And now that the demo's out...

#1dat_squallPosted 9/7/2012 8:48:43 AM
Post your impressions of the demo!

Gameplay mechanics were not exactly impressive, sadly. As far as the demo goes, Sol seems to be just a glorified MP bar that enemies can deplete when your HP reaches 0; even the system of adjustable skill levels is nothing new. The Awaken system was very lightly touched upon and there was no mention of combination attacks.

IMO the best part of the demo was visuals. Beautiful people in a beautiful world - the balcony looking out over the brightly lit city was a sight that reminded me of FF8. Stylish menu/interface designs are back, as typical of Imageepoch games like Black Rock Shooter, Fate/Extra, and 7th Dragon 2020.

That being said, Sol Trigger seems to place heavy emphasis on its plot - it's a JRPG after all - of freedom fighters & the significance of Sol. Hopefully, the actual game will have a story that is at least as good as Fate/Extra.

...One that the West will, most likely, never get to enjoy.

Also, Cyril <3
---
Come on...come on! I'm...right...here! SKEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIII- [Disconnected from server]
#2TranslatorTomPosted 9/8/2012 1:57:45 AM
dat_squall posted...
Post your impressions of the demo!

Gameplay mechanics were not exactly impressive, sadly.

Sadly? I jumped for joy that they didn't screw around and make some convoluted system. I hated Last Rankers ranking system. I didn't like Black Rock Shooter's action stuff. I don't want some action-packed, QTE-filled RPG, or one where you have odd time limits, funky parameters, and crazy systems with names like "Comparative Crystallization Chamber System."

I just want a good-old fashioned RPG, and that's what this is... And considering how rare such games are now, it's a real breath of fresh air.

I loved the demo. I only have two complaints.

1. It was shockingly short.
2. There's no clear-save, which means it's unlikely we will be able to carry our experience to the actual game. :(
---
-Tom
#3dat_squall(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2012 5:13:44 AM
TranslatorTom posted...
Sadly? I jumped for joy that they didn't screw around and make some convoluted system. I hated Last Rankers ranking system. I didn't like Black Rock Shooter's action stuff. I don't want some action-packed, QTE-filled RPG, or one where you have odd time limits, funky parameters, and crazy systems with names like "Comparative Crystallization Chamber System."

I just want a good-old fashioned RPG, and that's what this is... And considering how rare such games are now, it's a real breath of fresh air.

I did like 7th Dragon 2020, so I can agree with what you said. I expected Sol to be of more use than an MP bar, though, so that's probably why I wasn't so fond of the demo.
---
Come on...come on! I'm...right...here! SKEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIII- [Disconnected from server]
#4youngskillzPosted 9/8/2012 8:04:56 AM
it's pretty good.,,,,this game will be definitely worth playing.

visuals/artwork and music are amazing in this rpg.

an to think not many people even know about this game....it's a shame.
---
Melodic Death Bands of The Moment -- I Spit Ashes, Cipher System, Catch The Sun, Arise, Words Of Farewell, Dorgmooth, Sylosis, Disese Illusion.
#5TranslatorTomPosted 9/9/2012 3:08:08 AM
dat_squall posted...
I expected Sol to be of more use than an MP bar, though, so that's probably why I wasn't so fond of the demo.

Well, they did use it to open doors as well, and it was a nice touch that you got to choose which character would step forward to offer their Sol.

Sol being "just a fancy name for MP" is fine by me. Some games call it MP. Some call it SP. This calls it Sol. I did find that the "charging more Sol into a skill" thing was quite unique, personally. (Especially considering the more you use an attack, the more additional boosts become chargeable.)

We'll find more about its other uses in the actual game... Honestly, if they messed around with Sol too much, it would just get annoying, and would lose that "classic RPG" feel that it has going for it. We'd end up with something stupid and annoying, like FF8's draw magic system. Less is more.

One other thing that I also remember mildly disliking is that some save beacons let you transfer to and from your home base at any time (where your HP and Sol is charged instantly), but it's a pain to transfer back and forth just for a free charge. They should have made those beacons have a charging feature right there, so you didn't have to go through the base and the world map to get back each time.
---
-Tom
#6dat_squall(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2012 5:18:02 AM
The save beacon teleport is probably for longer dungeons, where you have to go back to restock your items/equipment mid-exploration. IMO this would considerably reduce the difficulty of the game though.
---
#7KouliPosted 9/11/2012 7:49:14 AM
Looks like another gimmicky pretty looking garbage, just like Final Promise Story. This is the spiritual successor of FPS after all...... Image Epoch has been on the decline and pretty much done for at this rate. Mikage is a man of gimmick, ever since the 'JRPG Revival' parade, his talent is nowhere near, say, Hino of Level 5Fail, who can at least over look things. The man behind the best of the best Image Epoch games, Kazuya Niinou, already left and joined with Squat Enix. That says something.

Good luck to those planning to _buy_ it, though majority here will pirate, as usual.
---
http://www.youtube.com/Kouli30
#8TranslatorTomPosted 9/11/2012 1:38:49 PM
Kouli posted...
Looks like another gimmicky pretty looking garbage, just like Final Promise Story.

Gimmicky? What's the gimmick? It seems like a pretty traditional RPG to me.
---
-Tom
#9Adell_d2Posted 9/17/2012 3:21:59 AM(edited)
TranslatorTom posted...
Kouli posted...
Looks like another gimmicky pretty looking garbage, just like Final Promise Story.

Don't listen to Kouli. He bashes the great majority of RPGs he play, then again it's HIS opinion, so don't let it bother you and form YOUR opinion about the game. If you liked the demo, buy the game and have fun.
---
Playing: PSO2
#10TranslatorTomPosted 9/17/2012 5:20:53 AM
Adell_d2 posted...
TranslatorTom posted...
Kouli posted...

Don't listen to Kouli. He bashes the great majority of RPGs he play, then again it's HIS opinion, so don't let it bother you and form YOUR opinion about the game. If you liked the demo, buy the game and have fun.

It's not that it bothers me. I just seriously want to know what this "gimmick" is that he's talking about. I can understand calling Last Ranker of Final Promise Story gimmicky... But this one actually seems pretty much by-the-books, at least from the demo.

In hindsight, he said "looks like," which I guess means that he didn't actually play it and just judged it from the visual similarities to Final Promise Story.
---
-Tom