3.0 on its way

#21ghost140Posted 5/12/2013 7:46:36 AM
whitelytning posted...
I can't tell if some of you are seriously expecting them to make it so you can play offline?

I don't see why not EA wont keep these servers on forever especially when the costs start making EA hemorrhage money. So far I think this game as sold 1.6 million units, decent but im sure EA expected much more. EA is going to have to role out its paid DLC plan soon so they can start covering server costs.

I mean I know I could be wrong but how else is this online only game, that has had a price cut to 39.99 in less then 2 months, supposed to be making money in the long term?
---
"This game is now pay 2 gay" - Obsessed117 on same-sex romance in The Old Republic
#22catsimboyPosted 5/12/2013 4:49:52 PM(edited)
While I agree that getting rid of the always online would probably boost sales I think there are deeper issues at hand.
They probably don't want to appear weak, caving under pressure, and they probably want to put always-online in future games so they don't want to set a precedent of having to remove it. Remember you have to think like a greedy developer to truly understand the depths of their depravity. It's a shame that SimCity, a game I actually like once I get past all the problems, has to be dragged down by their bad business practices.
#23ReDDevil2112Posted 5/12/2013 11:23:50 PM
So far I think this game as sold 1.6 million units, decent but im sure EA expected much more.

Actually, the game is selling faster than EA expected.
---
They're a herd of people eating monsters! We can't let them have their way!!
#24rikvanoostendePosted 5/13/2013 1:03:55 AM
ReDDevil2112 posted...
So far I think this game as sold 1.6 million units, decent but im sure EA expected much more.

Actually, the game is selling faster than EA expected.

EA has a knack for painting shareholders a pretty picture, but since they don't sell SimCity through a neutral digitial distribution service, none can verify their sales or even their expectations. And their investor information page don't and won't show sales numbers/profit per game.
---
Let's agree to disagree.
#25whitelytningPosted 5/13/2013 7:44:44 AM

EA has a knack for painting shareholders a pretty picture, but since they don't sell SimCity through a neutral digitial distribution service, none can verify their sales or even their expectations. And their investor information page don't and won't show sales numbers/profit per game.

All companies want to give their shareholders good news. That has nothing to do with EA. Companies report things to the SEC and if they lie on those forms they are responsible for huge fines and possible jail time. I admit that doesn't mean companies never lie but it is the exception and not the norm.

EA's most recent filing stated that SimCity sold over 1.6 million copies. Their revenue from PC sales went from 180m to 250m in the quarter that SimCity was released. I don't know what their expectations were and although you are technically correct that it would be hard to verify their 1.6m sales number without private company information its not really fair to suggest that there is something wrong with the numbers.
---
http://i.imgur.com/iZdWIKJ.jpg
#26Laylow12Posted 5/13/2013 9:24:59 AM
Sedated posted...
people still care about this train wreck? lol

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#27ReDDevil2112Posted 5/13/2013 8:42:30 PM

All companies want to give their shareholders good news. That has nothing to do with EA. Companies report things to the SEC and if they lie on those forms they are responsible for huge fines and possible jail time. I admit that doesn't mean companies never lie but it is the exception and not the norm.

EA's most recent filing stated that SimCity sold over 1.6 million copies. Their revenue from PC sales went from 180m to 250m in the quarter that SimCity was released. I don't know what their expectations were and although you are technically correct that it would be hard to verify their 1.6m sales number without private company information its not really fair to suggest that there is something wrong with the numbers.

Yes. In addition, EA was not afraid to say that Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3 undersold. The argument that EA is just painting a pretty picture falls apart because they clearly arent hiding the bad news, and they would have no real motive to paint SimCity in a more positive light than any other game they sold.
---
#28rikvanoostendePosted 5/14/2013 3:04:55 AM
ReDDevil2112 posted...

Yes. In addition, EA was not afraid to say that Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3 undersold. The argument that EA is just painting a pretty picture falls apart because they clearly arent hiding the bad news, and they would have no real motive to paint SimCity in a more positive light than any other game they sold.

Very well. I stand corrected.
---
Let's agree to disagree.
#29ReDDevil2112Posted 5/14/2013 9:35:22 AM
Wow... I'm honestly surprised to see someone admit that on GameFAQs. Big of you.
---
#30KaushadPosted 5/16/2013 7:12:07 AM

They only undersold because they put ridiculous expectations on what they should sell.
---
If you believe in Jim Sterling and are 100% proud of it, copy and paste this into your signature to show your support.