So all the naysayers....

#11TFHDeathUA709Posted 7/29/2013 7:48:10 AM
Bossdog421 posted...
Just like every other online only game that gets cracked, you get a fraction of what legit players get. You can't even make certain types of cities because of the features the cracked game is missing.

The fact remains. The DRM worked. Simcity generated a ton of initial sales for it's Genre. If it were hacked as quickly as other games it would have sold less.

An overall win for Online only DRM. Too back the xbone took out it's DRM. It will take another generation before it's mainstreamed. Pirates deserve to be put in their place sooner.

You can't even build certain types of city's in the legit copy with all the bugs and bad mechanics.

DRM didn't work. "We listened to the feedback on SimCity and decided that The Sims 4 would be built as a single-player, offline experience." They aren't going to use it in the future. If it actually worked then they wouldn't care and would just keep using it.

The game has sold 2 million units but only 0.4 million in the past 3 months. So 1.6 million in about 6 weeks then only 0.4 in the last 12. Yes video game sales do naturally trail off but not usually so much so fast.

But yay. So far they've sold as many copies as Sim Theme Park did. Maybe soon they'll get up to Sim Hospital's numbers.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/simcity-sales-hit-2-million-6411970

Once again if always online worked they would keep doing it. They tried it on SimCity and it cost them sales and was one factor in the bad game(if it didn't they wouldn't care and would reuse it). They aren't willing to risk it on an actual big money franchise like The Sim's which is why they say they are backing off the always online.
---
The last time a Tiger took a beating this bad his wife had a 5 iron.
Roll Tide
#12TKDBoy1889Posted 7/29/2013 1:18:24 PM
Bossdog421 posted...
Just like every other online only game that gets cracked, you get a fraction of what legit players get. You can't even make certain types of cities because of the features the cracked game is missing.

The fact remains. The DRM worked. Simcity generated a ton of initial sales for it's Genre. If it were hacked as quickly as other games it would have sold less.

An overall win for Online only DRM. Too back the xbone took out it's DRM. It will take another generation before it's mainstreamed. Pirates deserve to be put in their place sooner.

DRM only hurts legit consumers for the most part. Pirates and hackers will still find a way around it, it's what they do. Meanwhile people with unstable internet connections or can't afford good internet suffer.
#13Tman144Posted 8/4/2013 12:47:26 PM
You know, they probably lost more money hosting servers than they would have lost through piracy. I'm sure the reason they're aren't repeating this for the sims 4 is money, not because some nerds on the internet raged about it.
---
Its not that I'm lazy, its that I just don't care.
#14pokefan35(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2013 12:40:35 PM
Tman144 posted...
You know, they probably lost more money hosting servers than they would have lost through piracy. I'm sure the reason they're aren't repeating this for the sims 4 is money, not because some nerds on the internet raged about it.

You're right, I am sure all the hugely bad publicity they got from the internet nerd rage had nothing to do with their decisions. I am sure it's all blindly about money, not about what makes that money.
#15TFHDeathUA709Posted 8/12/2013 12:49:56 PM
Tman144 posted...

That wouldn't explain why they wouldn't remove the online requirement now though. The game runs for like 20+ minutes without internet until it disconnects you due to the DRM requirement. They could easily update the game to not do the check and shut down their servers.

Several companies have tried this before such as Activision. The pretty much always back out of the full internet connection because it's a horrible system that alienates customers and negatively impacts almost all games.
---
The last time a Tiger took a beating this bad his wife had a 5 iron.
Roll Tide
#1695_EclipsePosted 8/24/2013 1:22:02 PM
Bossdog421 posted...

Lol, do you actually believe what you just typed?
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#17call of dutyPosted 8/28/2013 11:06:32 AM
TFHDeathUA709 posted...
AnonUnknown posted...
As i said in the other thread, nobody cares about the beta client.

Well to be far pretty much no one cares about the final release. I wish the game was better but sadly not.

This board has had like 8 topics responded to in the last week. The game was dead a couple days after release when people played it.

Actually that's false. The board continued to be lively up until about 2 months after release, where everyone just got tired from the same formulaic gameplay and tiny map sizes.
---
Number of people who claim that I'm an idiot because of my username, even though they were not born when I created my account nor ever played the first CoD: 13
#18LeBurns63Posted 9/6/2013 12:48:01 PM
Bossdog421 posted...

I think that if it was a better game, it would have sold more DRM or no.

I loved the prior SimCity games and waited for this one. When the MP and online DRM talk started I made myself just sit and wait. When the game was released and all hell broke loose, I first laughed about how stupid they were to make the game so dependent on MP and online, then I cried because I still didn't have a new SimCity game.

Still waiting. I wish they would just take one of the old games and update the graphics and fix that games problems, other than trying to re-invent the wheel and ending up with a square box.
---
I'm glad your opinion differs from mine. What a boring place this world would be if it didn't.
#19bvstarmaidenPosted 9/19/2013 3:31:47 PM
Bossdog421 posted...

lamest.
troll.
ever.
---
psn: hazelblue/hazelbluegirl