Ah always online is really proving to be annoying

#1ThirdDegreePosted 4/29/2013 2:03:34 PM
I took a few weeks off from even playing this game and last night my girlfriend wanted to play so I started it up. I actually enjoyed myself and was looking forward to playing it after work today. I get home from work and the Internet is down. Comcast won't be here until Wednesday. So I guess I won't play this single player game by myself that I paid for. On top of that I can't play any of my cloud saves on Xbox and most of my arcade games don't work properly without the Internet.

While not being able to play a video game is not the end of the world (I can read a book, visit with friends, watch tv or do something productive), its more the principle of the matter. I can't use something by myself that I paid for that I should be able to use by myself. It drives me nuts. I'm already annoyed with Comcast for having crap service, now Im annoyed with the people that made my game because they wanted to try to prevent people from playing their game for free.

I already can't enjoy most features I have paid for on my Xbox, but if they're planning on making all features require an Internet connection not only will I not buy their new system I will recommend every person that asks me to not buy it. And I get asked fairly often which is a better buy ps3 or 360.
---
gamertag: HndrdDollarBaby
PSN: HundrdDollarBaby
#2whitelytningPosted 4/29/2013 2:29:35 PM
You paid for it knowing that it required the internet to play. I just want to remind you of that. Yes it is annoying but if the internet didn't go out it would be working fine. Its like being upset the light you purchased doesn't work when your power goes out...

What happened that it went out?
---
http://i.imgur.com/iZdWIKJ.jpg
#3ThirdDegree(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 3:35:09 PM
Idk what happened something on comcasts end. A light bulb requires power. Playing a PC game by myself doesn't require Internet unless they make it that way. It would be like getting angry that I couldn't play multiplayer online when my Internet is down. I am upset with the poor decision though. It is my fault for not thinking this all the way through. I have learned from my mistake and will not make future online only purchases and recommend other people avoid it as well.
---
gamertag: HndrdDollarBaby
PSN: HundrdDollarBaby
#4puppyPosted 4/29/2013 5:46:43 PM
I'm really enjoying this game as well, but if this always online becomes the future of gaming, I can go without it.

It's just annoying to see "beware, no Internet connection" being constantly flashed in my face while I build a city by myself on my single player game. This happened the other day when Comcast was having difficulties. I understand the risk of not playing a game when the power goes out, but not playing because of a third party provider screwup? Lovely.

The future of gaming looks bleak.
---
You look under puppy's message.
You find a potion!
#5KHWyvernPosted 4/29/2013 7:28:25 PM(edited)
puppy posted...
I'm really enjoying this game as well, but if this always online becomes the future of gaming, I can go without it.

It's just annoying to see "beware, no Internet connection" being constantly flashed in my face while I build a city by myself on my single player game. This happened the other day when Comcast was having difficulties. I understand the risk of not playing a game when the power goes out, but not playing because of a third party provider screwup? Lovely.

The future of gaming looks bleak.

Hopefully publishers and developers will have enough sence not to do this with their games.

Hell, even Ubisoft ditched it if I'm not mistaken.
---
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock
#6stevesaycePosted 4/30/2013 1:14:30 AM
ThirdDegree posted...
I took a few weeks off from even playing this game and last night my girlfriend wanted to play so I started it up. I actually enjoyed myself and was looking forward to playing it after work today. I get home from work and the Internet is down. Comcast won't be here until Wednesday. So I guess I won't play this single player game by myself that I paid for. On top of that I can't play any of my cloud saves on Xbox and most of my arcade games don't work properly without the Internet.

While not being able to play a video game is not the end of the world (I can read a book, visit with friends, watch tv or do something productive), its more the principle of the matter. I can't use something by myself that I paid for that I should be able to use by myself. It drives me nuts. I'm already annoyed with Comcast for having crap service, now Im annoyed with the people that made my game because they wanted to try to prevent people from playing their game for free.

I already can't enjoy most features I have paid for on my Xbox, but if they're planning on making all features require an Internet connection not only will I not buy their new system I will recommend every person that asks me to not buy it. And I get asked fairly often which is a better buy ps3 or 360.

If you like simcity that much then just buy simcity 4 as a back up graphics aren't as pretty but theres way more in depth stuff on it then on the new sim city
Just my 2 cents
#7rowgue34Posted 4/30/2013 8:52:29 AM
whitelytning posted...
You paid for it knowing that it required the internet to play. I just want to remind you of that. Yes it is annoying but if the internet didn't go out it would be working fine. Its like being upset the light you purchased doesn't work when your power goes out...

What happened that it went out?

Not everyone does in depth research on a game before they buy it, so it's possible they didn't know before they bought it. Besides even if they did know before hand it doesn't preclude them from complaining about it afterwards if it turns out to be more annoying and more inconvenient than they thought it would be.

Your light bulb comparison is nonsense. The difference is the light bulb literally cannot operate without power. They don't have a choice to make light bulbs that don't require being connected to power. They didn't just make an arbitrary choice to force you to have it connected to the power. If they did have a choice and it was possible to make light bulbs that don't require power, then you'd have a valid point. And you WOULD see people being pissed at light bulb makers for making them require power when it's not necessary.
#8DisgustipatedPosted 4/30/2013 11:42:45 AM
rowgue34 posted...
Not everyone does in depth research on a game before they buy it, so it's possible they didn't know before they bought it.

Why are you making excuses like this? People need to be informed consumers.
---
your best friend's drug dealer
#9rowgue34Posted 4/30/2013 10:20:03 PM
Disgustipated posted...
rowgue34 posted...
Not everyone does in depth research on a game before they buy it, so it's possible they didn't know before they bought it.

Why are you making excuses like this? People need to be informed consumers.

It's not an excuse. It's simply pointing out that saying he bought the game knowing it was online required isn't necessarily true. In fact it's not even very likely.

And people need to stop with the people need to be informed consumers nonsense when discussing video games. He wasn't spending his life savings on a house, he was buying a friggen video game. It isn't a life altering decision that would demand extensive research. People can and do purchase video games as impulse buys. In fact that makes up the vast majority of purchases. And having not researched every aspect of game before buying it does not preclude you from being displeased with aspects of it after you've purchased it.
#10DisgustipatedPosted 5/1/2013 12:04:26 AM
You are right, buying a video game doesn't require a lot of research. Good thing all the required information that is needed to play this game properly was conveniently printed on the back of the game case in the section marked "System Requirements." The information is right there not only on the box but on the website of Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy, and probably every other site that sells it.

Just want to point out that the light bulb comparison is not nonsense. SimCity was made to require an internet connection and not having that makes the game unplayable. Kind of like how not having power makes a light bulb not work.
---
your best friend's drug dealer