EA doesn't shut down games that have to be played online

#11SedatedPosted 4/15/2013 10:36:55 PM
Didn't they also shutdown the Sims online?
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#12SoulTrapperPosted 4/15/2013 11:38:39 PM
LordPoncho posted...

This would have to do with the new CEO. This happens with any company taking on a new CEO. Staff gets laid off, new staff gets hires. Products fhat aren't deemed secure get cut while potential gains are strengthened.

This would have happened to anyone.

And Larry Probst stepped in. This was public information.

No it doesn't.

This happens to a company that's threading water and needs something to jack up it's figures for their next investor call.
The firings didn't just happen after Riccitiello stepped down, they've been happening for months. Ever since Dead Space 3 and Army of Two reboot failed to deliver.

Even Forbes agrees on this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/04/15/anti-social-behavior-ea-closes-sim-city-sims-social-limits-facebook-exposure/

All of these decisions, of course, are taking place in the context of EAs impending Q4 and full year results, which are expected to be at the bottom end of or below EAs guidance.

Larry Probst is the interim-CEO, not the new CEO.
An interim CEO isn't going to make major adjustments right before someone else takes over.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#13ThirdDegreePosted 4/16/2013 7:31:05 AM
I don't think people realize that this is uncharted territory for the most part. So no one really knows what EA will do. EA doesn't have years of research to decide what's the most profitable action to take when it comes to free to play online only games. They don't know how shutting down those games might effect sales of other always online games. I wish I could go back and not buy Sim City. True I had fun with it at first but not 60 dollars worth of fun. I had about 20 dollars worth of fun. I can't undo that so all I can do is learn from my mistake. I can watch how EA handles everything and decide whether or not they will continue to make poor decisions at the cost of their customers. And from what I can tell they will and I will probably never buy another game with EA's logo on it unless they stop making poor decisions.
---
gamertag: HndrdDollarBaby
PSN: HundrdDollarBaby
#14ThirdDegreePosted 4/16/2013 7:37:15 AM
also anyone that thinks this new SimCity will be supported as long as you are able to play Sim City 4 is naive. I mean there's going to be a point where they release a new game and want people to buy that and the DLC for that. They'll stop profiting off this game and it will be all cost to keep the servers running. Then it gets the axe.
---
gamertag: HndrdDollarBaby
PSN: HundrdDollarBaby
#15rowgue34Posted 4/16/2013 8:04:30 AM
LordPoncho posted...

This would have to do with the new CEO. This happens with any company taking on a new CEO. Staff gets laid off, new staff gets hires. Products fhat aren't deemed secure get cut while potential gains are strengthened.

This would have happened to anyone.

And Larry Probst stepped in. This was public information.

You're partially correct, but only on the irrelevant part. When a new CEO takes over at a company it does often entail layoffs and major restructuring and things of that sort. The part you're leaving out however, is that 99.9% of the time a new CEO is taking over because the company is taking on water and trying to change course and avoid the impending collapse.

It isn't just a natural thing for massive amounts of people to get laid off and to completely change the direction a company has been taking for no reason other than that the new guy wants it that way. CEOs are largely just figure heads and mouthpieces in today's world anyway. The board of directors are the ones that really make the decisions.
#16Bikes-Posted 4/17/2013 5:56:45 AM
I Like Toast posted...
potentially

key word

sim city social had less upkeep and potentially bring in more money that an mmo. Yet, Warhammer online, a game with a tiny population is still running while this game(and most of EA's playfish games) are being shut down.

It has to do with the new CEO, but again, feel free to fear monger instead of educate yourself.

I....errr how the hell did anything you just say relate to this simcity? Simcity isn't the exact same other and you're cherry picking your examples. As someone else pointed out they shut down sims online, so it's not like they kept every MMO around anyway. EA has shut down various online games of pretty much every payment type. Simcity is a new model (as far as EA goes at least) so we'll have to see.
#17I Like ToastPosted 4/17/2013 6:02:07 AM
As someone else pointed out they shut down sims online

and the game sold a fraction of what simcity has sold, and was still open for 6 years.

EA has shut down various online games of pretty much every payment type.

ones that have offline options.

But i could use your same 'logic'

"Simcity isn't the exact same other and you're cherry picking your examples"
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#18Bikes-Posted 4/17/2013 8:25:16 AM
I Like Toast posted...
As someone else pointed out they shut down sims online

and the game sold a fraction of what simcity has sold, and was still open for 6 years.

EA has shut down various online games of pretty much every payment type.

ones that have offline options.

But i could use your same 'logic'

"Simcity isn't the exact same other and you're cherry picking your examples"

No...not all of them had offline options. But you are correct the cherry picking works both ways. However as is EA has shut down games before, this game however is a new case so we'll see. Realistically they'll have to shut it down eventually, but they can also release a offline mode (if modders don't get it 100% up and running before then [don't know current status on that])
#19I Like ToastPosted 4/17/2013 8:34:21 AM
Realistically they'll have to shut it down eventually,

Correct, i bought the game expecting 5-10 years of the servers being up. What they choose to do when they take them down, I don't know. There are a lot of options they have, i don't fear monger about it today. What happens is what happens and I wasn't naive enough to buy the game expecting the servers to be up forever.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#20BEAMS_ae86Posted 4/17/2013 1:10:14 PM
Mass effect 3 multiplayer is shutted down this year also. game was just released 13 months ago. No one mentioning that?
---
I arrive your screen from the neighbourwifi...thanks, god bless..you...