Will this eventually be on steam?

#1TeremeiPosted 7/19/2013 5:28:57 AM
I ask because I'm a new steam fan. I bought Sims 3 + 2 expansion packs the day they came out. But All of those are on steam and at great prices too. Wish I had waited. Anyway just wondering. If they could eventually fix a few things I would love to play it. But as it stands I'd rather just play Sim City 4.
---
B2FC: 3268 4276 3305 last $$: Persona 4 Golden LE, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Harvest Moon ANB
Playing:
#2TFHDeathUA709Posted 7/19/2013 7:49:43 AM
No, EA is pretty much refusing to sell most new games on steam because they want people to use their own online store.

I guess if they aren't good at games they might as well be not good at making a digital store/game management software too.

I can honestly say that unless Origin actually either offers something Steam doesn't(besides EA games) or starts outperforming Steam I have just not bought a single game since making the tragic decision to buy SimCity.
---
The last time a Tiger took a beating this bad his wife had a 5 iron.
Roll Tide
#3BatenKalasPosted 7/23/2013 5:54:30 AM
Wouldn't hurt if it popped up on Steam, but EA is too thick these days to do anything that makes any sense at all.
---
The Review Depot - http://reviewdepot.net
#4Hunter_mkPosted 7/23/2013 5:50:31 PM
stay with SC4, this game is not worth the money with the amount of bugs it has, also gets old fast
---
RIP Xbox One 2013-2013
#5happyscrub1Posted 8/5/2013 6:42:35 AM
BatenKalas posted...
Wouldn't hurt if it popped up on Steam, but EA is too thick these days to do anything that makes any sense at all.

Why share profits with steam? EA is too big to have to do that. Same reason other big companies like Blizzard don't put stuff on steam either.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#6TFHDeathUA709Posted 8/6/2013 12:10:17 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
BatenKalas posted...

Why share profits with steam? EA is too big to have to do that. Same reason other big companies like Blizzard don't put stuff on steam either.

You're never "too big" to sell through other distributors. EA has just chosen to try and be their own exclusive digital distributor. Kind of silly really. They "share profits" with every single brick and mortar store that sells the games(walmart, etc) so they obviously aren't against sharing some fee if someone else sells it. Most of those games in stores are just download codes anyways so it's not as if they are even physical copies of the games.

EA is basically saying "if we don't offer our game in physical stores then some people wont buy them so we'd better offer them there to sell more." Guess what? I haven't bought a single EA game from Origin except for this SimCity travesty. I used to buy their games on Steam (Mass Effect 1&2, etc) but I just don't see any reason to use a service that is substandard to the one I have just so some CEO can pat themselves on the back about starting their own digital store and not selling any other way.

I'm actually glad that they pulled out of Steam. I was tired of learning after the fact that there was some kind of restriction/hoop to jump through about playing an EA game on Steam.

The reason most people love sharing profits with steam is that they no longer have to "make" boxes of games and people that play their games get the free use of Steams functionality. I've bought plenty of games on Steam just because they were on there. I wouldn't have really noticed them otherwise.
---
The last time a Tiger took a beating this bad his wife had a 5 iron.
Roll Tide
#7GastroidPosted 8/6/2013 6:42:51 PM
BatenKalas posted...

There are far more people who exclusively use Steam versus those who exclusively use Origin. In a world where EA wanted to make as much money as possible, they would offer the game on both services but provide some incentives to get it on theirs first and foremost. It's enticing to new people who don't use either service but capitalizes on those who use the services of their competition.

That's really how the console industry works now, since exclusives have mattered less and less while the benefits individual to each platform have shifted farther apart. Why? Because it makes people happy and it makes money, a lot more money than simply trying to use exclusives as a benefit in itself.

Also, how Activision Blizzard does business isn't exactly something to emulate. They play the same game as EA of 'How many people will be pissed off versus how much money can we make in the short run'.
---
Quantum Gastroid
Third Generation Android Unit Series
#8happyscrub1Posted 8/6/2013 7:06:27 PM(edited)
TFHDeathUA709 posted...

You're never "too big" to sell through other distributors. EA has just chosen to try and be their own exclusive digital distributor. Kind of silly really. They "share profits" with every single brick and mortar store that sells the games(walmart, etc) so they obviously aren't against sharing some fee if someone else sells it. Most of those games in stores are just download codes anyways so it's not as if they are even physical copies of the games..

The reason most people love sharing profits with steam is that they no longer have to "make" boxes of games and people that play their games get the free use of Steams functionality. I've bought plenty of games on Steam just because they were on there. I wouldn't have really noticed them otherwise.

The only reason they let retailers sell their games because it's not possible for them to put up a video game shop in every freaking town in the world. You don't need to do near that with online. Just throw up a server (which they got tons of anyway) and open up shop.

And look at comment below about knowing when games come out.
---
#9happyscrub1Posted 8/6/2013 7:04:07 PM
Gastroid posted...

There are far more people who exclusively use Steam versus those who exclusively use Origin. In a world where EA wanted to make as much money as possible, they would offer the game on both services but provide some incentives to get it on theirs first and foremost. It's enticing to new people who don't use either service but capitalizes on those who use the services of their competition.

Also, how Activision Blizzard does business isn't exactly something to emulate. They play the same game as EA of 'How many people will be pissed off versus how much money can we make in the short run'.

The reason EA, blizzard, NCSOFT, SQUARESOFT, ect, don't need to go on steam is because they are so massive that people will know when their games come out regardless. The people who refuse to us anything but steam is too much a minority to throw away profits.
---
#10GastroidPosted 8/6/2013 7:10:51 PM
Which is why SquareEnix is crashing towards bankruptcy and EA has been dealing with plummeting profits and corporate infighting for years now. Square alone isn't too good of an example either since they would have gone bankrupt years ago if not for the merger... and of course they're bringing the entire SquareEnix ship down with only Eidos being profitable.
---
Lithos Mech Hektor
Slave of the Acolytes