems somewhere when the population gets up to about 125-150k. Whether it's at the city entrance, on the main avenue, in the residential areas, in front of my college, etc. I know how to solve each of those problems individually, but I cannot seem to solve them all at the same time (except for making one long snaking road, which is my most successful city by far, seriously).

How did your snaking road's emergency services cope?
---