So now the DLC plan has expanded to buying toothpaste in real life?!?!

#31SSJ2__GohanPosted 4/17/2013 3:41:14 PM
2009 - Changes to Battlefield Heroes in 2009 ensured that players essentially have to open their wallets to get better guns if they want to remain competitive.

You forgot the most important thing there: EA advertised this game as not selling advantages. In other words: bait and switch. They first lured many players in that wouldn't have tried BFH otherwise, and lured many players to buy cosmetics who otherwise would've saved their money for weapons.
#32thebeaslePosted 4/19/2013 12:09:35 AM
MoxRavager posted...
Bossdog421 posted...
Wow haters on this board are kind of sad. They obviously know nothing of marketing or running a business.

Businesses can not make everyone happy, businesses try to make money. Businesses will try to appeal to the masses, the fact that a few hardcores get upset with some decisions does not hurt them.

This game is a success, QQ more

13: Provisional (4)
New account with less than 3 karma. Can post 3 topics, 30 messages per day (15 per hour)

Good catch. EA marketers really are funny at this point.
#33Dimon101Posted 4/19/2013 2:26:22 PM
Could you add this to the list also as i believe they deserve spots on it:

2011: EA cuts all support for The Sims 1 (the original game) thus cutting off it's own hand as this game sold over 10 million copies and still sell today on various websites.

2012: EA stops support for the Sims 2. Want the EA only items you could download from their exchange? Too bad! No longer supported

Note sure when this happened, but ill add it too

XXXX: EA shuts down online creations and support for Simcity 4. You can no longer download items from the exchange page..instead it leads to an advertisement for Simcity 5. Trying to make your fans buy the newest version?
---
"What's with the Hand-Nose thing?" ~ Wein Cruz talking about Hans from Growlanser Generations
#34Twinrova225Posted 4/19/2013 2:46:36 PM(edited)
2002 - EA pushes for long-running strategy series Command and Conquer to be made into an FPS for some reason, resulting in Command And Conquer: Renegade. When the game bombed, EA shut down Westwood Studios.

Renegade didn't bomb, unless you consider average review scores of %75~ to be terrible. The game itself was actually pretty decent, and the multiplayer was considered to be pretty good and innovative, with a nice mix of strategy and shooting. I can't find any info on the sales, but everyone who played it would say it was fairly good.

2012 - EA forces BioWare (along with the rest of the studios under their umbrella) to integrate multiplayer into Mass Effect 3. Despite promises that this move would not affect those solely interested in the single player campaign, the best ending (the only ending in which the main character survives) was only obtainable by those who participated in multiplayer.

This is just untrue. As a fellow shiver me timbers player, I can tell you that you did not need to play multiplayer at all for the "best" ending (if you could call it that). It still sucked. But it's false that you needed to play it to get the best ending.

Oh, and like Renegade, a lot of people actually found the multiplayer to be really enjoyable.
---
"Cid is badass. He's old and still crackin'. He can fight underwater with a lit cigarette in his mouth. He drinks the goddamn tea." -Gaming_Mastery
#35darkace77450Posted 4/19/2013 3:06:50 PM
Twinrova225 posted...
This is just untrue. As a fellow shiver me timbers player, I can tell you that you did not need to play multiplayer at all for the "best" ending (if you could call it that). It still sucked. But it's false that you needed to play it to get the best ending.

It is irrefutably true that the only way to get the ending mentioned in the spoiler block was by playing MP. At release there were not enough assets in the single player campaign* to achieve that ending, making it absolutely impossible to achieve without playing MP. And that is something BioWare promised would not be the case.

* I'm sure this is no longer the case now that several SP DLCs have been released, but that doesn't change the fact that BioWare lied about something EA made them tack onto their game.

Twinrova225 posted...
Oh, and like Renegade, a lot of people actually found the multiplayer to be really enjoyable.

That is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. I don't care that you, or anyone else, enjoyed Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. I care that BioWare lied when they promised customers they'd the best ending would be possible without playing multiplayer.
#36krillensPosted 4/19/2013 4:16:22 PM
did you not get what you paid for?

you knew it was DRM, so dont cry about buying it

yes, it had its bugs, but that is being fixed... this happens with ALL online games

so you are going to cry when a BUSINESS makes NEW PRODUCTS and DOESNT OFFER IT FOR FREE? cry more

oh.. and i got a free copy of need for speed

cant wait to try my new toothpaste
#37SedatedPosted 4/19/2013 4:24:46 PM
krillens posted...

yes, it had its bugs, but that is being fixed... this happens with ALL online games

so you are going to cry when a BUSINESS makes NEW PRODUCTS and DOESNT OFFER IT FOR FREE? cry more

BAaAAAHHHhHhH
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#38krillensPosted 4/19/2013 4:25:49 PM
Sedated posted...
krillens posted...

BAaAAAHHHhHhH

defenseless troll ftw
#39SedatedPosted 4/19/2013 5:18:12 PM
krillens posted...
Sedated posted...
krillens posted...

BAaAAAHHHhHhH

defenseless troll ftw

Shill that fool no one ftl.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#40Twinrova225Posted 4/19/2013 7:34:15 PM
darkace77450 posted...
Twinrova225 posted...

It is irrefutably true that the only way to get the ending mentioned in the spoiler block was by playing MP. At release there were not enough assets in the single player campaign* to achieve that ending, making it absolutely impossible to achieve without playing MP. And that is something BioWare promised would not be the case.

* I'm sure this is no longer the case now that several SP DLCs have been released, but that doesn't change the fact that BioWare lied about something EA made them tack onto their game.

Twinrova225 posted...

That is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. I don't care that you, or anyone else, enjoyed Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. I care that BioWare lied when they promised customers they'd the best ending would be possible without playing multiplayer.

No, it is not "irrefutably true". You just needed to do enough side quests. Bioware themselves pointed it out, as did a number of people on its own gamefaqs board. I played the game and completed all but maybe one or two side quests, because I moved on from a point where they could no longer be completed. I got the best ending. This was before any DLC outside of mini-DLC multplayer packs came out.

Nobody lied about the endings. They sucked, but you did not need to play multiplayer. As I said, I was a shive rme timbers player (if you're too thickheaded to get that, it means I pirated it). Therefore, no multiplayer for me. And yet, I got the "best ending".
---
"Cid is badass. He's old and still crackin'. He can fight underwater with a lit cigarette in his mouth. He drinks the goddamn tea." -Gaming_Mastery