Still not cracked, always online works. Welcome to the future.

#61lady_hazelbluePosted 5/6/2013 6:41:21 PM
you have to wonder, though, is this game so bad, that not even real pirates want to touch it?
---
psn: hazelblue/hazelbluegirl
#62AnonUnknownPosted 5/7/2013 4:45:15 AM
lady_hazelblue posted...
you have to wonder, though, is this game so bad, that not even real pirates want to touch it?

they pirate anything that moves. hell, even Big Rigs was pirated.

but still, HAWX2 took more than 2 years, and had the same protection as other Ubisoft titles.
#63Mocking CrowPosted 5/8/2013 1:25:30 PM
KHWyvern posted...
Bossdog421 posted...
Get used to it!

Oh, we'll get used to it, by not buying the games, and the game industry will die because of it.

However, I don't believe other game companies are stupid enough to implement something that's so horribly broken.

The PC game industry will die well before the game industry does, which is what tools such as yourself dont understand. Less and less "a list" pc games are being made with pc in mind to begin with. Majority are ports from games designed for consoles because developers find piracy and coding a little too much of a con for PC.

The only ones being naive here are the people who think developers should just roll over and take it, as millions of people literally steal from them. Do some developers deserve it? Sure, with overpriced DLC and rehashed content, but plenty dont. This games problems does not stem from the DRM, but from EAs penny pinching on the servers.

So you get used to not having pc games, derp.
---
Normal was defined by an arrogant or closed minded man who knew too little.
#64clowningPosted 5/8/2013 2:31:32 PM
Except console games are also pirated.

Console games have become the primary platform for game development because it's easier to code for them. They do not have as many variables as PCs, and each generation is static for several years. PCs have many different hardware and driver configurations, and see hardware upgrades every few months.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#65LordPonchoPosted 5/8/2013 10:41:40 PM
Mocking Crow posted...
KHWyvern posted...
Bossdog421 posted...
Get used to it!

Oh, we'll get used to it, by not buying the games, and the game industry will die because of it.

However, I don't believe other game companies are stupid enough to implement something that's so horribly broken.

The PC game industry will die well before the game industry does, which is what tools such as yourself dont understand. Less and less "a list" pc games are being made with pc in mind to begin with. Majority are ports from games designed for consoles because developers find piracy and coding a little too much of a con for PC.

The only ones being naive here are the people who think developers should just roll over and take it, as millions of people literally steal from them. Do some developers deserve it? Sure, with overpriced DLC and rehashed content, but plenty dont. This games problems does not stem from the DRM, but from EAs penny pinching on the servers.

Do console gamers truly believe this?

I mean, you'd think that experts within the industry forecasting the end of console gaming would be enough, but apparently it's not.

2005-2007, somebody may have believed you. Consoles were actually ahead of PC for once, technologywise. But consoles are declining while PC is getting more popular.DDon't be mad about it. Join the all consoles and PC master race.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#66Dark SymphonyPosted 5/9/2013 4:22:23 PM
Eh, how long have we been hearing about PCs climbing forward in the race?

I just don't see ithappening. It hasn't happened in the last two decades. As long as PCs share a dual role as a console and a workstation they likely won't. The average household simply isn't structured that way.

Mommy's not going to buy Tyler a PC for $1K to play games on and then another one for the rest of the household to use. She's going to toss a 3sizzle in his room and use the computer for Bejeweled and Kaitlin's Facebook.

Lot of bad information here. Many of it business side spun summaries of piracy.

Piracy's damage to sales is often super inflated. It's simply not that damaging. I want you to imagine someone bent on pirating SimCity. Did you imagine them buying it as well? Exactly. That person was never a sale. This isn't true in all cases but it's massively inflated.

I'm not saying piracy is cool and developers should embrace it. I'd want my money as well. But it's nowhere near to the point of implementing some of these terrible things we see that punish the actual PAYING customers while piraters hack and remove all the terrible stuff. Talk about a promotion for piracy.

Additionally console developers are scared away from the PC market not so much because of piracy but because of all the inflated stories about piracy. People need to understand that if you're a business there is very little reason not to LIE and act like the things you hate or want to take action against are the biggest problems ever.

Inflate piracy's effect on the industry. Turn your company into a helpless victim (until the next shareholder's meeting, of course) Implement a bunch of nonsense. Monetize the "issue" you have created by telling consumers they have to cover the damages because you're a victim and you're hurt by the practice.

The basic logic remains... Giant companies would not engage in a market as volatile and unprofitable as many big companies try to make the market out to be. It just doesn't happen. Investors and shareholders aren't staying around for the crap.

You have to seriously ask yourself if the big companies are being garroted by used game sales, piracy, exorbitant development costs and needed all these band-aids just to make a profit why the F are they doing it at all? You think Sony needs that kind of crap?

No. What happens is a lot of smaller or middle-ground developers get crushed by the standards and practices created by the big dogs and those big dogs repatriate the dust from their collapse into sob stories for themselves.
#67Mocking CrowPosted 5/9/2013 8:10:45 PM
Dont read, then complain, if you dont GAS.

------

The "potential customer" argument is a flawed ambiguous argument still in the developers favor. NO ONE knows if he/she was an actual customer, but the mere fact that the person was interested enough in pirating it suggest he/she would be.

As for consoles being pirated, no one said they dont, but its a much bigger hassle than what is required on the PC. Im also not saying certain developers dont deserve it either, cause I absolutely HATE EA, but the below examples dont deserve it :\

Two examples of small developers.

I always have to refer back to CD Projekt Red, the developers of Witcher 2. Witcher 2 was pirated, an ESTIMATED(not exact) 4.5 million times in the first year of release. A single player only game, which IMO, was an awesome game, was pirated more than SC2(which was 3 million I believe). The devs put little to no stock in DRMs, and guess how they felt afterwards? Betrayed by their fans. They tried tracking down some of those people, threatening them with lawsuits etc because they NEED the money, and then the were castrated by the player base, calling them thieves, bullies, etc, forcing them to back off the lawsuits.

Trendy Entertainment took another route for Dungeon Defenders, a game that started off VERY promising, by separating the content updates for offline/lan by a month or two, but low and behold, the impatient offline only crowd(and POTENTIAL PIRATES) cried tears of blood.

Examples of other DRM methods which got companies yelled at...

Batman Arkham Asylums DRM did great for about a month or 2, but at the cost of being a giant hassle for its legit players who had saves deleted, and severe glitches due to problems with the .exe not being recognized during playtime or some such.

Diablo 3 actually pulled off the Server Side Data with only a hiccup at the first 24 hours(shocking!) and majority still cry about its DRM in part because of those first 24 hours. Little to no downtime, hasnt been pirated yet, but RMAH was and is a bad idea.

Speaking of RMAH, thats another thing developers are started to utilize, is free to play games and micro transaction games which is a double whamy in fighting piracy and getting players to pay more for a bunch of little things rather than a large game. Marvel Heroes, dungeon defenders, or DC Universe come to mind.

Now back to CD Projekt Red; At the announcement of PS4, they were one of the first developers I saw to jump on it, stating they would develop a game on whatever system is easiest and best shows off their game. Well since you dont have to optimize console games for different vid cards, sound cards, motherboards, and the lot, its already a huge plus for them; but PS4 also looks amazing.

Now, I love my PC(my $1200 PC), and havent plugged my 360 in now for almost a year, but PC gaming is DYING. Its 100% debateable, but when half the major titles that come out are ports from the consoles(half of THOSE being terribly optimized) and those developers explaining the reason for the port is because PC is just back of the bus tells me that developers generally dont care about PC. Even blizzard shocked and disappointed millions by announcing.... DIABLO 3!!!!! for PS3............................ Then you have the economy and as someone stated, price for a PC vs a console.

Then you have the ungrateful gamers who use the PC, who want to play the games, and not pay for them. You have to be kidding yourself if you think even HALF of the 3 million people who pirated SC2 wouldnt have bought it(full price) if they had no means to pirate it. If simcity had no MP and no DRM, can promise you it would have been 2 million less sales AT LEAST.
---
Normal was defined by an arrogant or closed minded man who knew too little.
#68SoulTrapperPosted 5/10/2013 2:10:38 AM
Mocking Crow posted...

I always have to refer back to CD Projekt Red, the developers of Witcher 2. Witcher 2 was pirated, an ESTIMATED(not exact) 4.5 million times in the first year of release. A single player only game, which IMO, was an awesome game, was pirated more than SC2(which was 3 million I believe). The devs put little to no stock in DRMs, and guess how they felt afterwards? Betrayed by their fans. They tried tracking down some of those people, threatening them with lawsuits etc because they NEED the money, and then the were castrated by the player base, calling them thieves, bullies, etc, forcing them to back off the lawsuits.

And despite the 4.5 million pirated copies, the game still sold 5 million copies on PC alone, which better then this one even, despite this game not being piratable.

You're also forgetting to include what CDProjekt themselves said about DRM:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/good-old-games-sounds-anti-drm-clarion-call-6344711

Rambourg said DRM serves to make publishers feel secure but actually does the opposite. It alienates customers and drives them into the arms of pirates. It would be a better and more successful strategy to get rid of the DRM, keep things simple, and actually work with customers to offer them a better solution, he said.

So despite the 4.5 million pirated copies, they still don't support DRM.

Now, I love my PC(my $1200 PC)

Fact that you use the price tag instead of the actual specs, indicates it's a BestBuy PC and makes you're entire "pc gaming is dying" argument redundant.

, and havent plugged my 360 in now for almost a year, but PC gaming is DYING. Its 100% debateable, but when half the major titles that come out are ports from the consoles(half of THOSE being terribly optimized) and those developers explaining the reason for the port is because PC is just back of the bus tells me that developers generally dont care about PC. Even blizzard shocked and disappointed millions by announcing.... DIABLO 3!!!!! for PS3............................ Then you have the economy and as someone stated, price for a PC vs a console.

The ports are made because it's easier to make a game on 5 year old hardware and slightly improve it (if they even bother) for PC, then to make a good game for PC and having to scale it down for consoles.
It would also enrage console kiddies because their game doesn't look as good.

Here's a fact proving you dead wrong: Steam sales have doubled every year for the last 7 years up till 2011:

http://www.slashgear.com/steam-sales-double-again-06206992/

Meanwhile, console game sales have been going down.

PC isn't dying by a long shot, neither are consoles.

Then you have the ungrateful gamers who use the PC, who want to play the games, and not pay for them. You have to be kidding yourself if you think even HALF of the 3 million people who pirated SC2 wouldnt have bought it(full price) if they had no means to pirate it. If simcity had no MP and no DRM, can promise you it would have been 2 million less sales AT LEAST.

People are supposed to be grateful to companies?
Companies are supposed to be grateful people want to buy their games and should do everything they can in order to sell those games.

On top of that: not everyone thinks every game is worth $60. This game is a prime example of that.
A lot of people pirate a game as a form of demo and choose to buy it, depending on when it goes on sale and what they think it's worth, later.

Simcity didn't reach 2 million sales, as far as I know 1.6 mil is the latest number announced.
And your claim is proven wrong by the amount of copies of the Witcher 2 sold compared to number pirated.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#69AnonUnknownPosted 5/10/2013 4:05:41 AM(edited)
the funniest thing of Dungeon Defenders is that one of the developers was registered at a famous, now-closed private torrent tracker.
#70LordPonchoPosted 5/10/2013 4:26:34 AM
Never thought I would agree with Soul.

O.o.

But really, there's a reason Sony chose an x86 architecture. There's some games on PC that they want. And by doing so, PC will be getting some games from consoles that haven't happened. And really, that's rare.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800