Population management in this game makes 0 sense

#1Master of HatePosted 7/2/2013 8:39:58 AM
I don't get it.

My city needs more workers ALWAYS. I have legit 12 commercial buildings, and 16 industrial buildings, and like 600 Residential buildings. My population just tripled, and apparently I still don't have enough workers.

What is this garbage? Why is it so impossible to have enough workers, despite having towering skyscrapers, apartment complexes, and 14,000 people... apparently there aren't enough folks to run a gas station and such?

Ridiculous.
---
Writer, Reviewer, Interviewer, Beta Tester, Streamer, and Gaming Enthusiast
#2ertfertPosted 7/2/2013 4:02:43 PM
Master of Hate posted...
I have 16 industrial buildings

HOLY CRAP thats a lot for only 14000 people

dont pay attention to the yellow Industrial demand bar
your industrial buildings sell their goods to your commercial buildings, so if your commercial starts to outweigh your industrial, youll start getting demand
the thing is, your commercial doesnt care if its not getting any freight from your industrial buildings,

so basically its BETTER to have high industrial demand because that means your Industrial buildings will always have good business and no one else really cares
also, if you have a trade depot with a freight yard and its near empty, it will also cause your industrial demand to be very high

I have a (independent) city with 350000 people, the only specialization buildings I have are a processor plant, trade port, trade HQ and electronics HQ and i still only have 3 high density industrial buildings and i have quite a high demand for workers

you probably only need 4-6 industrial buildings depending on how many services and specialization buildings you have
#3darkace77450Posted 7/3/2013 10:49:36 AM
It's the piece of **** engine that's causing the problem. After a certain population milestone the game starts simming your population. So many of the people "living in your city" and actually live in your city. But the game also calculates jobs needed based on your population. So because your city has a larger population, there are more jobs to fill. But since the people "living in your city" don't actually live in your city, there's no one to fill those jobs. Great design, huh?
#4erictshortPosted 7/4/2013 12:55:33 AM
How is the traffic in your city? Some sims don't go to work if it takes them too long to get there.
#5LightHawKnightPosted 7/14/2013 8:55:30 PM
I find it stupid that less than 10% of your population even works... Shouldn't it be somewhere be at least around 25%?
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#6ToyKirbyPosted 7/18/2013 1:36:08 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
I find it stupid that less than 10% of your population even works... Shouldn't it be somewhere be at least around 25%?

According to the current unemployment rate, the amount of workers should actually be around 92% of the population.
---
GT: OnyxOdin
#7TFHDeathUA709Posted 7/18/2013 1:59:52 PM(edited)
ToyKirby posted...
LightHawKnight posted...

According to the current unemployment rate, the amount of workers should actually be around 92% of the population.

The unemployment rate doesn't take into account people that either can't work or don't want to.

Such as people underage or retired. Or people that just are taking time to not work at a job and aren't searching for one.

So that 92% doesn't include like 25% of the population (the retired and the underage) nor the ones not looking for a job.

Edit: Although I'm not saying that SimCity got it anywhere near right. The opposite in fact...their numbers make no sense. 10% of a population working is terrible. Plus the mandatory single work shift. Guess nobody works nights or evenings.
---
The last time a Tiger took a beating this bad his wife had a 5 iron.
Roll Tide
#8ToyKirbyPosted 7/18/2013 4:28:24 PM
Ah, yeah that makes sense. Was too hasty and forgot to take the other variables into account.
---
GT: OnyxOdin
#9cpo335Posted 7/27/2013 8:23:27 AM
I like how you say this game doesn't make any sense when you are playing it completely wrong. Utilize the "Details" tab to see exactly where you stand in terms of population, employment, economics, and tourism. At least 80% of your city should be residential, and you always want less industrial than commercial because industrial provides the foundation for the entire society.

Having unfulfilled freight orders is a good thing; it means industry is prospering and you don't want to have to worry about industry, ever. However if you have more industry than you should, and freight is not selling because the commercial sector is being overwhelming, then you can build a trade depot and ship the extra freight away.

OP has WAY too much industrial.

The amount of jobs is based on how much commercial and industrial zoning/density you have. The higher amounts results in more opportunities for employment, and since OP doesn't have enough people in his city, he is obviously experiencing worker shortages. That darkace guy said the game calculates jobs based on the population, which is incorrect. The workforce is determined by your population, and employment is determined by the amount of commercial/industrial zoning and density.
---
"...a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock."
#10KaiserDoomPosted 7/27/2013 12:12:20 PM
If I have only ~15,000 workers in a city with a stated population of ~150,000, there is a problem with the way this game counts things. The game is BS and it makes me sad because I have always loved sim city since first playing it on my SNES