You just can't win with this game.

#1MalumbrusPosted 5/22/2013 6:34:10 PM
My one city is doing very well financially, but my costs are exponential. $-15,000 an hour, fortunately my exports generate around $200,000 quite often so I'm in the millions. But what happens when my ore supply runs out? Won't be able to make metal for alloys.

My second city, which I helped along by sending at least $1,000,000, was prospering, making a cool $5,000+ an hour. What happens? Nuclear reactor melts down, causing 1/4 of my densely zoned areas to become useless. I'm now in the red with less than $10,000 left in the budget.

What a waste of time, neither seem worth salvaging. I know I could have done things better, maybe if I had a college/university, I could have prevented the melt down, but I have several colleges and a university in my other city and my second city has plenty of transportation options for commuters (it's a tourist city) as well as municipal buses in the industry city.

Guess I'm just going to play in sandbox mode from now on, to hell with achievements.
---
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
#2ertfertPosted 5/22/2013 6:42:17 PM
Malumbrus posted...
My one city is doing very well financially, but my costs are exponential. $-15,000 an hour, fortunately my exports generate around $200,000 quite often so I'm in the millions. But what happens when my ore supply runs out? Won't be able to make metal for alloys.

import metals, shutting down the ore mines should help offset the costs and there should still be plenty of profit leftover

radiation sucks, pretty much have to abandon that area of the city until it dissipates
#3ReDDevil2112Posted 5/22/2013 10:57:59 PM

... Then change your spec and move on. You're supposed to transition your city. You knew going in that you had finite resources. Go electronics, it's not like you cant afford it.

What a waste of time, neither seem worth salvaging. I know I could have done things better, maybe if I had a college/university, I could have prevented the melt down

Well yeah, you need educated sims for a nuclear reactor, which I'm pretty sure they tell you.

I mean this game has problems, but nothing you mentioned is the game's fault. Plus, it's good that the game keeps you on your feet. It's already rather easy, at least there's always something to tackle to keep you busy.
---
They're a herd of people eating monsters! We can't let them have their way!!
#4edarkcloudPosted 5/23/2013 1:23:59 PM
Like you said resources will ran out eventually that is why I don't rely entirely on them but just to help me make even more money on computers as my main money making.
Going this way I am making absurd amounts of money at least until those resources ran out, after that I will still make a lot with computers so is all good.
#5cpo335Posted 5/23/2013 10:00:59 PM
The problems you face are not the game's fault, and are actually some problems real life cities face today. There are plenty of cities that face nuclear radiation problems, such as Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, or the Japanese plant, and there are even more that face general pollution problems. Look at industrialized China, England, parts of the US... the list goes on.

And as for your city's specialization, there are plenty of Middle Eastern nations that would probably love to shift their economy away from oil simply because their supply will run out. I know for a fact that Dubai stated as an oil-rich city that primarily exported that resource, and became rich in doing so. However, they realized it was not sustainable and shifted away from it and moved into real estate and construction/manufacturing. They still export oil, but at a much lower rate because their reserves will run out in about 40 years. And how do you think OPEC is feeling now that so many Western nations are reverting to green technology, thus rendering oil worthless?

It's actually realistic and completely avoidable and fixable.
---
"...a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock."
#6TFHDeathUA709Posted 5/24/2013 6:00:56 AM(edited)
cpo335 posted...
The problems you face are not the game's fault, and are actually some problems real life cities face today. There are plenty of cities that face nuclear radiation problems, such as Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, or the Japanese plant, and there are even more that face general pollution problems. Look at industrialized China, England, parts of the US... the list goes on.

And as for your city's specialization, there are plenty of Middle Eastern nations that would probably love to shift their economy away from oil simply because their supply will run out. I know for a fact that Dubai stated as an oil-rich city that primarily exported that resource, and became rich in doing so. However, they realized it was not sustainable and shifted away from it and moved into real estate and construction/manufacturing. They still export oil, but at a much lower rate because their reserves will run out in about 40 years. And how do you think OPEC is feeling now that so many Western nations are reverting to green technology, thus rendering oil worthless?

There are 120 or so Nuclear Reactor plants in the US I believe. If they actually erupted at the rate that they do in this game we'd be out of usable ones this year. Listing 3 that had issues in the entire world isn't proof that they should be that unstable as in the game.

And the trade feature is broken. Yes, your options are to to either start with tech or start with a resource just so you can later move to tech/tourism.

Saying that it is realistic is silly. It's not even supposed to be completely realistic and having there only being 1 or 2 self sustainable ways to run a city isn't very good.

I realize that there are some that troll this board(not many though since there are only 13 topics total that have even been responded to in the last week) but the TC brings up pretty important balance issues that limit what you can actually choose to do with your city.

And don't even think about being able to turn off the Godzilla monster attacking your city option. That just wouldn't be "realistic" like this game is striving so hard to be /sarcasm.
---
The last time a Tiger took a beating this bad his wife had a 5 iron.
Roll Tide
#7cpo335Posted 5/24/2013 1:12:52 PM
TFHDeathUA709 posted...
cpo335 posted...

There are 120 or so Nuclear Reactor plants in the US I believe. If they actually erupted at the rate that they do in this game we'd be out of usable ones this year. Listing 3 that had issues in the entire world isn't proof that they should be that unstable as in the game.

And the trade feature is broken. Yes, your options are to to either start with tech or start with a resource just so you can later move to tech/tourism.

Saying that it is realistic is silly. It's not even supposed to be completely realistic and having there only being 1 or 2 self sustainable ways to run a city isn't very good.

I realize that there are some that troll this board(not many though since there are only 13 topics total that have even been responded to in the last week) but the TC brings up pretty important balance issues that limit what you can actually choose to do with your city.

And don't even think about being able to turn off the Godzilla monster attacking your city option. That just wouldn't be "realistic" like this game is striving so hard to be /sarcasm.

Those three meltdowns are the only major nuclear related disasters in the world and represent the worst case scenario in managing nuclear power plants. Nuclear power plants are actually very stable and have a very small chance of radical degradation, but SimCity does a good job at forcing the player deal with such occurrences anyways.

Obviously this game is by no means true to real life and only represents a fraction of what a real municipal leader would have to deal with, but for what it has, it does its job. Managing a city isn't just about growing it and seeing it prosper, it's also about dealing with its shortcomings, and SimCity introduces problems, such as a nuclear meltdown, to force the player to deal with that side of management. Sure a real city would never have to deal with Godzilla, a nuclear meltdown, and a power outage all in the same day, but things like that do happen in real life. Look at Oklahoma right now... does it not look like Godzilla just ripped right through there?
---
"...a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock."
#8ertfertPosted 5/24/2013 7:00:03 PM
TFHDeathUA709 posted...

theyre not at all unstable in the game or in real life

its just no mayor in real life is stupid enough to have it run by high school grads or less educated people
#9Sega9599Posted 6/5/2013 5:48:28 AM
cpo335 posted...

By that logic, we should have no problems along those lines in the real world, if they're all as completely 100% avoidable and (an important world you mentioned) FIXABLE.
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.
#10DalkinPosted 6/7/2013 2:44:12 PM
The last city I had ran out of power.

Trade was no longer being accepted from global market despite everything being functional. So I watched the route my trade trucks took... And guess what they did? They would exit the city and then drive up and down the highway, but never return to the power plant.

There were so many issues - caused by bugs and not myself that made the whole city collapse.
---
-This post is in no way shape or form a TOS violation-