There's DLC coming out when the base game doesn't work

#1Master of HatePosted 9/27/2013 11:07:37 AM
We all know this is how EA rolls... but seriously? How about you fix some of the massive underyling problems in the game before you try to grab another $30.00 from the people who originally purchased the game?

My god.
---
Writer, Reviewer, Interviewer, Beta Tester, Streamer, and Gaming Enthusiast
http://valkurm.enjin.com/home = FFXIV Ultros Free Company
#2AnonUnknownPosted 10/1/2013 4:54:00 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Four SkullsPosted 10/3/2013 5:36:13 AM
So is the game still massively broken? I haven't been keeping up with it since the launch.
#4nameless0101Posted 10/4/2013 8:27:25 AM
Yeah I wouldn't bother with it personally, it's good fun until you fill the city space which takes about an hour.

They have also announced they will never be increasing the city size which in my opinion effectively writes the whole game off.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool
#5galfasanta1111Posted 10/4/2013 1:06:49 PM
nameless0101 posted...
Yeah I wouldn't bother with it personally, it's good fun until you fill the city space which takes about an hour.

They have also announced they will never be increasing the city size which in my opinion effectively writes the whole game off.

It only "writes the game off" if you were expecting SimCity 4 part 2.

I haven't played much of SimCity 4, but I am glad with SimCity 5. To me the cities are medium size, not small. I am not comparing to SimCity 4, but from what i'm reading in to SimCity 5. When you get a city on plains that has no cliffs, no sea, IMO that city has plenty of room.

Plus the way Maxis are going with the game, they are planning on building upwards rather than outwards.
---
i7 3930k @ 3.2ghz | GTX 580 | 8GB DDR3 | 875W
#6derp420Posted 10/5/2013 11:49:06 PM
galfasanta1111 posted...
To me the cities are medium size, not small..

The problem is that the vast majority of players want large cities. Medium isn't good enough.

galfasanta1111 posted...
When you get a city on plains that has no cliffs, no sea, IMO that city has plenty of room.

Thank you for pointing out that far too many city spaces are unnecessarily hampered by geological formations. It's a big problem with the game.
---
www.cracked.com/phpimages/photoshop/1/8/3/3183_slide.gif
A waste is a terrible thing to mind.
#7Mocking CrowPosted 10/13/2013 11:45:50 AM
galfasanta1111 posted...
nameless0101 posted...

It only "writes the game off" if you were expecting SimCity 4 part 2.

I haven't played much of SimCity 4, but I am glad with SimCity 5. To me the cities are medium size, not small. I am not comparing to SimCity 4, but from what i'm reading in to SimCity 5. When you get a city on plains that has no cliffs, no sea, IMO that city has plenty of room.

Plus the way Maxis are going with the game, they are planning on building upwards rather than outwards.

So youre using the "im ignorant of the previous simcity games, therefore this game is great!" defense? Good luck with that, the rest of us will continue to acknowledge this game for what it really is... yet another means to TRY and suck money out of their dying fanbase.

We got Dragon Age 2, Simcity, The($500+) sims 3, the CoD/BF would be sports franchise, OH AND SIMS 4. Im sure theres others games they have/will cut corners on, or gut down to the bare minimum leaving plenty of space for overpriced DLC as well. Then you have falsifying reviews, the BS with this games launch in regards to penny pinching on the servers, and THEN to "apologize," they announce a free game for everyone involved, of course that was a free game of their pre-selected list, ALL of which went on sale for $10 or less within 2 weeks of them giving them out for free. Then you have their cover up lies for all their choices, which were clearly based on financial gains, for the games design. "With the way the game works, its IMPOSSIBLE or too costly to make the city size larger or the game offline." Oh ok, quite a few mods within the first week say otherwise...

"...If you were expecting sim city 4 part 2." No, guy(or girl), we were expecting sim city 5, and not a step down in a game features/mechanics. Would be like diablo 4 coming out with a 3 skill choice system and no auto attack... but then having dlc that gives you auto attack. You can't justify it, so stop trying.

Glad to come back to this board to still find this game sitting at its more than generous rating.
---
Normal was defined by an arrogant or closed minded man who knew too little.
#8jayj420Posted 10/14/2013 8:00:03 PM
What is broken about it? I have had the game since launch and it always seemed to work fine for me.
#9Master of Hate(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 9:07:58 AM
If I had to try and describe all the problems... let's see.

1) A small % of your total population actually serves as "workers". You can't expect people to build specialized cities when they NEED 150,000 residents to fill roughly 25,000 jobs. This is further exacerbated by the problems of city sizes. It's awful having to be zoned nearly 60%R in your supposed industrial powerhouse city.

2) Traffic. It was, is, and has continued to be the bane of this game. Get a city to around 250k, and watch the traffic completely fail. It'll come to a total standstill in some cases. They've tried to create workarounds (flying vehicles) but that's still not solving the problem. This, in turn leads to city meltdowns when you have...

3) Emergency vehicles indefinitely delayed by traffic problems. Your city is literally burning and on fire. But your trucks can't get down the street. As a result, your city burns helplessly while you can't even do anything about it. How about adding a special road type with an emergency vehicle lane, or having it like real life, where vehicles pull to the side to make room for emergency vehicles to pass???

4) The diminishing returns on commercial cities and the over-flow of ONLY Hotels popping up leads to problematic commercial zones. Nothing like having 1 tourist building, and having 87 hotels in your city. This leads to constant complaints about nowhere to shop, which in turn leads to reduced happiness, reduced profits, and reduced tax gains.

5) The fact that there's no room for variety in city designs. You basically *have* to use a grid system if you're going to maximize your space. If you want to design a cosmetic city, that's up to you, but if you're going for a high density city, you need every last square to be utilized.

6) Buses and streetcars randomly get stuck indefinitely and permanently. I have no explanation beyond this yet.

7) The hard caps on mass transit make it an unattractive option the longer the game goes on. In a city size of 200,000, if you have 36 buses available, you're still only catering to roughly 1/7 of the population. Roads still get congested and clog. There are not nearly enough attractive options available yet (HINT: WHERE IS THE GOD ****ED SUBWAY?!!?!?)

8) As has been stated since release, map sizes are too small , especially if you are playing one with geographical hindrances. Playing on a city with a perfect usable plains is one thing, but add in anything else.... a river, a mountain range, a crater... and you have even less space to work with. These cities NEED extra space to compensate for the geographical hardships present. They already said they're never going to fix them, so I can't imagine maps that are anything other than totally flat plainslands will ever be attractive to anyone.

9) Cities don't communicate well enough with each other, either. You have up to 4 cities per block, but it's hard to know which cities are going to have workers commute to them, if they're going to be happy with it, if they aren't, etc. Ideally, you could make a FULL residential city, and it would serve as like a suburb to an industrial complex, or a commercial powerhouse zone. However, due to stringent mechanics, and the issue cited in #1, you can't do that. There's 4 connected cities... but they're all braindead. They don't communicate effectively, share resources effectively, share workers effectively, share freight effectively, share services effectively, etc.

These, mind you, are just problems I thought of in 5 minutes. There's plenty more.
---
Writer, Reviewer, Interviewer, Beta Tester, Streamer, and Gaming Enthusiast
http://valkurm.enjin.com/home = FFXIV Ultros Free Company
#10call of dutyPosted 10/17/2013 9:18:52 PM
To further on the traffic problem: Many of the tilesets have ONE SINGLE-LANED EXIT/ENTRANCE on-ramp to the region highway. If you haven't realized the complete idiocy of this monumentally stupid design decision (as well as the fact that you can't buy more entrances) then you don't deserve to live on this planet.
---
Number of people who claim that I'm an idiot because of my username, even though they were not born when I created my account nor ever played the first CoD: 14