Ok, Seriously. Shut the **** up about Germs.

#1DalkinPosted 4/28/2013 2:06:07 AM
Its annoying how every time I make a city - Almost instantly everyone is complaining about germs, germs and more germs! Like, Jesus Christ, let me at least set up a fire station first so that the whole city doesn't just instantly burn down to the ground as its prone to do! But no. It's never anything else that they want - just germs all the time in every single city no matter what I do. It's really old now and Its frustrating because there doesn't seem to be a solution for it. I feel like I'm not in control of my cities and that's not good game design. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or its a glitch. Probably a glitch considering everything else.

- Germs even if I build my industrial zone about 100 miles away from residential in a corner so that the wind carries it away from my city and never into the city. I made a new region in Titan Gorge, and chose the flattest most desolate map with the wind directing facing the highway (forget the name... M. Plains or something?) Put my residential on one side of the highway and industrial all the way on the other side. They couldn't possibly be any further apart! Guess what? Germs.

- Germs even though my water is 100 miles away from my industrial... With my residential.

- This is VERY early into the game. I took out bonds as early as I could to build parks, waste disposal, clinics and an elementary when I had a population of about 1k-2k. So there are facilities to prevent this crap... And guess what? STILL GERMS!

- 100% of the time Germs are caused by the residents own air pollution. What can I possibly do about that?? They're in school, and facilities are set up so why are they polluting themselves so quickly? I can't possibly get the elementary, garbage disposal and clinic up and running any earlier. Its not like this is Starcraft 2 where I should be doing 100 APM (or is it?). Germs seemingly come into effect before I can reasonably take precautionary steps to avoid them.

- Germs... GERMS!! GEEEERRRRMMMSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is this? A glitch? Because I don't even know anymore. I even tried to make a "green city" with no pollution in sand box... I even Turned OFF air pollution via cheat so that air pollution shouldn't be possible and sure enough - everyone in the whole city shows up at city hall to protest about germs - again, they're the ones causing it.

Whats especially annoying is that the very first city I made has no such problem... Eventually. Because I was an idiot and built the water tower right next to the sewage and put industrial zones directly across from residential zones with the wind direction blowing into the city. I corrected all of these things and the germs went away, just like that. It was like magic to be honest.

But now, it seems to me that the germs are here to stay.

And finally, I'm sick of it being called "germs." The first time around I build a boat load of clinics before I realized that "germs" were not referring to pathogens but rather pollution.
I wish Maxis wold use language that everybody understands so that I didn't have to look up a guide in the first place just to figure out what **** everyone was *****ing about.
---
-This post is in no way shape or form a TOS violation-
#2clowningPosted 4/28/2013 11:13:51 AM
In the West today, USA and Europe, people complain about everything and expect the government to fix it. So...Maxis got something right, at least.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#3rikvanoostendePosted 4/28/2013 1:01:20 PM
The factories run on burning mice poo, mites and cockroaches that's why you only need coal or oil for power plants and that's why they spread 'biological' pollution.
---
Let's agree to disagree.
#4ITPalgPosted 4/28/2013 2:07:55 PM
Clearly you have no idea about this part of the game.

Education and health care:

Read the description of modules, including the hospital and (if I remember correctly) certain educational modules.
#5playingforfunPosted 4/28/2013 7:00:04 PM
School of medicine on University will reduce germs straight up just for existing. Hospital has a module that sends health inspectors or something that reduce germs as well.
#6AntorPosted 4/28/2013 8:32:46 PM
This game sounds like heaps of fun!
---
This ain't Sea World, this is real as it gets!
#7Dalkin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 9:59:52 PM(edited)
ITPalg posted...
Clearly you have no idea about this part of the game.

Education and health care:

Read the description of modules, including the hospital and (if I remember correctly) certain educational modules.

playingforfun posted...
School of medicine on University will reduce germs straight up just for existing. Hospital has a module that sends health inspectors or something that reduce germs as well.

Okay. Yeah.

My "city" is between 1k and less than 2k population. It is literally less than 30 minutes into a brand new game with no other cities in the region. It is not viable/possible to build anything other then an elementary and a clinic at that point.

In fact, its hardly viable as it is to build a garbage facility, clinic and elementary at this point,
---
-This post is in no way shape or form a TOS violation-
#8NoOneReallyCaresPosted 4/29/2013 12:11:52 AM(edited)
Oh, it seems that there are other folks complaining about this as well. I have not started a new city since the patch (cause I have not got around to starting over since my gambling city is still rather bad) so I was not aware of this. Apparently it is a *new* bug introduced by the 2.0 patch... good times.
#9poweryogaPosted 5/4/2013 4:38:20 PM
maybe you should get them some lysol.
#10catsimboyPosted 5/4/2013 5:37:18 PM
I had this problem with a new city that's right on the edge of the region, the wind coming from the edge of the region (i.e. no cities upwind of mine) and I turn on the air pollution filter and I can see massive fart clouds coming from OUTSIDE the region. So forgive me if I'm ignorant of the mechanics but is that supposed to happen?