Would you buy DLC for Simcity in its current state?

#31LordPonchoPosted 4/22/2013 2:36:12 PM
DraconisRex posted...
LordPoncho posted...

It definitely wasn't to prevent mods if mod tools have been planned to be released ever since the online only was announced. Use some common sense.

lol. You've never modded obviously. One of the things we did in the modding community was to build mod tools.

Eventually SOME developers included them. But mostly we built our own tools or found other ways. Heck, I remember when we used to ASCII text-editors to mod games... Of course, that was in the DOS 3.1 days...

Like here:

Hackers open up offline play, modding tools for SimCity

EA and Maxis' claim that it would take "significant engineering work" to make a workable offline version of SimCity took another hit today. Hackers have released modding tools that disable the game's periodic server checks without breaking the simulation. The tools also unlock other features not in the final game.

reddit is abuzz with news and guides for installing the SimCityPak, a downloadable package of files that lets players edit many elements of the UI and underlying game logic. The tools aren't incredibly user-friendly for the time being, but those with some Javascript experience and patience to learn can do things like disable the online connectivity requirement, fix the "fudged" population display, and even affect how the basic simulation works in some ways.

And, of course, it was pretty easy because the game was promised to be moddable on release:

Last year, SimCity Creative and Art Director Ocean Quigley said the game was being "built to be moddable" at a GDC panel. He reaffirmed that stance in a tweet just last month, indicating modded package files would be allowed (but maybe not directly supported) once the game was released. Given the potential for menace on public servers being quickly unlocked by players, however, this stance may not last.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/hackers-open-up-offline-play-modding-tools-for-simcity/

But even games not designed to be moddable, or come with handy mod tools, have been modded. Because, like said, we built our own tools.

So, with SimCity so far... Crappy DLC full of advertising. And no 'official' way to mod the game or a toolset useful for modding the game. DESPITE the promises.

Nice baseless assumption that couldn't be any further from correct.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#32I Like ToastPosted 4/22/2013 3:00:12 PM
Crappy DLC full of advertising

there are 9 pieces of dlc if you count the 3 Digital deluxe sets.

One of the 9 has a logo on it, and you'll only see if if you zoom all the way in.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
MGS 5 Officially Confirmed
#33darkace77450Posted 4/22/2013 3:05:36 PM
I Like Toast posted...
Crappy DLC full of advertising

there are 9 pieces of dlc if you count the 3 Digital deluxe sets.

One of the 9 has a logo on it, and you'll only see if if you zoom all the way in.

It also adds nothing to the game - literally nothing - other than the option to plop a different looking park and that logo.
#34colstripcapnPosted 4/23/2013 9:41:41 AM
Bossdog421 posted...
I don't buy DLC, ever. It's the worst thing that has ever happened to gaming.

I feel the same.

I'm happy to say I've never bought any DLC, the only kind that I have has been free or bundled with the game purchase itself (like the Borderlands Game of the Year edition).

I'd easily pay $80 for new games, than pay $60 and another $40+ in additional DLC.