-- First Update Out --

#1MwulfPosted 11/30/2012 11:22:07 PM
Update process is just as mind-numbingly slow as you'd expect. ~__~

Doesn't really fix much, but given how quickly they got it out, it bodes well for the future of BGEE. Here's hoping they start implmenting features, too (I really want to be able to select a default zoom level).

New patch with fixes for unicode characters in paths, mouse cursors not showing up, crash reporting

And less than 48 hours after the game launched.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#2ShadowDarkstarPosted 11/30/2012 11:36:40 PM
Excellent news.

Just had an issue with the cursor in full screen mode.
#3UponADarkThornePosted 12/1/2012 2:11:17 AM
This game was more playable the Skyrim on release. Was more playable than Fallout: New Vegas, too.

Both AAA titles. While there's more than a few things that annoy me, I'm not sure why people seemed to expect a flawless product.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#4noimnoturdaddyPosted 12/1/2012 9:19:44 AM
UponADarkThorne posted...
This game was more playable the Skyrim on release. Was more playable than Fallout: New Vegas, too.

Both AAA titles. While there's more than a few things that annoy me, I'm not sure why people seemed to expect a flawless product.

Do you realize how old this game is?

It isn't a AAA title by today's standards anyway.
---
This is great! I will use Heroin on the weekends now!
#5UponADarkThornePosted 12/1/2012 11:30:17 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...

It isn't, you're right.

It is, however, a game not designed to work on modern operating systems. On some computers, the graphics are all stretched out without the wide-screen mod - and the wide-screen mod causes some issues. (Least in my experience, it makes the UI ugly and a zooms out the game so far it makes it harder to play.)

And maybe I'm lucky, but I really haven't encountered any of these "game breaking bugs" - that, or I bought the game expecting a product that wouldn't be perfect since nothing ever is.

It's still better, IMO, than a modded game.
---
#6Fade2black001Posted 12/1/2012 11:40:08 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...

It isn't, you're right.

It is, however, a game not designed to work on modern operating systems. On some computers, the graphics are all stretched out without the wide-screen mod - and the wide-screen mod causes some issues. (Least in my experience, it makes the UI ugly and a zooms out the game so far it makes it harder to play.)

And maybe I'm lucky, but I really haven't encountered any of these "game breaking bugs" - that, or I bought the game expecting a product that wouldn't be perfect since nothing ever is.

What do you mean the game is not meant to work with modern operating systems? I have the original installed as well and it works without changing the comparability on it as well. So I do not understand what you are trying to say.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#7noimnoturdaddyPosted 12/1/2012 11:51:36 AM

It isn't the fact that it isn't a perfect release that irks me, because you're right, nothing is perfect. It's that the game doesn't feel like an enhanced edition at all. It's a $20 widescreen patch with some half-baked DLC features. This would've made more sense as a $5 (at most) content patch sold through GoG.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a nobody company trying to make a name for itself by buying the rights to operate on someone else's property and injecting it with the modern-day DLC model to generate their own revenue stream. I know there isn't any right now, but I guarantee there will be.
---
#8UponADarkThornePosted 12/1/2012 12:48:06 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
noimnoturdaddy posted...

It isn't, you're right.

What do you mean the game is not meant to work with modern operating systems? I have the original installed as well and it works without changing the comparability on it as well. So I do not understand what you are trying to say.

You're lucky, then.

On my computer, the graphics are stretched out and distorted, and I have to us the Wide Screen mod to make it look playable - and the wide screen mod made the UI look pretty horrible,
---
#9noimnoturdaddyPosted 12/1/2012 2:43:05 PM
That isn't compatibilty, that's your video card stretching the 640x480 (4:3) image to your widescreen resolution. If you're using an HDMI or DVI cable w/ a modern card you can disable scaling through the card control panel.

w_gui is a widescreen GUI that works for BG2, or BG1 w/ Tutu or the Trilogy mod installed.
---
#10CChaplinPosted 12/1/2012 9:51:08 PM
Maybe it's just BG2, then, but I know that the bloody game won't run on XP or greater without patches. That is, it'll run, but there's an extremely frequent bug where any NPC will have nothing to say to you even if their next statement is crucial to the plot.

Other than that, the biggest incompatibility is that the coding in the original game assumed a lower clock speed than modern computers have. This screwed up a lot of timing issues, breaking scripts and causing bugs. If you haven't seen any problems, you're either really lucky, using a really old computer, or bogging your computer down with other things.