Nice one EA, Again.

#11rikvanoostendePosted 4/27/2013 7:40:54 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
JBDevin posted...

i just wonder when it became acceptable to release video games that were only half finished. By my accounts, this is not the first of its kind. I am sure others can back me up on this as well.

Just an example of a "triple A" game (which i loved regardless btw) AC 3 anyone?? This generation of game companies, in my opinion, is complete garbage. Indie games have provided me with more 'complete', AND more 'fulfilling' games than most triple A game companies have provided within this past decade. ex FTL

In my opinion, this generation has become lazy and complacent with all aspects of life. (world recession/depression) It shows throughout all aspects of life. I am not surprised that it has seeped into my favorite pass time. What i strongly believe though is, if any company wants to release half of a product, (which includes having 20 different PAYABLE dlc content) then we should only have to pay half the price, if not even less!! (this includes you Microsoft for having to pay for ONLINE PLAY GRRRRR)

Money is hard to come by no matter your occupation. Corporations need to stop being greedy and start being realistic. If they continue then they will have (complete pun intended) No Shoppers! Closing! (thanks SC)

Video games are still seen as a hobby mostly for children and "nerds" by the majority of people and this allows the industry to get away with stuff like this "because it's just some entitled (man)child behind his PC. It's not a real issue."

And this is something done by both publishers AND video game "journalists", which only makes it worse.

If any other company in almost any other industry would pull crap like this, people would be take it seriously, but it's "just a video game".

Good example of this is just a few weeks ago, when EA won the worst company award for the second year in a row.
People were tripping over each other to call anyone who voted for EA a "manchild who didn't know about the real world and probably never had a bankaccount or a job".

EA isn't the worst company in America, by far.
But that wasn't the point of the award, the point was to send a message to EA.
The message that people don't agree with their current business tactics and that they want them to change.

The fact that pretty much everyone was so quick to lash out at people voting for EA, despite it being their legitimate opinion, shows exactly how they think about people complaining about the current state of the industry.

No one takes complaints about video games seriously and we owe it all to publishers and "video game journalism".

Good point, why are we taking it so seriously? It might be our hobby that we spend a lot of money on, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really seem worth the trouble to complain about.

Maybe it should be just like going to the movies: if the trailer gave it a wholly different impression than the actual film, most just walk away and don't care they just blew ten bucks. You just don't come back for the sequels, right?

And if you go to a restaurant, and the meal or service isn't what you expected in terms of quality, are you going to call and complain at that restaurant every single day or are you going to avoid it next time?

Just stop buying their games. If not to collectively boyott EA, then just to save yourself the frustration and 60 bucks.
---
Let's agree to disagree.
#12JBDevinPosted 4/27/2013 7:56:30 AM
thats the problem though. the industry will only get worse with the mentality of, oh well! spending a little bit of cash on a dinner/movie/whatever and its not to you expectation then that is when people complain get new food, sequals do not get made, and a store having to live up to its 'the customer is always right' slogan.

not only is $60 a fairly large number for a half cooked game, but having another $60-$80 in dlc? call me crazy but thats just effin stupid. thought so from the beginning. The true cream of the crop video games went to the crapper when they added internet.
#13SoulTrapperPosted 4/27/2013 8:00:44 AM
rikvanoostende posted...

Good point, why are we taking it so seriously? It might be our hobby that we spend a lot of money on, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really seem worth the trouble to complain about.

Maybe it should be just like going to the movies: if the trailer gave it a wholly different impression than the actual film, most just walk away and don't care they just blew ten bucks. You just don't come back for the sequels, right?

And if you go to a restaurant, and the meal or service isn't what you expected in terms of quality, are you going to call and complain at that restaurant every single day or are you going to avoid it next time?

Just stop buying their games. If not to collectively boyott EA, then just to save yourself the frustration and 60 bucks.

People take it seriously if their football team under performs as well, even though it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Problem with this, is that if people start accepting this as standard, it will keep happening and might even get worse (just look at expansions, which have now evolved into day-1 disc locked DLC and microtransactions).

I am boycotting EA games, because I think customers deserve a much higher quality product.

But I don't stop at that: I also make sure that others who might not know that this is becoming the standard for EA games, or that don't even know this is an EA game, know about this and think twice in the future when buying a video game.

If I go to a restaurant and the quality is sub-par, I tell my friends and I go to food critic websites to write a review.
All in the hopes that the restaurant owner will realize that he's not doing a good job and needs to start producing higher quality food.

In this case ( the worst company award), the owner responded to the criticism by calling me a homophobe for writing the bad review because one of his waiters was gay, even though my bad review had nothing to do with that or he claims I wrote the bad review because I didn't like the new handwriting on the plate outside.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#14rikvanoostendePosted 4/27/2013 1:17:24 PM
Point taken.
---
Let's agree to disagree.
#15AntorPosted 4/28/2013 8:38:50 PM
Nenina posted...
It will continue until gamers mass sue and win. When that happens, I don't know when but Peter Moore looks like a rat with a goatee smirking on wikipedia, that's why.

You can't sue over this. That's like trying to sue me for selling you rat ****. The judge will through out the case and tell you it's your own fault for buying rat ****.

What needs to happen is people need to STOP buying, a boycott of sorts if you like, companies like EA who release endless amounts of garbage, but that will never happen. People are much happier complaining than doing anything about what they are complaining about.
---
This ain't Sea World, this is real as it gets!
#16xoxide124Posted 4/28/2013 8:51:40 PM
JBDevin posted...
FrostDancer289 posted...
Krio Lv3 posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
It's your own fault for expecting a game to function properly more then a month after purchase!

... It kinda should.

SoulTrapper is being sarcastic.

i just wonder when it became acceptable to release video games that were only half finished. By my accounts, this is not the first of its kind. I am sure others can back me up on this as well.

Just an example of a "triple A" game (which i loved regardless btw) AC 3 anyone?? This generation of game companies, in my opinion, is complete garbage. Indie games have provided me with more 'complete', AND more 'fulfilling' games than most triple A game companies have provided within this past decade. ex FTL

In my opinion, this generation has become lazy and complacent with all aspects of life. (world recession/depression) It shows throughout all aspects of life. I am not surprised that it has seeped into my favorite pass time. What i strongly believe though is, if any company wants to release half of a product, (which includes having 20 different PAYABLE dlc content) then we should only have to pay half the price, if not even less!! (this includes you Microsoft for having to pay for ONLINE PLAY GRRRRR)

Money is hard to come by no matter your occupation. Corporations need to stop being greedy and start being realistic. If they continue then they will have (complete pun intended) No Shoppers! Closing! (thanks SC)

one could argue that nothing / no art, game, program, os, software or even physical works of music and are are ever finished when presented

but no matter what.. many things could have been done to have prevented this if time had been given and used correctly..

since this did not happen.. we are left with what we have currently.. its not perfect nor is it what we expected, however its also not abandoned by the developers. Time will tell although many have no patience and want it at launch which didn't again happen bringing us to where we are..

no reasons? to many but nearly nothing we can actually say is 100% true or validated by a good authority at ea or maxis.

its frustrating but we are and have what what we have.. .. i know there are 10 answers you will get from various people.. so draw your own conclusion
#17AntorPosted 4/28/2013 9:54:05 PM
xoxide124 posted...
one could argue that nothing / no art, game, program, os, software or even physical works of music and are are ever finished when presented

Who could possibly make that arguement? Movies are nearly ALWAYS a finished product. Music, dating back well past Beethoven has been a completed product. Except in cases of incomplete works released towards the end of artists life. The Mona Lisa and nearly if not ALL art work in the Louvre is a finished product. Games like Civilization V, GTA, etc etc etc, all complete and finished products.

So what the hell are you talking about?!
---
This ain't Sea World, this is real as it gets!
#18clowningPosted 4/28/2013 10:22:57 PM
Antor posted...
xoxide124 posted...

Who could possibly make that arguement? Movies are nearly ALWAYS a finished product. Music, dating back well past Beethoven has been a completed product. Except in cases of incomplete works released towards the end of artists life. The Mona Lisa and nearly if not ALL art work in the Louvre is a finished product. Games like Civilization V, GTA, etc etc etc, all complete and finished products.

So what the hell are you talking about?!

I think it's obvious what he's saying. At some point, you just have to finish your work. You could say "I could fix this, I could change that, I could tweak this..." but at some point, you just have to call it done and push it out the door.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#19rikvanoostendePosted 4/29/2013 3:37:03 AM
Speaking of art, game developers are artists and encounter the artists dilemma: "Do I want to make an excellent quality, unique product that'll turn a few heads, or do I want to Bob Ross out lots of decent pieces that'll sell well to the average person?" One could argue that the artist has an obligation to his current and future fans, but while those fans expect the former, this 'obligation' leads to the latter.

I say that game developers and all other artists should stop making sequels! No more dealing with their fans' comparisons, nostalgia and expectations! Because it seems like game developers these days think that because they stick a familiar title on a new game, they can compromise on qualtiy because it will sell anyway.
---
Let's agree to disagree.
#20whitelytningPosted 4/29/2013 6:46:31 AM
It will continue until people stop buying game at release. The only way to find out if a game is good or not now is to wait until other people have actually played it. D3 and SimCity were both terrible games at release but because so many people pre-ordered/purchased right away they were both largely successful. This is only going to stop when the EA and Activision stop breaking sales records by publishing bad games. You can point fingers at lots of other things but it comes down to the consumers. If we stop buying these bad games they will stop being sold in an incomplete format.
---
http://i.imgur.com/iZdWIKJ.jpg