EA doesn't shut down games that have to be played online

#31SoulTrapperPosted 4/18/2013 4:34:31 AM
Bossdog421 posted...
SoulTrapper posted...

No it doesn't.

This happens to a company that's threading water and needs something to jack up it's figures for their next investor call.
The firings didn't just happen after Riccitiello stepped down, they've been happening for months. Ever since Dead Space 3 and Army of Two reboot failed to deliver.

Even Forbes agrees on this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/04/15/anti-social-behavior-ea-closes-sim-city-sims-social-limits-facebook-exposure/

All of these decisions, of course, are taking place in the context of EAs impending Q4 and full year results, which are expected to be at the bottom end of or below EAs guidance.

Larry Probst is the interim-CEO, not the new CEO.
An interim CEO isn't going to make major adjustments right before someone else takes over.

People need to learn what a contributor is... right from that page

The author is a Forbes contributor. The opinions expressed are those of the writer.

This is not forbes opinion

That doesn't change anything about the situation EA is in: financial trouble.

Claiming that they're closing down studios and firing people because they're changing direction (despite not having a CEO at this time, Probst is interim-CEO) is just silly.

They're closing and firing because they need to jack up their numbers for the investor call, which as they already said, will be bad.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#32I Like ToastPosted 4/18/2013 6:13:40 AM
You don't think people could have hosted their own servers, saved to their own PCs, calculated their own splines?

Yup and they could do it for gw2 as well, where is your topic there crying about it?

Don't want an online only SimCity, don't buy SimCity. it's an extremely simple concept.

There's no need to insult me

No, you do a plenty good job of it yourself.

The only thing I don't understand is why you are so defensive.

Maybe because you don't know what words over 3 syllables mean.

I haven't once defended the decision to be online only, i've stated I've accepted it. As evidence by me spending my money for the game. I didn't buy the game hoping it would be something else. I didn't spend money on an online only game thinking that it would make EA think online only wasn't a profitable business decision.

I knew what I bought, did you?
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#33SlyClone2kPosted 4/18/2013 8:19:15 AM
Bit of a difference between an always on, persistent world like GW2 or WoW and the always online requirements behind Simcity.

That is to say, correct me if I'm wrong, but the cities that exist in a region continue to be available for trade / resources whether the person playing the city next to you is playing or not?

However you're absolutely right, people have a choice not to buy something.
I reserve the right to highlight and comment on EA's behaviour toward the always online section of its games.

Finally, I'm not sure why you think saying I don't know how to use 3+ syllable words is at all necessary. I guess I must have personally upset you somewhere along the way. But that's okay. I like you, so I forgive you.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124
#34I Like ToastPosted 4/18/2013 8:25:02 AM
Bit of a difference between an always on, persistent world like GW2 or WoW and the always online requirements behind Simcity.

both can be done offline if they so choose, both didn't make that decision.

That is to say, correct me if I'm wrong, but the cities that exist in a region continue to be available for trade / resources whether the person playing the city next to you is playing or not?

So just like in an MMO? i can still go to the auction house and buy items they're selling. I can still add them to my friends list. I can still mail them a message. I can still see who is offline or online. And even in some mmo's, i can still check their gear.

The only difference between them, is you accept one and not the other. Both could be offline, both aren't. No matter if it would be easier to support an offline simcity or not.

Finally, I'm not sure why you think saying I don't know how to use 3+ syllable words is at all necessary. I

Because you continue to show you're unable of understanding the meaning of them.

guess I must have personally upset you somewhere along the way.

Nope, unlike you I don't get upset over the internet. Nor do I get upset over a video game company doing what they choose to do with their product. It's either worth my money or it isn't.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#35rowgue34Posted 4/18/2013 9:03:14 AM
Lol clealy trolling. Nobody could possibly be as stupid as this clown.
#36SlyClone2kPosted 4/18/2013 9:32:16 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#37oooooooo_toastyPosted 4/18/2013 6:54:11 PM
Bikes- posted...
I Like Toast posted...
because f2p facebook games are comparable in any way shape or form to games with an upfront cost.

but you keep being a good conspiracy theorist.

You can spend more money on a F2P game potentially soo....yes, yes is.

Potentially =/= definitely. Just telling you because you don't seem to be aware of that fact.
---
"wtf is a sephiroth" - scarecrowshand
'I've been on this board about one day and you're already pissing me off' - tranquilizerrr to Xeeh_Bitz