I really have no idea why this was always online

#1BrackiePosted 5/5/2013 5:09:09 PM
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. What really was the whole point of it all? You don't interact with other plaers in any meaningfull way...it's all so totally pointless. And the worst part is, what actually was the beenfit to EA/Maxis for making it online only, especially given the wave of opposition and disastrous launch...
#2DarkPalestinePosted 5/5/2013 5:29:44 PM
Anti-piracy measure. No one has successfully pirated this game. And I've seen people who were waiting for the crack to come out say things like "Screw it, I'll just buy it"

So EA got their money that they probably wouldn't have otherwise.
---
Only the intelligent can recognize their own ignorance.
#3catsimboyPosted 5/5/2013 6:45:16 PM
I think the potential buyers they scared away for good with their always-online crap outweighs the people who just caved and bought it. Not to mention all the stupid design choices they made like small city size and no terraforming.
#4AntorPosted 5/5/2013 8:08:39 PM
Just sayin..

I never bought the game, yet played my fill of it..

Just sayin..
---
This ain't Sea World, this is real as it gets!
#5rikvanoostendePosted 5/5/2013 11:36:05 PM
Antor posted...
Just sayin..

I never bought the game, yet played my fill of it..

Just sayin..

Good to see your kind around, preventing global warming and all that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PiratesVsTemp(en).svg
---
Let's agree to disagree.
#6SoulTrapperPosted 5/6/2013 1:02:47 AM(edited)
It's the ultimate anti-piracy: not even people who bought the game can play it.(in the first days after release)

It's still causing a lot of issues, like losing cities, cities failing to load etc.
A lot of the bugs listed here are a direct result of the always online crap:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9469448.page

Overall, I doubt the little bit of extra cash they might have made is worth screwing over all their other customers.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#7darkace77450Posted 5/6/2013 1:20:42 PM
Brackie posted...
What really was the whole point of it all?

A) To force you to log in to Origin.
B) To ensure you can no longer play this game once they turn off the servers after releasing a sequel.
#8NoOneReallyCaresPosted 5/6/2013 11:53:18 PM
darkace77450 posted...
Brackie posted...
What really was the whole point of it all?

A) To force you to log in to Origin.
B) To ensure you can no longer play this game once they turn off the servers after releasing a sequel.

I am kinda leaning towards B being a possibility though I have always believed (and still do) that the primary reason is not to deter pirates (a strategy that has proven to not work in the past) but to limit modding to make small DLCs sell better. Instead of getting highway mods like in 4 we will have to wait for mass transit DLCs, for example.

Think about it... if things were not stored server side as much we could just fix or change the things we didn't like about the game instead of buying something they release to make things better. I also believe that the game was kept intentionally basic for the same reason; If you look at the day one dlc for Mass Effect and Dragon Age games the precedent is there for making stuff that fits great into the game and should be included then charging an extra 10 bucks for it. Hell, Simcity has a 10 dollar day one dlc (digital deluxe upgrade).

I went into this game purchase knowing all this because I have always like the Simcity series but with all of the problems this game has had it hasn't even lived up to my lowest expectations.
#9NewhopesPosted 5/7/2013 2:34:37 AM
DarkPalestine posted...
Anti-piracy measure. No one has successfully pirated this game. And I've seen people who were waiting for the crack to come out say things like "Screw it, I'll just buy it"

So EA got their money that they probably wouldn't have otherwise.

The game was cracked a few months ago.....
#10SlyClone2kPosted 5/7/2013 5:14:54 AM
^ A few months you say. Pretty impressive for a game that's not even been out a few months yet.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124