One month later, is SimCity worth playing?

#1KythlynPosted 4/5/2013 9:25:55 AM
Hey everyone. Can you believe it's already been a month since SimCity launched? I put together an article about many of the changes that have been made to the game, and while I feel like it's largely improved, there's still definitely plenty of room for further improvement.

http://gamerhorizon.com/simcity-one-month-later/

What do you guys think? Do you feel safe recommending SimCity to your friends? Are you still experiencing rollbacks and crashes? And now that you've had a month with the game, do you think it's fun and worth playing?

Personally I've enjoyed it a great deal, despite all of the issues, but the more I play it, the more I want those issues to be resolved. The recycling center bug in particular has been irking me lately, so I'm really looking forward to the fix in patch 2.0. But as much as I'm enjoying the game, I can't help but to wonder what the game will be like a year from now.
---
http://gamerhorizon.com/
#2Hunta KillerPosted 4/5/2013 9:53:42 AM
yes. i bought it a few days ago, its a lot of fun, sucks you in for hours, everyone complains about bugs but the very few bugs ive had, a lot of them were actually beneficial, like 2 buildings popped up in the same spot, overlapping. the size of the map doesnt matter because you create 2 cities next to eachother and its almost exactly like having 1 big city. they feed off eachothers water electricity n crap,

really its worth it n ud be smart not to listen to the crap ppl are talkin
---
Battle.net 2.0 : HuntaKiller - 229
Xbox Live : Hunta Killer
#3whemmyPosted 4/5/2013 10:01:56 AM
bought it yesterday... already have ~20 hours played.

I like it.
#4whemmyPosted 4/5/2013 10:02:45 AM
whemmy posted...

I like it.

If Heavy Trafic is a bug, I like that bug! Actually I like trafics! :D
#5TheVillageIdiotPosted 4/5/2013 10:04:04 AM
I think it's a fun game still, but only to a point due to the small city sizes, not being able to count on regional play to work (utilities not shared correctly, among other issues), and poor AI in general. Tell me why my buses just follow each other in a single file line or do loops around avenue medians, or why garbage trucks drive past overflowing piles only to have to come back and retrace their route to pick up the trash later, please. Why will cars just stop in the middle of the road when there is no traffic in front of them?

I still find it very engrossing to start a city/region from scratch and build it up, but I know at some point it will become unplayable for one reason or another. Bottom line is that I can't play the game the way it was marketed, to be quite honest. For now I am playing it with sort of an experimental methodology, but it won't be long until I lose interest without patches that fix some of the core issues.

I would not recommend it to others. If asked I would tell them about all these things and let them make their own decision.
#6thefinalzapkeetPosted 4/5/2013 10:14:12 AM
Yeah, I like it. It's getting kind of bad though because it sucks me in. I'll play it at 4 PM, then realize it's midnight.

I think most of the bugs have been kinked out. if I had bought it on launch i would have been angry, but I only got it a few days ago and it's been great fun :)
---
Go the Distance is the most inspirational song ever
those that agree: 45
#7meiyukiPosted 4/5/2013 10:26:20 AM
It's way too easy, there's just no depth to it at all. This should be the deepest simcity ever and yet it's the most shallow. I built a few cities and a great work and then asked myself what the heck is the point? I don't have the creativity or freedom of sc4 to build what I want or make the city the way I imagine it. There's little to be concerned with over the budget as pretty much any specialization will bring in so much money you have the most ridiculous hourly losses and still be fine. There's no customizations of ordinances or anything like that to further customize the city. Very little involved in placing mass transit, it just doesn't feel like a city at all.
#8SedatedPosted 4/5/2013 5:57:08 PM
whemmy posted...
whemmy posted...

I like it.

If Heavy Trafic is a bug, I like that bug! Actually I like trafics! :D

---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#9Lord_VaderPosted 4/5/2013 5:59:02 PM
What the hell is gamer horizon? You should be warned/banned for sneakingly trying to advertise your own website.
---
Live long and prosper.
#10Kythlyn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 9:24:17 AM
meiyuki posted...
It's way too easy, there's just no depth to it at all. This should be the deepest simcity ever and yet it's the most shallow. I built a few cities and a great work and then asked myself what the heck is the point? I don't have the creativity or freedom of sc4 to build what I want or make the city the way I imagine it. There's little to be concerned with over the budget as pretty much any specialization will bring in so much money you have the most ridiculous hourly losses and still be fine. There's no customizations of ordinances or anything like that to further customize the city. Very little involved in placing mass transit, it just doesn't feel like a city at all.

I've found there is some depth in really trying to balance the available jobs to workers and goods to shoppers. In a single city, it's actually a pretty fun challenge, but when adding region play to the mix, it gets weird. Commuters and shoppers from other cities seem very inconsistent at the moment, and don't even get me started about sharing electricity/water/sewage treatment.

Still, I get where you're coming from. You're right about how specializations bring in more money than you'll ever need, and creative freedom is certainly stifled by the small maps, the lack of adjacent cities, and the inability to draw roads outside of the city borders or to edit the regional highway.

Compared to a month ago, things are improved quite a bit... but they still have a lot of work to do.
---
http://gamerhorizon.com/