High traffic on the highway coming into the city, unable to export

#1AvatarSTPosted 4/13/2013 1:14:13 PM
I started losing money really fast after I was making loads. Taking a look my exports have almost stopped entirely and I can see the trucks stuck in traffic on the highway outside my city.

Needless to say if this keeps up I'm gonna be bankrupt soon. Is there any workaround for this, or any way I could solve it?
#2NoOneReallyCaresPosted 4/15/2013 3:02:18 PM
If you have rails or water available and enough space for a trade port with one of those modules place it and have IT do the exports. If you don't, a trade port will still function better than a depot on roads (more reliably at least) but you will likely have to try to solve the traffic congestion problem your having first. Screenshot of the city entrance and more information would be needed to really give any advice on how to fix that. It could be too much or too little mass transit, it could be the location of other cities in the region. It could be the road type or intersections present near the road entrance to the city. It could be a great work causing traffic congestion.

When relying on imports/exports for income try to keep a large budget surplus, especially when making any changes to your city. Always try to get a trade port down, plan to leave space for it at the best location (closest to where your going to have the buildings that produce while still remaining close to the water or rails). Rail is probably the most reliable method as it can import/export based on the amount of storage you have for a given resource so more storage for a single resource means more is moved per train.
#3ertfertPosted 4/15/2013 7:30:30 PM
Ive had the same problem, only i cant import any crude oil to make fuel
and even better, im affected by the bug that causes cargo ships to never import or export anything
so i had to gift myself an emergency bail out and cash some bonds in order to stay afloat and used the money to seriously work my roads... which was only marginally effective
so i had to pretty much run rail around the length of my city in order to reach the trade port, which fixed the problem at very considerable cost
then after i quit the game and came back, i got the "city not available at this time" bug and now its lost, probably forever
#4Galvatron ZeroPosted 4/16/2013 8:39:07 AM
My processor city went bankrupt for this exact reason.

Got so successful that the increase in pop and traffic killed it :(
---
Galvatron Zero
#5I Like ToastPosted 4/16/2013 10:25:45 AM
delete the connection to your city, let it simulate on cheetah for a few minutes and it will clear. Than pause it and fix your entrance. You want to push the first stop light into your city as far as you can and give medium densinity roads for them to take as alternates.

Once they're in your city it's up to your roads to work effeciently. Either look into reducing the need to commute(having balanced RCI in your city) or give alternatives to getting out of the city(most notably multiple train stations).
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#6MikeH7186Posted 4/16/2013 11:07:34 AM
Galvatron Zero posted...
My processor city went bankrupt for this exact reason.

Got so successful that the increase in pop and traffic killed it :(

I've been able to handle population increases by doing it in segments when you reach high density. For example if 95% of your city is already medium density, and the only low density are buildings that don't have room to expand, I would take a section of the city and upgrade to high density. Say maybe 20% at first. Then once you see it's flowing correctly, do another 20%, or even 40%. But that's where I stop. I don't like all sky scrapers anyway, so having medium density thrown in adds diversity as well as keeping some traffic down.

150k-200k population is possible without traffic issues using this technique.

http://i.imgur.com/hMrhGTk.jpg (80k population)

http://i.imgur.com/Eurlqe0.jpg (172k population)
#7JBDevinPosted 4/16/2013 6:03:42 PM
my solution that i came across for highway traffic is

1 having all high density avenues.
2 making some type of roundabout at your entrance into your city
3 never have a 4 way intersection, but only t intersections

i highly suggest making a sandbox city to play around with your entrance. I can support a 450k population with smooth traffic with a roundabout type entrance

hope this helps
#8NoOneReallyCaresPosted 4/16/2013 7:46:47 PM
JBDevin posted...
my solution that i came across for highway traffic is

1 having all high density avenues.
2 making some type of roundabout at your entrance into your city
3 never have a 4 way intersection, but only t intersections

i highly suggest making a sandbox city to play around with your entrance. I can support a 450k population with smooth traffic with a roundabout type entrance

hope this helps

I agree on 2 and 3 being useful but there is actually a benefit to using regular high density roads, particularly for zoned areas. The simple fact is, traffic on avenues can not turn left so if you use all avenues not only are you taking up more space with roads but you are leaving a lot of potential for u-turn traffic jams from people exiting buildings onto avenues but being unable to go left immediately. Avenues are really meant for and best at thru traffic (like being the shortest route from residential to industry).

Also, until they are fixed do NOT overuse streetcar avenues in high traffic areas like the city entrance. The streetcars often clump up and block traffic and can easily make congestion worse.