EA doesn't shut down games that have to be played online

#21BEAMS_ae86Posted 4/17/2013 1:11:26 PM
I Like Toast posted...
I wasn't naive enough to buy the game expecting the servers to be up forever.

Im naive to think when i buy a game, im not just renting it?

My simcity 4 still works, playing it right now on alt tab...Was i naive??
---
I arrive your screen from the neighbourwifi...thanks, god bless..you...
#22I Like ToastPosted 4/17/2013 1:16:59 PM

Given you think that this would be renting in the first place, yup.

Mass effect 3 multiplayer is shutted down this year also

well their is the part where they are still up right this very second.

If bought SimCity thinking it wasn't going to be online only, you betcha.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#23darkace77450Posted 4/17/2013 1:22:07 PM
BEAMS_ae86 posted...
I Like Toast posted...
I wasn't naive enough to buy the game expecting the servers to be up forever.

It's a commonly used tactic for EA suppoers/viral marketers to blame the customer for having "expectations" when EA's game fail to deliver.
#24darkace77450Posted 4/17/2013 1:23:00 PM
BEAMS_ae86 posted...
Mass effect 3 multiplayer is shutted down this year also. game was just released 13 months ago. No one mentioning that?

Is it? That didn't last long, lol.
#25SlyClone2kPosted 4/17/2013 1:41:41 PM
I Like Toast posted...

Given you think that this would be renting in the first place, yup.

Mass effect 3 multiplayer is shutted down this year also

well their is the part where they are still up right this very second.

If bought SimCity thinking it wasn't going to be online only, you betcha.

Thats sweet. Nice justification. Blame consumer niaivety (sp) and not the opportunism / cynical exploitation of a multi-million $ industry. After all, its not already been proven that with a little extra code they could have given offline play a chance.

You may notice that on some points I don't argue with you. And in respect of SC5s flaws I never make any comment because I cannot complain about a game I do not own (its faults are well enough documented by those who, sadly, do). I only post in the topics of the failings of EA. You cut your own throat toast. No one has to do it for you.

P.S. I bought CodBO2 when I brought a new PC after 5 years. I fancied a FPS to see what my new box could do. Actually.. although I quite like the game I didn't realise EA were the pub. I also bought Sims3 at the same time (coz I liked the original) but, simply put.. what a ****ing mistake that was and its no small contribution to my current dislike of EA. I should have learned sooner, but I'm also the sad owner of Fifa and NHL games too.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124
#26I Like ToastPosted 4/17/2013 1:55:56 PM
After all, its not already been proven that with a little extra code they could have given offline play a chance.

sure, if you consider not being able to save, no regional simulation, no regional interaction, no global market, as 'playing'.

Nice justification

And where did I justify anything? Do you know what the word means or did it have to many syllables for you?

but stick to the nonsensical hyperbole that is the rest of your post. Let me know when you have a point.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#27Bossdog421Posted 4/17/2013 7:27:20 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
LordPoncho posted...

This would have to do with the new CEO. This happens with any company taking on a new CEO. Staff gets laid off, new staff gets hires. Products fhat aren't deemed secure get cut while potential gains are strengthened.

This would have happened to anyone.

And Larry Probst stepped in. This was public information.

No it doesn't.

This happens to a company that's threading water and needs something to jack up it's figures for their next investor call.
The firings didn't just happen after Riccitiello stepped down, they've been happening for months. Ever since Dead Space 3 and Army of Two reboot failed to deliver.

Even Forbes agrees on this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/04/15/anti-social-behavior-ea-closes-sim-city-sims-social-limits-facebook-exposure/

All of these decisions, of course, are taking place in the context of EAs impending Q4 and full year results, which are expected to be at the bottom end of or below EAs guidance.

Larry Probst is the interim-CEO, not the new CEO.
An interim CEO isn't going to make major adjustments right before someone else takes over.

People need to learn what a contributor is... right from that page

The author is a Forbes contributor. The opinions expressed are those of the writer.

This is not forbes opinion
#28Laylow12Posted 4/17/2013 7:49:57 PM
Bossdog421 posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
LordPoncho posted...

This would have to do with the new CEO. This happens with any company taking on a new CEO. Staff gets laid off, new staff gets hires. Products fhat aren't deemed secure get cut while potential gains are strengthened.

This would have happened to anyone.

And Larry Probst stepped in. This was public information.

No it doesn't.

This happens to a company that's threading water and needs something to jack up it's figures for their next investor call.
The firings didn't just happen after Riccitiello stepped down, they've been happening for months. Ever since Dead Space 3 and Army of Two reboot failed to deliver.

Even Forbes agrees on this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/04/15/anti-social-behavior-ea-closes-sim-city-sims-social-limits-facebook-exposure/

All of these decisions, of course, are taking place in the context of EAs impending Q4 and full year results, which are expected to be at the bottom end of or below EAs guidance.

Larry Probst is the interim-CEO, not the new CEO.
An interim CEO isn't going to make major adjustments right before someone else takes over.

People need to learn what a contributor is... right from that page

The author is a Forbes contributor. The opinions expressed are those of the writer.

This is not forbes opinion

That's what you have to say in defense of EA? He's not Forbes, he's merely someone that writes an article in Forbes magazine. You know that EA has destroyed Sim City and that's what you come back with?

I don't think EA is getting their monies worth with you guys, they should increase the budget and hire some better shills/hucksters.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#29SlyClone2kPosted 4/17/2013 11:37:59 PM
"If bought SimCity thinking it wasn't going to be online only, you betcha."

Because yes, if you don't have your saves and a way of storing your game then you're renting it. Just like people are renting Warcraft, GW2 etc. Entirely at the mercy of the continuity of service means you're renting something. (to grant the possession and enjoyment of (property, machinery, etc.) in return for the payment of rent from the lessee.

In this case, your save games and their servers. That justification.

I also said give offline play a chance. You don't think people could have hosted their own servers, saved to their own PCs, calculated their own splines?

There's no need to insult me, my grasp of the English language is capable enough that I use the words I intend. I don't feel there was a great deal of hyperbole [sic] or exaggeration in my reply.

Thanks for the discussion though Toast, your position is abundantly clear. The only thing I don't understand is why you are so defensive.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124
#30BEAMS_ae86Posted 4/18/2013 12:04:07 AM
SlyClone2k posted...
[sic].

big money
---
I arrive your screen from the neighbourwifi...thanks, god bless..you...