How is the game?

#1cpo335Posted 4/29/2013 8:36:16 AM
So it's the end of the semester and finals are upon us. I go back home in about a week and I'll be done with finals a little before that and I've taken an interest in SimCity. However, I've read about all the launch issues and unplayability, which has driven me away from the game. I play Civ 5 and enjoy that a lot, so I'm fascinated by SimCity (especially since one of my majors is Poli Sci). But anyways, I was wondering if this game is worth the $60 or even $80 for the deluxe edition. I don't want to waste my money as I don't have much to spend, and I play on making some other purchases this summer for RL activities. How is the state of the game now and is it worth the money?
---
"...a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock."
#2SoulTrapperPosted 4/29/2013 9:15:57 AM(edited)
In my opinion, it's worth around $20.

It's not a bad game, but not good either. The foundation is there for it becoming a good game, but it's not there yet and I'm not sure if it ever will be.

They fixed some of the bugs (not nearly all) with the latest patch, but you still run the risk of losing hours of work or even your entire city at random.

If you want a good city building game for a lower price, get Tropico 4 with it's modern times DLC or even one of the Anno games.

Or if you're fast (within the next 45 minutes) you can get simcity 4 off of steam for $5

If you can get this game for $20 or less, you could give it a try.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#3Laylow12Posted 4/29/2013 9:15:52 AM
Get a decent game that runs properly, this one is still a glitch filled mess. If you're used to the beauty that is CIV 5 this will be a huge disappointment for you.
---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#4SlyClone2kPosted 4/29/2013 12:09:35 PM
You also have the Cities XL and Cities in Motion 2 options. Probably worth looking at both of those too.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124
#5anonymous46773Posted 4/29/2013 12:43:57 PM
Just get SimCity 4 and be happy.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#6cpo335(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 1:16:04 PM
What if I can get a discount through a gift card? I have a gift card worth $30 from Best Buy. If I applied that, reducing the cost to $30, would it be worth it then? I'm watching a "Let's Play" of this game on YouTube and it looks like a lot of fun. However, the guy keeps complaining about how EA screwed over the game beyond the server fluctuations.
---
"...a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock."
#7housefishisbackPosted 4/29/2013 3:29:33 PM
No not worth it. Get Simcity 4, and be happy. So many add-ons for SC4, and a great community, quite unlike this pitiful game. I can't believe I wasted money on this.
---
LOLing Michigan since Sept 1st, 2007
"I believe the best social program is a job" -Reagan
#8Lord_VaderPosted 4/29/2013 5:58:41 PM
Yeah SimCity 4 Deluxe is much better than this game imo. It has terraforming, contiguous cities, large cities, subways, ploppable highways and modding. The only thing that this game does better is the graphics (which are too cartoony for my tastes) and building modules (which are implemented poorly since you need to plan way ahead for them). So yeah I'd highly suggest getting SimCity 4 like everyone is saying. It pretty much allows you to create any type of city you want to unlike this game. Heck right now I'm recreating New York with accurate scale and everything. Plus people have made tons of NYC buildings so I can't wait till I fill up all of Manhattan. This game however simply doesn't allow you to do things like that. If you get SimCity 4 I highly suggest downloading mods because they add a whole new layer of depth to the game. Definitely get the Network Addon Mod (NAM) since it adds a ton of new transportation options like light rail, high speed rail, new highway interchanges, etc. The best place to get mods is simtropolis.com.
---
Live long and prosper.