Game Design Q&A.

#1KyubikenhonohPosted 2/25/2013 8:24:26 PM
I'm tired of sifting through everything just to find bits and pieces.

I apologise for my earlier thread, as it was unprofessional. I need help from proficient programmers.

I am trying to make a game, an rpg. problem is just spouting a link to a command doesn't help my case.

im going to detail what i want to do, and hopefully someone here can show me some options in code, i would appreciate details on how it works and why it works that way.

i need relevant information that isnt in the manual. a command list is easy to find. but knowing how to make a game, and establish a guide on game creation. is more important.
all my graphic will be done by hand, eventually i'll need to make mml editors. but for now...

in game design i want to make an rpg template i can recycle, and modify.

my first step is a fully functional title screen where we load a bg grp, a bgm, press 'start' to open a title selection menu for:
newgame
continue
options

thats what i want to do. any help on this?
#2jamieyelloPosted 2/25/2013 9:08:56 PM(edited)
Kyubikenhonoh posted...
I'm tired of sifting through everything just to find bits and pieces.

I apologise for my earlier thread, as it was unprofessional. I need help from proficient programmers.

I am trying to make a game, an rpg. problem is just spouting a link to a command doesn't help my case.

im going to detail what i want to do, and hopefully someone here can show me some options in code, i would appreciate details on how it works and why it works that way.

i need relevant information that isnt in the manual. a command list is easy to find. but knowing how to make a game, and establish a guide on game creation. is more important.
all my graphic will be done by hand, eventually i'll need to make mml editors. but for now...

in game design i want to make an rpg template i can recycle, and modify.

my first step is a fully functional title screen where we load a bg grp, a bgm, press 'start' to open a title selection menu for:
newgame
continue
options

thats what i want to do. any help on this?

Look up petitprofessor on youtube, he does tutorials. You'll need to learn loops and buttons to do all that. My advice is to start with something small, my first program just sifted through menus and played bg music and beeps, once you get the hang of it it's much easier. Sifting through links for everything all over the place is a headache though.

A menu vvvv

CLEAR
ACLS
LOAD "GRP:(the name of your grp)",0

LOCATE 5,5
PRINT "This is the menu."
@MENU
VSYNC 1
B=BTRIG()
IF B AND 1024 THEN GOTO @MENU2
GOTO @MENU

@MENU2
ACLS
PRINT "1. New
PRINT "2. Continue
PRINT "3. Options
INPUT N
IF N==1 THEN GOTO @NEW
IF N==2 THEN GOTO @CONTINUE
IF N==3 THEN GOTO @OPTIONS
GOTO @MENU2

EDIT fixed a typo
---
my sig was getting old.
#3Kyubikenhonoh(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 1:25:00 PM
thank for the bit of code, even though it wasn't what i had in mind i did something different. I was going for a text display of press start!
then shift to my title menu, from there i would use a button to go to different places. I did it with different code

here is what i wrote;
ACLS:CLEAR
SYSBEEP = FALSE
LOAD"GRP;DSHIFT",FALSE
BGMPLAY 3
X=11:Y=16:SELECT=0

LOCATE 10,16:PRINT "Press Start!"
@MENU
VSYNC 1
B=BTRIG()
IF B AND 16 THEN GOTO @MENU2
GOTO @MENU

@MENU2
CLS
LOCATE 12,16;PRINT"Newgame"
LOCATE 12,17:PRINT"Continue"
LOCATE 12,18:PRINT"Options"
LOCATE X,Y:PRINT"<-" 'for the hand symbol that what the "<-" is'
D=BUTTON(1)
IF D AND 1 THEN SELECT=SELECT-1:Y=Y-1
IF D AND 2 THEN SELECT=SELECT+1:Y=Y+1
IF SELECT<0 THEN SELECT=11:Y=16
IF SELECT>2 TH3EN SELECT=11:Y=18
VSYNC 1
B=BTRIG()
LOCATE 11,16:IF B AND 16 THEN GOTO @NEWGAME
LOCATE 11,17:IF B AND 16 THEN GOTO @CONTINUE
LOCATE 11,18:IF B AND 16 THEN GOTO @OPTIONS
GOTO @MENU2

@NEWGAME
LOACTE 5,5:PRINT"Create your Character..."
INPUT NAME$
#4Kyubikenhonoh(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 1:48:02 PM
From the last @label;
@NEWGAME
LOCATE 5,5:PRINT"Create your Character"'there was no "..."in it'
INPUT NAME$
here im kinda lost so here's what im trying to do I want the player to name their character, then pick their gender (will affect their sprite) and finally their attribute (Burst=fire, marine=water, celeste=wind, tecton=earth and eon=neutral) These will determine what kind of skills and spells available to them.

For now well just create our character and store it to a location along with the gender and type later ill add some classes but i want to store the choices to 1 location that ill just load later with continue ill need to work with save states well have 3 slots for saving data from the game.
#5_Green_Knight_Posted 2/26/2013 4:48:05 PM
Basics of game design.

Barrels explode.
The main character has amnesia, so that his/her background can be revealed slowly over the progress of the game and so the action can start immediately. (Bonus if the main character washes up on the beach and is found by a scantily clad young woman).
Fetch quests.
Stand on a pressure switch to open a door and any variation thereof.
Level up to 99.
Rats in the attic/basement/celler.
#6Kyubikenhonoh(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 9:11:08 PM
not what i had in mind, but here is what i was more thingking about.
We have a working titlescreen with a start menu, a title menu and now we need to work on the newgame function of our game.

i was thingking about have the player create and customize their character, after the character has been created, we save the character data somewhere so we can proceed to the newadventure by first loading the map and our worldmap bgm then play. after these too elements i want the sprite to be loaded with the information that the player chose for his character. this is the harder part. after we can do this ill try to ask about save states and loading saves.
#7PetitProfessorPosted 3/3/2013 1:40:21 AM
A little bit of advice Kyubikenhonoh,

Don't do anything by hand, use PTC Utilities on a computer if you own one.
Don't start out trying to make a game, start experimenting with FOR LOOPS and GOSSUBs that contain functions from snail face's function guide (http://snailfacia.zxq.net/).
Use variables like X, and Y to represent certain parameters of those functions.
Then start changing those parameters with lines of code like X=X+1
I can tell from what you've posted so far you catch on pretty quick, after you've played around with functions start scanning QR codes for games and examining the codes comparing them with the function guide.

That's really the best way to learn other than taking classes in digital logic or programming. Sometimes it get's a little tricky but if you put your mind to it you can master smileBASIC.
---
PTC Tutorials: youtube.com/PetitProfessor
3DS Friend code: 1719-3247-5897
#8Kyubikenhonoh(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 9:09:49 AM
Doing things by hand helps build skills in the long run. that is why just copying and pasting things isn't enough. what i need is to know and understand the code.

its also perfectly acceptible to try to make a game step by step. i want my thread to help others as well as myself.

this is why im writing what i learned on my own with tweaking of some lines of code.

right now i want to work on character creation, its important i learn how to create a player character and store the information somewhere.