Bigger maps update

#1WalrusIamPosted 1/19/2014 12:32:29 AM
"After months of testing, I confirm that we will not be providing bigger city sizes. The system performance challenges we encountered would mean that the vast majority of our players wouldn’t be able to load, much less play with bigger cities. We’ve tried a number of different approaches to bring performance into an acceptable range, but we just couldn’t achieve it within the confines of the engine. We’ve chosen to cease work on bigger city sizes and put that effort into continuing to evolve the core game and explore an offline mode. Some of the experiments we conducted to improve performance on bigger cities will be rolled into future updates to improve overall game performance."

Yep, well there you go. Managing a number of smaller cities is going to have to suffice, at least until a sequel. Here's the original link:

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/state-of-simcity
#2TFHDeathUA709Posted 1/19/2014 12:38:35 PM
That sounds like the same kind of excuse they made that offline mode could never work.
---
The last time a Tiger took a beating this bad his wife had a 5 iron.
Roll Tide
#3OrangePoetPosted 1/19/2014 3:01:04 PM
The good news is, when offline mode gets enabled, there is a good chance modders can find a way to increase city sizes. So there is hope that bigger cities will be possible.
---
XBL Gamertag: oPUNCHDRUNKo
It's not a matter of luck,It's just a matter of time
#4GastroidPosted 1/21/2014 1:56:50 PM
"GlassBox is balls, guys. Better luck next time!" - Maxis
---
Judicoid
Judicator-variant Android
#5Lord_VaderPosted 1/25/2014 12:11:01 AM
Well that pretty much seals the nail in the coffin for me. The game got my attention again with the offline update but looks like I'm never buying this pile of trash. I remember playing the beta and within the short time they let you play it, I was easily able to fill the map with buildings. Unless a modder puts in contiguous cities or allows bigger cities, this game is a forgotten relic to me.
---
Live long and prosper.
#6OrangePoetPosted 1/25/2014 3:06:35 PM
Lord_Vader posted...
Well that pretty much seals the nail in the coffin for me. The game got my attention again with the offline update but looks like I'm never buying this pile of trash. I remember playing the beta and within the short time they let you play it, I was easily able to fill the map with buildings. Unless a modder puts in contiguous cities or allows bigger cities, this game is a forgotten relic to me.

I feel he exact same way. However there is a chance modders can make this game great if they figure out how to make bigger cities.
---
XBL Gamertag: oPUNCHDRUNKo
It's not a matter of luck,It's just a matter of time
#7MegabreathPosted 1/28/2014 3:33:23 PM
Not just bigger cities but we need better infrastructure options and terraforming.

Of course EA decided what we actually wanted all this time was BladeRunner cities.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#8Trancer HunterPosted 1/28/2014 6:13:05 PM
even with the mods coming into saving this game.... you run the problem now that if you buy the game, you are showing support to the team that just had a deaf ear to everyone and was telling everyone what they wanted.
#9CELTEKKPosted 2/16/2014 8:14:50 PM
Yep, uninstalled.
---
3770k @ 4.8ghz
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
#10StarryKnightsPosted 2/20/2014 6:25:37 PM
Trancer Hunter posted...
even with the mods coming into saving this game.... you run the problem now that if you buy the game, you are showing support to the team that just had a deaf ear to everyone and was telling everyone what they wanted.

*executives
---
"If you're going to be a mod, you should work harder to get rid of your humanity. It's creepy." ~ Monker to The Paragon