EA doesn't shut down games that have to be played online

#1thebeaslePosted 4/15/2013 5:21:05 AM
Except that they just shut down SC Social. SC2013 won't be far behind.
http://forum.playfish.com/showthread.php?t=2968221

What if I have an existing balance of Diamonds in SimCity Social on Facebook?

Players are encouraged to spend their remaining balance of Diamonds in SimCity Social before the game is retired on June 14th. As of that date, any remaining Diamonds left in the game will be invalid.

What if I have a Playfish cash card I have not redeemed?

Players are encouraged to redeem and spend their Playfish cash cards before the game is retired on June 14th. After that date, you will need to contact customer service regarding your Playfish cash cards.

Please go to Help.ea.com and select Contact Us to contact Customer Service.
#2SlyClone2kPosted 4/15/2013 7:54:43 AM
so we can reallocate development resources to other titles

What I see is that people have put in real money for things in this game, may even still have credits for the game, but the game is going to be shut off so dev? resources can be used elsewere?? Why not just stop development and leave the game running.
Oh no, its just more EA speak and this time from the EA "CM"

More EA warning lights about losing the option to play something you've paid a lot of money for.

On the other hand reading the other "playfish" titles forums its clear that all the games are having the plug pulled.. and then come across this..

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/401122/playfish-future-in-doubt-as-ea-axes-more-facebook-games/

So why make a statement about it being a development decision when its clearly not. More EA marketing. Read the headline statement SC2013 lovers everywhere, when EA decide that "activity of these titles has "fallen off"." you're going to lose your game too.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124
#3I Like ToastPosted 4/15/2013 8:14:42 AM
because f2p facebook games are comparable in any way shape or form to games with an upfront cost.

but you keep being a good conspiracy theorist.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#4SlyClone2kPosted 4/15/2013 8:28:51 AM
No with the games that are paid for up front the money is already in the books. The only way to generate more is through DLC. Once you're in DLC territory I imagine the revenue generation model is pretty similar to facebook games.

There's nothing conspiratorial about looking at a situation which is going on now and applying some logical conclusion to something that might happen in the future.

Incidentally, I've lost creative work from a Lionhead game when the online part was shut down. Oh yeh, I'm no longer able to play BF1942 on EA servers because they've all been shut down.

EA have a growing proven record of shutting down their services when something is no longer making a profit and wains in popularity and who knows what will make that level for this game with EA?

But hey, there's every chance that the service will finally be taken down long after you and everyone else want to stop playing right?

Yeah just look at the 50+ pages and growing of all the people on those EA/playfish games who'd long grown weary of it and are saying thanks to EA for shutting down something they no longer play.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124
#5darkace77450Posted 4/15/2013 8:40:45 AM
I Like Toast posted...
because f2p facebook games are comparable in any way shape or form to games with an upfront cost.

First you justified EA's shutting down of servers by saying "they're just sports franchises".
Then you justified EA's shutting down of servers by saying "it wasn't a very popular game anyway".
Now you're justifying EA's shutting down of servers by saying "it's just a Facebook game".

You're running out of excuses, even if the ones you've used thus far have been weak.
#6Bikes-Posted 4/15/2013 9:11:06 AM
I Like Toast posted...

You can spend more money on a F2P game potentially soo....yes, yes is.
#7SoulTrapperPosted 4/15/2013 9:28:41 AM
Was expecting something like this, EA is in full-on panic mode due to not having any titles coming out in the near future and both Simcity and Dead space 3 under performing.
They were firing people from QA departments as well a week ago.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/190320/

They need to show investors at the next conference call that they're making some sort of revenue, so cost cutting (firing people and shutting games down) is pretty much their only option.

It does show exactly what is in store for the future of this game in a year or two, maybe three.
Especially seeing as how there is no mention of an offline option.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#8I Like ToastPosted 4/15/2013 10:21:10 AM(edited)
potentially

key word

sim city social had less upkeep and potentially bring in more money that an mmo. Yet, Warhammer online, a game with a tiny population is still running while this game(and most of EA's playfish games) are being shut down.

It has to do with the new CEO, but again, feel free to fear monger instead of educate yourself.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#9SoulTrapperPosted 4/15/2013 2:42:23 PM(edited)
I Like Toast posted...

key word

sim city social had less upkeep and potentially bring in more money that an mmo. Yet, Warhammer online, a game with a tiny population is still running while this game(and most of EA's playfish games) are being shut down.

It has to do with the new CEO, but again, feel free to fear monger instead of educate yourself.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/04/15/anti-social-behavior-ea-closes-sim-city-sims-social-limits-facebook-exposure/

These announcements follow on the April 12 announcement that EA’s Montréal studio will be reorganized and downsized. All of these decisions, of course, are taking place in the context of EA’s impending Q4 and full year results, which are expected to be at the bottom end of or below EA’s guidance.

It has to do with the their disastrous Q4 results, which means this game is at just as much risk of not being around anymore in 2 years as all other online only games.

Warhammer requires people to pay $15/month, meaning that it brings in steady income.
This game had a one time cost of $60 and once the interest in the DLC drops, there won't be anymore profit from it, just like the games they're shutting down now and have shut down in the past.

And as far as the public knows, there isn't a new CEO yet.
Do you happen to know more about EAs internal workings than the average message board user, Toast?
Because that would confirm a lot of suspicions people have.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#10LordPonchoPosted 4/15/2013 2:52:17 PM(edited)
SoulTrapper posted...
I Like Toast posted...

key word

sim city social had less upkeep and potenthat ly bring in more money that an mmo. Yet, Warhammer online, a game with a tiny population is still running while this game(and most of EA's playfish games) are being shut down.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/04/15/anti-social-behavior-ea-closes-sim-city-sims-social-limits-facebook-exposure/

These announcements follow on the April 12 announcement that EA’s Montréal studio will be reorganized and downsized. All of these decisions, of course, are taking place in the context of EA’s impending Q4 and full year results, which are expected to be at the bottom end of or below EA’s guidance.

It has to do with the their disastrous Q4 results, which means this game is at just as much risk of not being around anymore in 2 years as all other online only games.

Warhammer requires people to pay $15/month, meaning that it brings in steady income.
This game had a one time cost of $60 and once the interest in the DLC drops, there won't be anymore profit from it, just like the games they're shutting down now and have shut down in the past.

And as far as the public knows, there isn't a new CEO yet.
Do you happen to know more about EAs internal workings than the average message board user, Toast?
Because that would confirm a lot of suspicions people have.

This would have to do with the new CEO. This happens with any company taking on a new CEO. Staff gets laid off, new staff gets hires. Products fhat aren't deemed secure get cut while potential gains are strengthened.

This would have happened to anyone.

And Larry Probst stepped in. This was public information.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800