Ah always online is really proving to be annoying

#11holden4everPosted 5/1/2013 12:50:36 AM
Just want to point out that the light bulb comparison is not nonsense. SimCity was made to require an internet connection and not having that makes the game unplayable. Kind of like how not having power makes a light bulb not work.

Sim City didn't need to be made to only work with an internet connection, just like countless other games. It was a decision that EA/Maxis made. Games have been played for over 30 years without having the need for an internet connection whereas light bulbs need electricity to work.
---
http://thebulldogs.com.au/media/logo_2010.png - 2013 NRL Season - W/L: 1/4 - Last Game: Sea Eagles def Bulldogs 20-6 - Next Game: Roosters
#12DisgustipatedPosted 5/1/2013 12:58:27 AM
This isn't about what the game "could" be, it is about what the game actually is. I agree that this game should be playable without needing a constant internet connection, but that is not the case so it doesn't apply.
---
your best friend's drug dealer
#13Bikes-Posted 5/1/2013 5:51:53 AM
KHWyvern posted...
puppy posted...
I'm really enjoying this game as well, but if this always online becomes the future of gaming, I can go without it.

It's just annoying to see "beware, no Internet connection" being constantly flashed in my face while I build a city by myself on my single player game. This happened the other day when Comcast was having difficulties. I understand the risk of not playing a game when the power goes out, but not playing because of a third party provider screwup? Lovely.

The future of gaming looks bleak.

Hopefully publishers and developers will have enough sence not to do this with their games.

Hell, even Ubisoft ditched it if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123283-Ubisoft-CEO-Thinks-Gamers-Are-Ready-For-Always-On-Consoles
#14SlyClone2kPosted 5/1/2013 6:56:49 AM
How dare you find a disruption to your internet service that causes you to not be able to play a game inconvenient and annoying. My word. You knew what you were getting in to. That's your problem no one elses. You most certainly shouldn't voice your opinion in an open discussion forum.

/sarcasm

Even in comparison to the light bulb analogy, I'm reasonably sure that when the lights / power go out in your homes you're frustrated and annoyed.

It's hardly even worth getting in to the discussion about why this game or any game or console should always be online. If some consumers don't push back on it then manufactures will embrace it more. Then lets hope a steady and constant internet connection is always available to you. You don't change homes, your ISP doesn't got belly up, your parents keep on paying their bills, you never intend to travel etc etc.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124
#15rowgue34Posted 5/1/2013 10:26:56 AM
Disgustipated posted...
You are right, buying a video game doesn't require a lot of research. Good thing all the required information that is needed to play this game properly was conveniently printed on the back of the game case in the section marked "System Requirements." The information is right there not only on the box but on the website of Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy, and probably every other site that sells it.

Just want to point out that the light bulb comparison is not nonsense. SimCity was made to require an internet connection and not having that makes the game unplayable. Kind of like how not having power makes a light bulb not work.

Your light bulb analogy is so nonsensical it's ridiculous.

And you're getting entirely too carried away with the online connection thing. My only point was to point out that the OP didn't necessarily buy the game knowing it was online required. You can attribute that not knowing to whatever you wish and call them whatever names you please, but it doesn't change anything. And again video game purchases are trivial to most people. They don't do research and they don't comb the fine print on the box. They see something that seems to look like it would be entertaining and they buy it.
#16rowgue34Posted 5/1/2013 10:39:45 AM
SlyClone2k posted...
How dare you find a disruption to your internet service that causes you to not be able to play a game inconvenient and annoying. My word. You knew what you were getting in to. That's your problem no one elses. You most certainly shouldn't voice your opinion in an open discussion forum.

/sarcasm

Even in comparison to the light bulb analogy, I'm reasonably sure that when the lights / power go out in your homes you're frustrated and annoyed.

It's hardly even worth getting in to the discussion about why this game or any game or console should always be online. If some consumers don't push back on it then manufactures will embrace it more. Then lets hope a steady and constant internet connection is always available to you. You don't change homes, your ISP doesn't got belly up, your parents keep on paying their bills, you never intend to travel etc etc.

And you didn't even mention the biggest problem with it. At it's core it's an ownership issue. Any game that requires an online connection to a service in order to play, you don't truly own. Businesses and video game related businesses in particular are extremely unstable and volitile. A company goes belly up, as is common in the gaming industry, and all of the games you bought from them functionally cease to exist because there is no server to connect to. Not only is that a shady business model, but it's not at all settled whether it's even legal.
#17xoxide124Posted 5/1/2013 10:54:54 AM
This is a dead horse subject.

But..

Your all online obviously or you would not be here complaining about anything .. let alone a game being online only or mode

Do I agree with it.. NO .. I think we should have the option to archive and save our games and even restore even if we do have to play in the cloud..

I AM VERY MUCH about ownership over data and information. This takes away all your individual rights.

So.. that aside.. and it being a decision that was made and we cannot ourselves changes and will have to wait for a MOD person to come up with a way to mimic the information or grab it to save it for us ..

WHY is it a GOOD and Why is a BAD thing:

Good:
Playing with others
Easier to get content
Live Chat
More interactive competition and achievements (don't care myself)
Trading (online requires this mode to work at all between users)
Resource Sharing (online is required for this ability)
Great Works (Require Online Interaction even though part is rendered locally, resources are shared in cloud to others in game outside of loaded city)

So most of the CITY functions are COMPUTER side.. while data and related stats are stored online

Negative:
Can't save games
Can't backup games or restore games
Can Only Play ONLINE with no option for any offline mode
No resource sharing between communities and users
No content download or updates available without internet connection

Anyone else?

because unless you break it down and agree on certain aspects and understand both sides you will never have a valid debate on the subject that has already been mentioned since day 1.
#18rowgue34Posted 5/1/2013 11:03:21 AM
xoxide124 posted...

I AM VERY MUCH about ownership over data and information. This takes away all your individual rights.

Copyright law was never intended to create monopolies it was designed to prevent them. The entire purpose of copyright law was to place limits on the amount of time you could have exclusive rights to something. What we have now is not copyright law, it's monopoly creation law.
#19DisgustipatedPosted 5/1/2013 11:18:06 AM
rowgue34 posted...

It is not my light bulb analogy, I was merely pointing out that contrary to what you think it does make sense and is not ridiculous.

rowgue34 posted...
And you're getting entirely too carried away with the online connection thing. My only point was to point out that the OP didn't necessarily buy the game knowing it was online required. You can attribute that not knowing to whatever you wish and call them whatever names you please, but it doesn't change anything.

I am not getting carried away. I asked a question, you decided to answer it, and I responded to you. Now here we are. You are right in the sense that it doesn't change anything. He agreed to purchase what EA sold, and in doing so he agreed to buy said product based on EA's terms.

rowgue34 posted...
And again video game purchases are trivial to most people. They don't do research and they don't comb the fine print on the box. They see something that seems to look like it would be entertaining and they buy it.

It clearly is trivial to ThirdDegree as he hasn't been in this topic for a while, but you are continuing to engage in this conversation. Is it trivial to you? Regardless, the rest of your point here is silly and goes back to my first question. Why are you making these excuses? EA put the information in as easy to find place as they could: on the game box. It is only the fault of the person buying the game if they did not know what they were agreeing to buy.
---
your best friend's drug dealer
#20rowgue34Posted 5/1/2013 12:24:06 PM
Disgustipated posted...
rowgue34 posted...

It is not my light bulb analogy, I was merely pointing out that contrary to what you think it does make sense and is not ridiculous.

rowgue34 posted...
And you're getting entirely too carried away with the online connection thing. My only point was to point out that the OP didn't necessarily buy the game knowing it was online required. You can attribute that not knowing to whatever you wish and call them whatever names you please, but it doesn't change anything.

I am not getting carried away. I asked a question, you decided to answer it, and I responded to you. Now here we are. You are right in the sense that it doesn't change anything. He agreed to purchase what EA sold, and in doing so he agreed to buy said product based on EA's terms.

rowgue34 posted...
And again video game purchases are trivial to most people. They don't do research and they don't comb the fine print on the box. They see something that seems to look like it would be entertaining and they buy it.

It clearly is trivial to ThirdDegree as he hasn't been in this topic for a while, but you are continuing to engage in this conversation. Is it trivial to you? Regardless, the rest of your point here is silly and goes back to my first question. Why are you making these excuses? EA put the information in as easy to find place as they could: on the game box. It is only the fault of the person buying the game if they did not know what they were agreeing to buy.

You're just trolling. Stop being a moron.