Reclamation Plan for polluted land?

#1TB84Posted 4/8/2013 10:56:25 AM
So I had lots of minerals and oil on one of my plots so I mined the heck out of them. Now I have several wide areas of polluted land. The minerals are gone, but now I'm left with a lot of sick and unhappy sims due to the pollution.

Have you been successful in reclaiming (ie cleaning) the polluted land back to non-polluted status? Zoning residential or commercial only makes more unhappy and ultimately sick sims.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TB

PS The only mitigation I've done is building two more hospitals with additional ambulances and a diagnostic lab. The effect has been minimal -- sims are still getting sick.
---
"We are winning!"
Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information
#2IXIShogunateIXIPosted 4/8/2013 11:02:10 AM
The best, and only way I've found is to plant trees. They are found under the parks menu - medium wealth and all the way right.

Keep in mind, it is a long process and as the trees "absorb" the pollution they die. So you will need to replant them.
---
Gamertag / Playstation-Network : IXIShogunateIXI
#3TB84(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 11:15:39 AM
IXIShogunateIXI posted...
The best, and only way I've found is to plant trees. They are found under the parks menu - medium wealth and all the way right.

Keep in mind, it is a long process and as the trees "absorb" the pollution they die. So you will need to replant them.

Awesome! THanks for the reply. I guess there is hope after all.
---
"We are winning!"
Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information
#4HyperShadow4321Posted 4/8/2013 1:36:39 PM
IXIShogunateIXI posted...

That's good to know. I was wondering about this as well. I don't know if it affects ground pollution in general, but I noticed that after I switched from Sewage Outflow Pipes to a Sewage Treatment Plant (in the same place), the mass of ground pollution started going away over time. I don't know if that would help with your issue though.

I feel that this is why it would be really nice if we could create our own plots of land. I hate when I start a city with a high level of coal, ore, etc. and it's all focused right in the middle of the map, or in another area that would be ideal for residential. I usually build my residential on a side of the map where the wind won't be blowing into it, so my Industry doesn't spread pollution all over the place, so it's a bit annoying when the resource deposits are in those places.
#5kaveinPosted 4/8/2013 8:16:43 PM
what happens if the ground becomes too polluted to plant trees? i have eletronics factories sitting next to a dump and the soil has become so black and dirty trees dont seem to grow around these things.