Megaman 2 PTC, plus tutorials

#1DiscostewSMPosted 9/22/2012 1:40:48 PM
Not sure if any of you know me, but for the past couple of months I have been working on my own PTC project titled simply - Megaman 2 PTC. It is a recreation of the retro classic completely done with PTC and related assets. It is currently in development with no set date for demo release, but if current progress is demonstrating anything, it may be relatively soon. You can access the WIP videos either by my Youtube channel, or by my website.

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/DiscostewSM

Website - http://www.lazerlight.x10.mx/

Along with that, I also set up my website to host tutorials that I make. The first (and only one so far) involves making Large Backgrounds in PTC greater than 64x64 tiles, as well as scrolling through them. Take a look when you want.
#2smd_3dPosted 9/22/2012 2:06:59 PM
Yup! am following and cant wait to see the code behind this....I think your code will help most of us out.

Id love to see some tuts on the nes sound emulation that your talking about coding aswell instead of using general midi.
#3DiscostewSM(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2012 2:20:32 PM
I wouldn't say "emulation" of the sound. More of using current instruments (mainly PSGs + Noise) and a few custom instruments to get an approximation of them.
#4smd_3dPosted 9/22/2012 2:56:32 PM
PSGs + Noise
sorry thats kinda what i ment.
#5SamKitsunePosted 9/22/2012 5:30:10 PM
You know, I have various Mega Man concepts. Perhaps I would like to make one . . . if I'm not busy with another game I'm working on.

BTW, you can use MML for sounds as well. Just make sure it's not the same music layer as the one currently in use, like the actual music for the level.
#6DiscostewSM(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2012 9:25:06 PM
Just put up a new WIP video, which includes music and sound fx, as well as general implementations to the game.
#7jamieyelloPosted 9/23/2012 1:26:27 PM
Thanks for the tutorial! I couldn't figure out how to do that anywhere. Anyway Megaman 2 looks awesome
#8Hale-BoppPosted 9/23/2012 4:13:38 PM
Sweet, been following your progress on youtube and just bookmarked your site. The tutorials are much appreciated. I'd also be interested in reading a postmortem if you happen to do one after you're done with Megaman.
#9drexegarPosted 9/24/2012 10:58:47 AM
Hey great job, Ive been following this too. May I ask did you make the sound effect as mini music tracks? And do they play on the same channels and interrupt the music or they play on another channel (out of the 8).
#10DiscostewSM(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2012 11:41:57 AM
drexegar posted...
Hey great job, Ive been following this too. May I ask did you make the sound effect as mini music tracks? And do they play on the same channels and interrupt the music or they play on another channel (out of the 8).

They are music tracks (or considered jingles), and no, they do not interrupt the background music. The NES had only 5 channels outside of chips on cartridges (2 square, 1 triangle, 1 noise, and one dmc), so obviously sound fx that needed an active channel would take control until it was over. With Petit Computer, however, there are a total of 16 channels that can be played at any given time, though a music track can only have 8 allocated to it. So, unlike the NES, music and sound fx can be used together without interruption so long as you don't overcrowd it. While the built-in sound fx are called with a single BEEP command, they are jingles as well, allocating a number of channels for themselves.